Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

Speaking of United, how are they doing? It cant be that hard to fill 150 seats totall for them out of little rock, but who knows. What about another flight to IAD or a new one to ORD. maybe will have to wait on thoes, since the service is only about 3 to 4 months old.

BTW, the airport is looking really really good from the inside. i like the things they have done. I really like the windows by the gates. It lets alot of light in. But i still did get the feelling that its a small terminal.

And whats up with AA? did anyone ever figure out the reason for droping STL?

Whats new for 2008? any predictions. Lets hope is positive.

• 3 weeks later...

Delta is supposedly dropping the Salt Lake City flight in January. A victim to high fuel cost.

Wow. That's too bad if true, but if we had to lose one, that would be my choice. By far the worst thing would be if Delta pulled mainline service to Atlanta...Delta's financials are so tenuous, I've been nervous about that. Just two years ago it was all mainline (5 a day), but now its 7 flights a day (2 mainline, 5 regional). I assume the Delta Orlando flight is still operating?

Actually, Delta is doing TONS better now then they were doing about a year or 2 ago. They recently exited bankruptcy a lean airline. If anyone follows the airline industry, I would expect them to buy-out or merge with another airline by the end of next year. Anyways, Mainline Delta is way down. At one point, in 2006, there were 6 to 7 daily mainline(MD-80, 737). Flash forward too January 2008, I believe there is 1 mainline flight, with maybe 6 or 7 regional(Erj or Crj). There are many possible reasons to the draw down. Fuel is killing delta, and pretty much any airline. Due to the economics of the plane, flight, pay load, etc, they have to cancel the flight. Once delta gets a more economical plane that suits this route, I would imagine the flight would return. I think that the Orlando route will stay. Only because it

Actually, Delta is doing TONS better now then they were doing about a year or 2 ago. They recently exited bankruptcy a lean airline. If anyone follows the airline industry, I would expect them to buy-out or merge with another airline by the end of next year. Anyways, Mainline Delta is way down. At one point, in 2006, there were 6 to 7 daily mainline(MD-80, 737). Flash forward too January 2008, I believe there is 1 mainline flight, with maybe 6 or 7 regional(Erj or Crj). There are many possible reasons to the draw down. Fuel is killing delta, and pretty much any airline. Due to the economics of the plane, flight, pay load, etc, they have to cancel the flight. Once delta gets a more economical plane that suits this route, I would imagine the flight would return. I think that the Orlando route will stay. Only because it's the only link to Florida, and that route costs a ton of money.

Over all Delta service in Little Rock

2005 2008

ATL-7(4Mainline/3Regonal) ATL-1 Mainline, 6 CRJ

DFW-8(ERJ) DFW- service terminated

SLC-2(CRJ) SLC- service terminated

CVG-4(CRJ) CVG-2 CRJ

MCO-2(ERJ) MCO-1 ERJ

MSY-2(ERJ) service never started due to Katrina.

As long as passenger levels stay up, we shouldn't see too many flights canceled. But LIT is in a very fragile situation, due to the majority of the flights being on Regional Jets, and the HORALBE economics of those planes, a flight that was profitable with $70 a barrel, may now be unprofitable due to $90.

Source of the Delta news is Airliners.net. LIT isnt the only one getting the shaft, XNA, DSM, IND, all get cut.

yep, from what i'm hearing these CRJ's and ERJ's are biting the airlines in the a$$. The next gen CRJ's, Embraer 170/75/90/95, and new Q400's seem to be the way to go.

On a different note, is there any new info about a new terminal/renovation? It's been a while since I have heard anything about it.

Actually, Delta is doing TONS better now then they were doing about a year or 2 ago. They recently exited bankruptcy a lean airline. If anyone follows the airline industry, I would expect them to buy-out or merge with another airline by the end of next year. Anyways, Mainline Delta is way down. At one point, in 2006, there were 6 to 7 daily mainline(MD-80, 737). Flash forward too January 2008, I believe there is 1 mainline flight, with maybe 6 or 7 regional(Erj or Crj). There are many possible reasons to the draw down. Fuel is killing delta, and pretty much any airline. Due to the economics of the plane, flight, pay load, etc, they have to cancel the flight. Once delta gets a more economical plane that suits this route, I would imagine the flight would return. I think that the Orlando route will stay. Only because it

About a hundred people are moving to make way for the expansion of Little Rock National Airport. They live in the Hollinsworth Grove Housing Project at the corner of East 6th and Picron Streets. You can read the entire KTHV story here.

Of course this is simply an update regarding old news. However, I believe KTHV is mistaken when they repeatedly say "new runway." I think what they mean is "runway extension," right?

About a hundred people are moving to make way for the expansion of Little Rock National Airport. They live in the Hollinsworth Grove Housing Project at the corner of East 6th and Picron Streets. You can read the entire KTHV story here.

