Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

You should check out Airliners.net. Thats a really good place to get upto the minute info on the airline industry.

Or up to the minute rumors that aren't true. Either way, you have to know who to trust on there or else you'll fall for anything they say.

I don't think Southwest is the reason yields are low across the board. That has to do with fuel, equipment used, etc. It's not just Southwest. To be honest, I think airlines like Southwest and JetBlue keep the legacies in check to some degree. At least in some markets, like here in Nashville, that's the case. To put all the blame on Southwest would be narrow about the issue of yields and load factors for the legacies. The facts are that people DON'T want to connect at a hub IF they don't have to and Southwest fills that void quite nicely.

I don't think Southwest is the reason yields are low across the board. That has to do with fuel, equipment used, etc. It's not just Southwest. To be honest, I think airlines like Southwest and JetBlue keep the legacies in check to some degree. At least in some markets, like here in Nashville, that's the case. To put all the blame on Southwest would be narrow about the issue of yields and load factors for the legacies. The facts are that people DON'T want to connect at a hub IF they don't have to and Southwest fills that void quite nicely.

I wasn

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone cares, It looks more and more likely that a deal between Delta and Northwest could be announced in the coming weeks/months. This could affect LIT in someway. Just depending on how they merge.

Those are two of the airlines serving LIT with mainline. Too bad it isn't a different pairing.

• 1 month later...

I just read that Delta today announced major service cuts across the country. LIT wasn't spared. The Delta Little Rock - Orlando route is being eliminated effective 5/31/08. No surprises here really since Delta has been bleeding cash like there's no tomorrow.

This is too bad, but probably opens the door for Southwest to offer the service - many have predicted this for a while, in spite of current Delta service. Certainly, it would be cheaper than the $400/seat I paid the last time I flew LIT-MCO direct on Delta!

I just read that Delta today announced major service cuts across the country. LIT wasn't spared. The Delta Little Rock - Orlando route is being eliminated effective 5/31/08. No surprises here really since Delta has been bleeding cash like there's no tomorrow.

This is too bad, but probably opens the door for Southwest to offer the service - many have predicted this for a while, in spite of current Delta service. Certainly, it would be cheaper than the $400/seat I paid the last time I flew LIT-MCO direct on Delta!

ITs not so much that delta has been bleeding cash, its that they will start if they dont cut flights to keep cost down. And these RJ's that are the SUV's the sky are the majority of the flights being canceled.

I would hope that this might let Air Tran or Southwest jump in.

Also, just to note: Starting June 5, Northwest will upgrade its Flight to MSP from a CRJ to a E-170. But downgrade one of the MEM flights to E-170 (1 Airbus a319, 1 E-170 & 1 DC-9 to MEM) No other upgrades so far.

2008 will be interesting. Its only March!

Edited by LRguy21

ITs not so much that delta has been bleeding cash, its that they will start if they dont cut flights to keep cost down. And these RJ's that are the SUV's the sky are the majority of the flights being canceled.

I would hope that this might let Air Tran or Southwest jump in.

Also, just to note: Starting June 5, Northwest will upgrade its Flight to MSP from a CRJ to a E-170. But downgrade one of the MEM flights to E-170 (1 Airbus a319, 1 E-170 & 1 DC-9 to MEM) No other upgrades so far.

2008 will be interesting. Its only March!

Interesting. I've been amazed (but pleased) that someone at NWA has been gracious to keep mainline - particularly larger equipment such as the A319 - in service at LIT - especially on such a short hop! There for a while, it was 2 A319 and one CD-9. Ironic for you to mention this as I just hopped online to make a reservation on NWA to Detroit - outbound on the A319 and inbound on the direct flight from Detroit.

LRguy - can you explain the "reverse" economics of the regional jets that has occurred recently. Their original pervasiveness and adoption was predicated on cheaper seat miles correct, and somehow its now the opposite? I understand - somehow - that the higher fuel cost has actually made the regional jets expensive to fly compared to the larger mainline craft. Personally, being a tall guy, I like the idea of these becoming less popular in favor of mainline. I'd like to see less flights on larger planes in LIT (actually, I'd prefer to see larger craft AND more flights, but you know what I mean!).

