Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

Are other small city airports suffering as well?

Yes. Every time you see flights being cut here we're on a list of several other cities. Scroll up to the Cleveland thread and look at those cuts - bigger cities like OKC, Tulsa, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Norfolk, etc got the axe as well.

XNA does have an advantage over LIT in that its lack of a discount carrier (Southwest) keeps rates very high. That was considered a negative by customers but those high prices have made it worth airlines continuing to fly there when otherwise it would've been cut. Still, they've lost Miami and another destination or two as well recently.

Washington D.C. will get the axe after labor day on United. Another on bites the dust.

Orlando

Washinton D.c.

Phoenix

Salt Lake City

Frontier

Kansas City

Cleveland

To be continued!

Quite SAD!

Well first, this isn't a Little Rock thing, its an economy/state of the airline thing. This is happening everywhere.

None-the-less, its unfortunate, but not surprising that United axed Washington D.C. I just took a trip there 3 weeks ago, and Southwest was HALF the cost (direct to BWI) that United was (to Reagan). I paid $200/ticket round trip. It was over $400/ticket on all the legacy carriers.

Both airports are way too dependent on regional jets, which have become less profitable with the fuel surge. At least Southwest is doing well at LIT.

Yes, but one had hoped this would result in a shift back to larger equipment with less frequency (a real possibility at LIT), rather than outright cuts altogether (more likely at XNA)

Well first, this isn't a Little Rock thing, its an economy/state of the airline thing. This is happening everywhere.

None-the-less, its unfortunate, but not surprising that United axed Washington D.C. I just took a trip there 3 weeks ago, and Southwest was HALF the cost (direct to BWI) that United was (to Reagan). I paid $200/ticket round trip. It was over $400/ticket on all the legacy carriers.

Yes, but one had hoped this would result in a shift back to larger equipment with less frequency (a real possibility at LIT), rather than outright cuts altogether (more likely at XNA)

Is there an idle fleet of MD80s and 737s sitting around in mothballs somewhere?

Is there an idle fleet of MD80s and 737s sitting around in mothballs somewhere?

I wouldn't know, but the point is that the escalated fuel costs have reversed the economics between regional jets and mainline equipment. The trend would obviously start in larger markets, where regionals had even permeated as well - so they may very well be in short supply for markets our size. I've been secretly hoping this would force AA (mainline) back into LIT.

I wouldn't know, but the point is that the escalated fuel costs have reversed the economics between regional jets and mainline equipment. The trend would obviously start in larger markets, where regionals had even permeated as well - so they may very well be in short supply for markets our size. I've been secretly hoping this would force AA (mainline) back into LIT.

I hope it does, but only if it doesn't eliminate a hub. I love nonstop service to Chicago and would hate to lose that (though Southwest offers it as well).

Delta would be another mainline candidate, especially to Atlanta.

I wouldn't hold my breath on AA. They are in a very very very tight squeeze. The MD-80's they use drink fuel. I don't think they would use them on the LIT run, but then again, they use them on the Oklahoma City run. The reason they use it on the XNA route is that they have a contract with Walmart. You cant compare XNA to LIT.

It would be nice to see more Delta mainline aircraft. The merger will be interesting. I could see them pulling mainline on the Memphis run, put it on the Atlanta run.

Yea, the united route is a bummer. I wish they would add service to Chicago. Im praying that they don't pull out. the Denver route cant be making alot of money. I wish they would upgrade the route.

LIT better hold on to its hat. But we arnt the only one that is getting hit hard. Lots of airports have lost flights. Its just sad to see all the growth that LIT has seen go down hill.

I think its safe to say that the new terminal is off for a while.

I wouldn't hold my breath on AA. They are in a very very very tight squeeze. The MD-80's they use drink fuel. I don't think they would use them on the LIT run, but then again, they use them on the Oklahoma City run. The reason they use it on the XNA route is that they have a contract with Walmart. You cant compare XNA to LIT.