Of course this is simply an update regarding old news. However, I believe KTHV is mistaken when they repeatedly say "new runway." I think what they mean is "runway extension," right?

Well, I know that there is no new runway planned, so this is likely due to the extension of one of the three runways (which has been publicized in the papers, etc.).

I read an article in an out of state newspaper about the cutbacks at SLC, and it only mentioned Souix Falls (I believe) and Bentonville (XNA). Are we sure the LIT flight is being discontinued as well?

LIT is still going to have a flight to SLC, operating 4 days a week, effective January 3rd.

I ran across a news report that Frontier (Lynx Aviation) is starting to integrate 74-passengers Bombardier Q-400 turbo-props on routes from their Denver hub to Billings, and to Rapid City, South Dakota; Sioux City, Iowa; Tulsa, Oklahoma; and Wichita, Kansas. I trust the recent addition of the larger ERJ-170 (80 passenger) jets are a sign that larger, rather then smaller equipment will be used on LIT routes.

I ran across a news report that Frontier (Lynx Aviation) is starting to integrate 74-passengers Bombardier Q-400 turbo-props on routes from their Denver hub to Billings, and to Rapid City, South Dakota; Sioux City, Iowa; Tulsa, Oklahoma; and Wichita, Kansas. I trust the recent addition of the larger ERJ-170 (80 passenger) jets are a sign that larger, rather then smaller equipment will be used on LIT routes.

I've seen that too, but the report I saw didn't mention Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Haven't there been problems with the Q-400. I thought I read something about that, but maybe I was wrong.

I know the Q-400 is larger than many regional jets and they are suppose to be quieter than older turbo props, but there still is a stigma about flying on turbo props by most, including me.

I've seen that too, but the report I saw didn't mention Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Haven't there been problems with the Q-400. I thought I read something about that, but maybe I was wrong.

I know the Q-400 is larger than many regional jets and they are suppose to be quieter than older turbo props, but there still is a stigma about flying on turbo props by most, including me.

Apparently, the big selling point with this aircraft is that it is quiet, as you mention, which is why the include the 'Q' in the name.

Apparently, the big selling point with this aircraft is that it is quiet, as you mention, which is why the include the 'Q' in the name.

I took my folks to the airport today via the old route. It has been awhile since I've driven this way. The work to condemn and remove homes to make way for the longer runway is notable. A lot of house have been cleared.

• 3 weeks later...

Air Midwest will end its 2x Daily service to Kansas City in February. Air Midwest used the US airways Express name. It was only about 40 seats a day, but still that leaves us with no link to Kansas City.

Perhaps Southwest Airlines will add a flight to KC. There's also a small point-to-point airline named Express Jet that could come in and do something. Also, don

Air Midwest will end its 2x Daily service to Kansas City in February. Air Midwest used the US airways Express name. It was only about 40 seats a day, but still that leaves us with no link to Kansas City.

Perhaps Southwest Airlines will add a flight to KC. There's also a small point-to-point airline named Express Jet that could come in and do something. Also, don

That Air Midwest flight was a feeder for Midwest Airlines actually. It was flown with a US Airways Express aircraft, but the through ticketing was for Midwest Airlines. With Skywest taking over the regional operations of Midwest Airlines, unless Little Rock can support daily 50 seat CRJ service to Milwaukee, I doubt you'll see service on them again. Atleast from a Midwest Airlines point of view.

That Air Midwest flight was a feeder for Midwest Airlines actually. It was flown with a US Airways Express aircraft, but the through ticketing was for Midwest Airlines. With Skywest taking over the regional operations of Midwest Airlines, unless Little Rock can support daily 50 seat CRJ service to Milwaukee, I doubt you'll see service on them again. Atleast from a Midwest Airlines point of view.

I don't think you will see Milwaukee service on Midwest Connection, but i think service to LIT could happen via KC. There was something that came out in mid 2007 that listed possible cities that could get CRJ service to KC and it listed LIT as one of them. Wish i could remember the source, but I don't.

As for Southwest, I want A Kansas City-Little Rock-Orlando/New Orleans. BTW, i also want a Dallas-Little Rock-Nashville, which may happen sooner than later.

With all of the industry-wide buzz about possible imminent mergers within the domestic airline industry (some combination(s) of Delta, Northwest, Continental and United) - what are your thoughts? Will this help or hurt Little Rock National?

This is a very interesting point. Little Rock will always have service to Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, etc, but that

Also, I'm an amateur enthusiast for aircraft and airlines, but I don't follow your comment about the poor economics of the regional jet. It was my understanding that regional jets are much more economical on fuel per seat mile than mainline jets, hence the massive move toward them in all markets. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer mainline flights without question, but I'm just curious how you come to that conclusion.

Well WAY BACK in 2001, and in this industry that