Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

Could the River Rail be carrying passengers to and from LIT within the next 2 to 3 years? The director of CATA seems to think so. Here's an interesting article on the plans to expand the River Rail to the airport.

Highlights of the article include:

-Designs from Jacobs Consultancy have RR stop just outside the terminal.

-Metroplan has contracted with Fort Worth's URS Corporation to conduct a study.

-First streetcar rolls to airport within 2 years of study's completion.

-Shared cost between LR, NLR and Pulaski Co.

That sounds like a fabulous idea.

I was just reading a Forbes article about the world's ten best airports.

One thing in common: Easy access to downtown.

Obviously, I don't expect this to propel LIT into the the world's best, but it would be a nice feature.

Great for both the airport and downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, there is a Delta 767 stuck at LIT....

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...073...7312008-CR.html

Yeah, it was also all over Airliners.net. Apparently, they tried to use a push-back tow bar for a 757 (since they - not surprisingly - didn't have one for a 767), and it broke! The pilot made a request of Delta management to use a reverse (engine) thrust push-back, but was denied. They had to have one brought in from Memphis, as surprisingly the LR AFB didn't have anything appropriate.

Sort of funny reading the posts about people's pre-conceptions about being "stuck" in hick-ville. What ignorance...

Sort of funny reading the posts about people's pre-conceptions about being "stuck" in hick-ville. What ignorance...

Thats most of America's perception of Little Rock. Its refreshing when somebody not from here actually has something good to say, because its so rare. Most of them have never even been here or even researched anything about it, but bash it based on stereotypes. The airport's handling of this didn't help the situation.

I thought the airport was small, but for a city this size, LIT is actually pretty nice.

Thats most of America's perception of Little Rock. Its refreshing when somebody not from here actually has something good to say, because its so rare. Most of them have never even been here or even researched anything about it, but bash it based on stereotypes. The airport's handling of this didn't help the situation.

I thought the airport was small, but for a city this size, LIT is actually pretty nice.

That link was to a TV station's article (and comments) in Phoenix. Wouldn't it shock them to know that we have taller buildings in Little Rock and that our city doesn't look like a nuclear wasteland?

That link was to a TV station's article (and comments) in Phoenix. Wouldn't it shock them to know that we have taller buildings in Little Rock and that our city doesn't look like a nuclear wasteland?

I personally am very fond of Phoenix. In fact, it would probably be in my top 3 cities I would choose if I could live anywhere. But I definitely get tired of Little Rock being constantly associated with everything negative by the rest of the US. Either they think we've all got bubba teeth or they think we're a gang-infested war zone (thank HBO for that). A city's image in my opinion has a lot to do with whether corporations want to do business here or whether people will consider relocating here to for jobs. I think image is the one thing that is holding Little Rock back from becoming something great.

I personally am very fond of Phoenix. In fact, it would probably be in my top 3 cities I would choose if I could live anywhere. But I definitely get tired of Little Rock being constantly associated with everything negative by the rest of the US. Either they think we've all got bubba teeth or they think we're a gang-infested war zone (thank HBO for that). A city's image in my opinion has a lot to do with whether corporations want to do business here or whether people will consider relocating here to for jobs. I think image is the one thing that is holding Little Rock back from becoming something great.

What's going to happen to Phoenix when the water runs out? The current usage of Colorado River water is unsustainable.

I wonder why Arkansas has not gotten into the water exchange game. Utah pipes in water from California.

I'd like to think it's because we're smarter than giving all of our resources to other states. We can keep our water for ourselves (my preference) or save it for when it's a much more valuable commodity.

• 3 weeks later...