It would be nice to see more Delta mainline aircraft. The merger will be interesting. I could see them pulling mainline on the Memphis run, put it on the Atlanta run.

Yea, the united route is a bummer. I wish they would add service to Chicago. Im praying that they don't pull out. the Denver route cant be making alot of money. I wish they would upgrade the route.

LIT better hold on to its hat. But we arnt the only one that is getting hit hard. Lots of airports have lost flights. Its just sad to see all the growth that LIT has seen go down hill.

I think its safe to say that the new terminal is off for a while.

Doesn't AA still use some MD80s out of LIT? Seems like I've been on one this year.

Not everything is exactly downhill at LIT...NW has upgraded one of the A319 flights to an A320. NW is now flying 1xA320, 1xDC95, and an E-175 daily to MEM. NW also upgraded the MSP run to an E175. I expect a major change-up later this year and early next with the merger.

Not everything is exactly downhill at LIT...NW has upgraded one of the A319 flights to an A320. NW is now flying 1xA320, 1xDC95, and an E-175 daily to MEM. NW also upgraded the MSP run to an E175. I expect a major change-up later this year and early next with the merger.

Yea, its nice to see NW upgrade something at LIT. I think its crazy having a A320 on the MEM run, which is less than 45 mins. And im glad that the MSP route got upgraded to the E-175. I like that plane. To bad the DTW route cant get upgraded. And as with regards to the merger, i expcet a big shakeup.

How about Delta? I know I've been on one this year.

Yea. Delta still serves LIT with a couple daily MD-88 flights. When they filed for Bankruptcy 2 or 3 years ago, they served LIT 7 Daily MD-88 and 737. All mainline. That has now been reduced to 2 MD-88, multiple CRJs, and a token CJR-900 flight. The larger CRJ's have a first class cabin. At one point Delta had mainline to Dallas and Cincinnati. That is long gone. I think once the merger is complete, we will see a shift of mainline from Memphis, to Atlanta, and possibly Detroit and/or Minneapolis. I see after all is said and done, I see Delta serving LIT via, ATL, DTW, MSP, and maybe MEM & CVG, that

Yea. Delta still serves LIT with a couple daily MD-88 flights. When they filed for Bankruptcy 2 or 3 years ago, they served LIT 7 Daily MD-88 and 737. All mainline.

Yes, I remember when Delta announced that, and it was pretty amazing b/c up to that point for several years, they had been starting to incorporate regional jets, and that announcement reversed it to all mainline. How times have changed for the airlines!

And yes, Delta has always served LIT with mainline. If this were ever in jeopardy, it would be now.

Anyone else read in the Democrat Gazette that LR National is in the early stages of developing a customs area where it can process passengers for international flights. I don't see international flights happening soon, but the article did mention that in March 11 flights bound for Dallas were directed here because of weather and if any of them had been international flights they would not have been able to use the terminal because there is no where for them to be processed.

More info came out over the weekend regarding the pursuit of an international flight from MEX. You can read the AP story here. Apparently, an entourage from LR are in MEX right now exploring options and expanding opportunities. Thought is was interesting.

its surprising that they are still talking about direct flights with there being a large decline in passenger numbers everywhere. I wonder what the talks with Bombardier will be about.... ;)

its surprising that they are still talking about direct flights with there being a large decline in passenger numbers everywhere. I wonder what the talks with Bombardier will be about.... ;)

I'm not so sure actual passenger numbers are down (although perhaps slightly) so much as the airlines are simply cutting back the number of available seats in order to "tighten the belt" and remain/become profitable in spite of the rising cost of fuel. In fact, the 2008 forecast from the FAA is pretty bullish through 2025. You can read the report here.

The report comments that, "in spite of these challenges, the number of passengers traveling has grown, demonstrating the value of air transportation to the public. Last year, that number was a record 765 million. U.S. commercial aviation is on track to carry one billion passengers by 2016. In addition, international traffic is growing at much faster rates than domestic traffic."