• 3 weeks later...

Today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette reported that XNA is losing their direct service by American Eagle to both Miami and Raleigh - citing rising fuel cost and lack of demand (like this is surprising). The article noted that XNA was also losing service to Salt Lake City and Orlando by Delta, on top of Continental dropping Cleveland a few years ago. LIT also recently lost Salt Lake City and the rumor is that Orlando is next (though I think Southwest would pick it up quickly). I think Delta's decision at XNA and LIT probably have more to do with the poor state of Delta's financials.

The interesting thing noted in the article answers my previous question in the post above. It basically affirmed what I had heard, that the economics of the regional jet have been turned upside down by rising fuel costs. Specifically, the article noted that at current fuel costs, a mainline jet only costs $6/seat mile versus upwards of $10/seat mile of a regional jet (this improves with larger regional jets, which are more prevalent). I hope in markets the size of Little Rock, which straddle regional jet/mainline jet service, that this will result in more mainline service. I'm unsure how this will affect XNA, which I think - due to its business centric traffic - may fare MUCH better than other airports similar to its size (XNA currently has mainline with AA surprisingly).

Today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette reported that XNA is losing their direct service by American Eagle to both Miami and Raleigh - citing rising fuel cost and lack of demand (like this is surprising). The article noted that XNA was also losing service to Salt Lake City and Orlando by Delta, on top of Continental dropping Cleveland a few years ago. LIT also recently lost Salt Lake City and the rumor is that Orlando is next (though I think Southwest would pick it up quickly). I think Delta's decision at XNA and LIT probably have more to do with the poor state of Delta's financials.

The interesting thing noted in the article answers my previous question in the post above. It basically affirmed what I had heard, that the economics of the regional jet have been turned upside down by rising fuel costs. Specifically, the article noted that at current fuel costs, a mainline jet only costs $6/seat mile versus upwards of $10/seat mile of a regional jet (this improves with larger regional jets, which are more prevalent). I hope in markets the size of Little Rock, which straddle regional jet/mainline jet service, that this will result in more mainline service. I'm unsure how this will affect XNA, which I think - due to its business centric traffic - may fare MUCH better than other airports similar to its size (XNA currently has mainline with AA surprisingly).

I believe the loss of the Orlando flight has been confirmed. I hope that Southwest picks it up. With the way the airline industry is now I wouldn't hold my breath. I thought Little Rock still had one direct flight to Salt Lake City. I could be wrong. At least for now LIT is still getting the direct flights to Cleveland.

I'm not suprised that the the Miami and Raliegh flights were ended at XNA. Most questioned why they were adding direct flights to those cities from XNA.

Like you, I hope that airlines, particularly AA, will look at the regional jet service to LIT and think about replacing those with mainline jets even if means a loss of frequency.

I believe the loss of the Orlando flight has been confirmed. I hope that Southwest picks it up. With the way the airline industry is now I wouldn't hold my breath. I thought Little Rock still had one direct flight to Salt Lake City. I could be wrong. At least for now LIT is still getting the direct flights to Cleveland.

I'm not suprised that the the Miami and Raliegh flights were ended at XNA. Most questioned why they were adding direct flights to those cities from XNA.

Like you, I hope that airlines, particularly AA, will look at the regional jet service to LIT and think about replacing those with mainline jets even if means a loss of frequency.

I disagree about the preference of mainline over frequency. I would rather have more flight options than having a reduced number of flights on mainline. This is especially true for AA flights to Dallas and Chicago. They are short flights anyways, and I would rather have more options when picking times for departures/arrivals.

On another note, I am not surprised at all about XNA losing direct flights to Miami and Raleigh. I think we were all shocked when they were announced, and people from NWA were boasting about how there was so much traffic up there and how they could support those flights easily. Reality set in and ADG reported there was very little interest in those flights. Just one more reality check for those in NWA.

