Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

I see United/Continental has dropped their service to Newark in may. I don't know if they plan on adding it back or not. But it looks like LIT is without NYC service again.

Oh goodness, are you serious?! What a loss. My business partner just flew on that direct flight last week, and we have a potential project there that we would be using on this flight. Furthermore, I had planned to use that flight on a personal family trip there in May/June! Sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...

That's good news. I can't think of any reason LIT shouldn't have direct NY service or why it'd be down in May specifically... Odd.

Well, after searching for flights this evening for a family trip to NYC this summer, our fears are founded. Apparently Continental has canceled the non-stop to Newark. This is stunning, given the fact that NYC is the #4 destination daily from Little Rock. What a disappointment.

p.s. While looking at Continental's route map, it of course still shows it active (because it is currently), but apparently they're adding DSM (Des Moines) in the next few months...wondering if they're getting our gate slot at Newark. Wow.

Well, after searching for flights this evening for a family trip to NYC this summer, our fears are founded. Apparently Continental has canceled the non-stop to Newark. This is stunning, given the fact that NYC is the #4 destination daily from Little Rock. What a disappointment.

p.s. While looking at Continental's route map, it of course still shows it active (because it is currently), but apparently they're adding DSM (Des Moines) in the next few months...wondering if they're getting our gate slot at Newark. Wow.

I like Des Moines, but that's a lot less useful direct destination than Newark...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We now have a new name for our airport. The Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport at Adam's Field.

I have no problem with naming it after Bill, but why include Hillary too? Also, why not name it the William J. Clinton National Airport. It would match what other airports have done. Just my opinion.

We now have a new name for our airport. The Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport at Adam's Field.

I have no problem with naming it after Bill, but why include Hillary too? Also, why not name it the William J. Clinton National Airport. It would match what other airports have done. Just my opinion.

I have a few problems with this. The first is that the whole thing was mentioned to the public and happened in a very, very short time period. Unlike input on other things the airport has done, there were no surveys, no substantial public input process that people could plan for... just a quick blurb, then one "comment" section that was hastily announced and the commission approved it. This really looks like something the board had already decided they were going to do no matter what so they kept it quiet and rushed the process so they could get it done. For something as expensive as renaming an airport, I think that's in very poor taste and it looks pretty corrupt from an outside perspective. The name itself also sounds much less formal than any other airport named after a president, and I think that's a poor choice. I also don't see the point in including Hillary's name. Yes, she has her own political career and has done well, but she hasn't been president and I just don't see why they're including her name- it draws out the name of the airport and the hillbilly thing is something that hadn't occurred to me, but the airport commission probably should have at least considered.

This whole thing is just very strange/shady, and the name they picked doesn't sound right to me. Disappointed in the airport commission on this.

I also don't see the point in including Hillary's name. Yes, she has her own political career and has done well, but she hasn't been president and I just don't see why they're including her name- it draws out the name of the airport and the hillbilly thing is something that hadn't occurred to me, but the airport commission probably should have at least considered.

Hilary was the legal counsel for the airport when she was with the Friday Law Firm. She was later the counsel for the Little Rock Airport Commission. I don't have a problem including her in the name. However, I would have just renamed it "Clinton National Airport" for both of them. The Bill & Hillary stuff is just awkard and does open up the "Billary" and "Hillbilly" nicknames.

But they didn't ask me. So be it!

Hilary was the legal counsel for the airport when she was with the Friday Law Firm. She was later the counsel for the Little Rock Airport Commission. I don't have a problem including her in the name. However, I would have just renamed it "Clinton National Airport" for both of them. The Bill & Hillary stuff is just awkard and does open up the "Billary" and "Hillbilly" nicknames.

But they didn't ask me. So be it!

What happens if for some reason Bill and Hill someday get devoriced? It could happen and then whose name stays with the airport? This is one of the reasons I am against a public facility being named after someone still living.

• 8 months later...

Clinton National Airport (LIT) announced today new seasonal non-stop service to Orlando on Southwest Airlines.  Service is scheduled to run from February 15 to April 13 withe one flight per day.  The airport is hoping success of the route will turn into permanent, daily service, and in fact noted that this is a "trial" period for the airline to evaluate demand.  

I would have to say if Jackson, MS can support this (being even closer that Little Rock), I don't see why it can't be successful here.  Nice to see some additional non-stop destinations added, though I do recall, and flew on Delta's direct service to Orlando back in the early 2000's (which was discontinued pre-financial crisis).

Clinton National Airport (LIT) announced today new seasonal non-stop service to Orlando on Southwest Airlines.  Service is scheduled to run from February 15 to April 13 withe one flight per day.  The airport is hoping success of the route will turn into permanent, daily service, and in fact noted that this is a "trial" period for the airline to evaluate demand.  

I would have to say if Jackson, MS can support this (being even closer that Little Rock), I don't see why it can't be successful here.  Nice to see some additional non-stop destinations added, though I do recall, and flew on Delta's direct service to Orlando back in the early 2000's (which was discontinued pre-financial crisis).

Great news.  As many people I hear talking about going to Disney World and on cruises out of Port Canaveral, I agree Little Rock should be able to support year round service.

• 3 months later...

Allegiant Airlines has announced twice weekly non-stop service to Orlando Sanford Airport.  Maybe Southwest will extend their season service to Orlando to year around service.

I had just the opposite thought...does this mean Southwest is NOT extending their service to Orlando beyond the 3-month trial period?

I had just the opposite thought...does this mean Southwest is NOT extending their service to Orlando beyond the 3-month trial period?

When Southwest announced their 3-month trial period, the talking heads at LIT said that it would be 2014 before Southwest would decide whether to make it a permanent option.

Southwest offers daily, direct flights to Orlando

By Gavin Lesnick

This article was published February 15, 2013 at 12:55 p.m.

LITTLE ROCK — Southwest Airlines are offering nonstop daily flights to Orlando through April, the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport said in a statement.

Officials say the "trial route" is scheduled to continue through April 13, adding it's possible it could return later if it proves successful.

“We’re very thankful that Southwest has provided the resources into the Little Rock market to offer this opportunity for our passengers,” airport spokesman Shane Carter said in a statement. “We ask that our community support this service so that it will hopefully return next year on a longer schedule.”

Reservations can be booked on southwest.com. Most fares were going Friday afternoon for about $175 each way, according to the website.

• 4 weeks later...

Judging by the photos posted on their Facebook page, the first phase of the renovation is coming along very nicely and almost finished. I haven't flown out of there since February, but it looks like it's made impressive progress since then.

New entrance sign:

478299_10151454111143020_1274796861_o.jp

New front to the expanded ticketing lobby:

921484_10151464636668020_791671421_o.jpg

I really like the look of the new lobby, very sleek and modern. The sign is nice, but I still wish they'd never have done the whole "Bill and Hillary" part of the name.