• 2 weeks later...

Minneapolis ends sometime in September. The flight was operated with a Northwest E-170.

The list Continues............

If oil had only stayed below $100, we wouldn't be in this situation.

I saw that in the article in today's Democrat Gazette. By the end of the year LR will loose 7 of its 20 nonstop destinations. Just as things were going well for LR National and then the oil prices spike and messes up everything. Seems as though the airport commission is still going to go through with the renovations to the terminal though.

I saw that in the article in today's Democrat Gazette. By the end of the year LR will loose 7 of its 20 nonstop destinations. Just as things were going well for LR National and then the oil prices spike and messes up everything. Seems as though the airport commission is still going to go through with the renovations to the terminal though.

First, one redeeming fact to consider is that this isn't market-specific - this is happening EVERYWHERE! The cutbacks are system-wide, though it does impact small-medium hubs more than large hubs.

Second, yes, hopefully the commission in moving forward with the new terminal plans/renovations...now is the time to prepare for the future. This industry-wide slump will pull itself out of a dive (sorry..couldn't resist!) at some point. Terminal improvements are for the long-haul (Again, I apologize! :lol: )

First, one redeeming fact to consider is that this isn't market-specific - this is happening EVERYWHERE! The cutbacks are system-wide, though it does impact small-medium hubs more than large hubs.

Second, yes, hopefully the commission in moving forward with the new terminal plans/renovations...now is the time to prepare for the future. This industry-wide slump will pull itself out of a dive (sorry..couldn't resist!) at some point. Terminal improvements are for the long-haul (Again, I apologize! :lol: )

You are right that it is happening everywhere. Especially in markets that have a lot of RJ service like Little Rock. RJ's aren't paying for themselves now. Also leisure destinations like Las Vegas and Orlando are loosing many flights as well.

The commission needs to think about the future, but I hope the cut in flights don't cause them to delay the renovations. I think the fact that they are going to take a piecemeal approach instead of doing everything at the same time will help.

Some of the changes they have already made (Starbucks near baggage pickup, table and chairs at baggage pickup, moving the Arkansas Gallery to pre-screening) are already improving the terminal.

4th of July traffic at LIT was up over 15% compared to the same period last year. Less flights... more passengers. Like I mentioned before, the long-term outlook clearly shows that air travel will only increase in the future. This is just a short term bump. The markets will sort it out. Keep your chins up.

As long as revenues don't fall to much at LIT, i would hope the airport continues on with the remode. It's vital for the future, that LIT be up to par with the airports nationwide. I don't think it would be smart for a new airport terminal, At least not at this time.

Airlines will continue to hurt for the time being. I hope SWA doesnt drop its Las Vegas flight. That means we will be down to Denver as the connecting point out west. I hope Southwest will add a flight here and there at LIT. Maybe orlando, or a New Orleans-Little Rock-Kansas City run. I would also settle for a Dallas-Little Rock-Nashville too! Anything would be nice.

Schedule as of late september

American: Dallas x10, Chicago x4

Delta: Atlanta x7, Cincinnati x3

USair: Charlotte x3

United: Denver x2.

Northwest: Memphis x3, Detroit x1

Southwest: Dallas x7, Chicago x1, St. Louis x2, Las Vegas x1, Baltimore x1

Continental: Houston x6, Newark x1

Not 2 bad, but i would hate to see it cut anymore.

Could the River Rail be carrying passengers to and from LIT within the next 2 to 3 years? The director of CATA seems to think so. Here's an interesting article on the plans to expand the River Rail to the airport.

Highlights of the article include:

-Designs from Jacobs Consultancy have RR stop just outside the terminal.

-Metroplan has contracted with Fort Worth's URS Corporation to conduct a study.

-First streetcar rolls to airport within 2 years of study's completion.

-Shared cost between LR, NLR and Pulaski Co.