I disagree about the preference of mainline over frequency. I would rather have more flight options than having a reduced number of flights on mainline. This is especially true for AA flights to Dallas and Chicago. They are short flights anyways, and I would rather have more options when picking times for departures/arrivals.

On another note, I am not surprised at all about XNA losing direct flights to Miami and Raleigh. I think we were all shocked when they were announced, and people from NWA were boasting about how there was so much traffic up there and how they could support those flights easily. Reality set in and ADG reported there was very little interest in those flights. Just one more reality check for those in NWA.

Ditto the bit on frequency. Frequency is vastly preferable to cabin size for most of us how travel any real distance. In some cases, frequency is the difference between spending an overnight (unnecessary stay) in Miami or LAX on the way to another destination. However, if the cost is now higher for RJs than mainline, then the point is made. One wishes that these cuts weren't necessary, but fuel costs have skyrocketed, so it certainly doesn't come as a surprise.

I concur in general about a fundamental shift in frequency, but that's not realistic anyway. American Eagle has plus/minus 12 flights a day to DFW. At best, they'd change to 7 or 8, with 2-3 mainline replacing 4-5 regionals. I think that would be a great compromise, and would be similar to service in Tulsa and XNA.

I concur in general about a fundamental shift in frequency, but that's not realistic anyway. American Eagle has plus/minus 12 flights a day to DFW. At best, they'd change to 7 or 8, with 2-3 mainline replacing 4-5 regionals. I think that would be a great compromise, and would be similar to service in Tulsa and XNA.

I think the all RJ deal AA has going on at LIT has something to do with the crash of flt. 1420 several years ago. I guess some people at AA are still a little skeptic about sending MD-80's... :unsure:

Some like to think that it was all about the 1420 crash in 98 or 99, but they ran MD-80's into LIT all the way up until 02 or 03. I was on the last DFW Md-80 flight. It was really something special. LIT also got MD-80s to STL before they pulled the plug on the St. Louis hub. LIT fit into a dilemma: 10+ flights on Regional Jets or 7 Flights MD-80/ Regional Jets. AA chose to lower cost and pull the Md-80s, and replace mainline employees with AE employees. Now, 2008 is much different than 02. I hope to see AA put some MD-80s back into LIT, but AA is in a huge mess cuz the MD-80 is so un efficient. LIT would most benefit if AA had a 100-seat plane.

I hope southwest jumps on the Orlando flight. Or even Airtran.

Delta and Northwest are merging..

UPDATED: Continental and United ready if others merge: sources

I don't ever post here, but I thought this was probably noteworthy.

It will be interesting to see what happens regarding service in Little Rock. Both Delta and Northwest are 2 of the 3 airlines with mainline service. I hope this remains. Someone at NW has been our friend maintaining full-size equipment on all short-hops over to Memphis.

This could be interesting, and if talks between Continental and United Heat up, that could lead to more changes. Delta will have good coverage in LIT. Service to Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Memphis, Salt Lake City, and Cincinnati. I have a gut feeling that MEM and CVG service will be cut someday. I would LOVE to see Los Angeles and New York pop up on the map. Both Delta hubs. If talks between UAL and CAL heat up, they would have service to Denver, Washington D.C., Huston, Newark, and Cleveland. I would like to see Chicago come online to. If they merge too, I could see Los Angeles coming online too. That leaves American and US airways. I don

This could be interesting, and if talks between Continental and United Heat up, that could lead to more changes. Delta will have good coverage in LIT. Service to Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Memphis, Salt Lake City, and Cincinnati. I have a gut feeling that MEM and CVG service will be cut someday. I would LOVE to see Los Angeles and New York pop up on the map. Both Delta hubs. If talks between UAL and CAL heat up, they would have service to Denver, Washington D.C., Huston, Newark, and Cleveland. I would like to see Chicago come online to. If they merge too, I could see Los Angeles coming online too. That leaves American and US airways. I don