Little Rock National has decided on doing a phased redevelopment of the airport over the next two decades. Improvements including implementing a new inline baggage system with the baggage scanning equipment that currently sit in the lobby, refurbishing and extending the ticket area, moving the passenger screening area downstairs and enlarging it and adding five gates

Little Rock National has decided on doing a phased redevelopment of the airport over the next two decades. Improvements including implementing a new inline baggage system with the baggage scanning equipment that currently sit in the lobby, refurbishing and extending the ticket area, moving the passenger screening area downstairs and enlarging it and adding five gates

I suppose - given the economic and airline industry conditions - this is the prudent thing to do. However, it is unfortunate b/c the idea of a completely new terminal offered the chance to correct the many shortcomings the current "single" concourse design has. Its almost inconceivable that the original terminal didn't seem to plan for a future concourse, which had it done so, sure would have made things much easier (and less expensive now).

Specifically, a terminal layout like Memphis or Tulsa (same architect actually - Ed Stone) would have been ideal, with the departure road looping up to the second level to a common "terminal" bar (arrival/departure) with separate 10 gate concourses anchoring each end (had this been built originally with the single concourse, only the second concourse would be needed now). Arrivals would go down a level in the "terminal" to baggage claim and pickup drives...very common (and sensible) arrangement.

Now we'll end up with a single, 18 gate concourse. Again, not the end of the world, but definitely more crowded.

• 6 months later...

This is the current line up at Little Rock National.

Daily Service (Carrier, city, flights)

American: Chicagox5, Dallas/Fort Worth X10

Delta/ Northwest: Atlanta x9, Memphis X3, Detroit X1, Cincinnati X2,

US air: Charlotte X3

United: DenverX3

Continental: HoustonX6 Newark X1

Southwest: Dallas x6, Chicago X1, St. Louis x2, Baltimore x1, Las Vegas x1, Houston x1

If it isn't the high gas prices, then it's the economy, so 2009 could be a risky adventure. Luckily, LIT and the whole little rock area is still just bobbing along at an okay pace. Hopefully, we will not loose many more high paying jobs as Verizon takes over Alltel and Dillards restructures. But, as the rest of the country tanks, and people cut back, airlines will cut too.

2009 wishlist:

Delta to NYC, washington and to reinstate Salt Lake City and maybe Minniaplois. Mainline back to ATL.

US to Phoenix since Southwest cancled.

UA back to Washington.

Somebody flying too:

Orlando and Los Angeles.

Yes, they have stopped mainline service. We now have only CRJ service to ATL. :mellow:

Well, to be fair to delta, they have a morning and evening CRJ-900 flight. This aircraft includes a "First Class" section. While it isnt mainline by any means, its better than a regular CRJ-200.

BTW, Delta aka Northwest still has 2 mainline flights to Memphis. Although, i could see this being downgraded by the end of this year.

Well, to be fair to delta, they have a morning and evening CRJ-900 flight. This aircraft includes a "First Class" section. While it isnt mainline by any means, its better than a regular CRJ-200.

BTW, Delta aka Northwest still has 2 mainline flights to Memphis. Although, i could see this being downgraded by the end of this year.

Yeah, someone at NW has always been kind to LR...how they could justify large, mainline aircraft for 20 minute flights is crazy. But we'll take it! I believe they are Airbus A319 aircraft.

Now, why Delta would cancel mainline to LIT but allows it to remain at JAN (Jackson) is perplexing! Oh, and why did I not see this in the paper?! They made a HUGE deal about American Airlines canceling mainline a few years ago. I have no doubt that this is likely temporary, and/or that it will be restored when the economy (demand) rebounds.

Oh well, none of this is a surprise with the economy the way it is...we just need to hold onto destinations at this point. We can worry about aircraft later!

An article in today's DemGaz had the headline "American to expand flights at LR National" - so I read with expectation of upgrades, right?! Um...no. Apparently, they are adding ONE flight to Dallas, bringing the total to 12 per day, BUT THEY ARE CHANGING SIX OF THE TWELVE FLIGHTS TO ATR PROP PLANES!!! ARE THEY SERIOUS!?!?! This is totally a sham...a station as large as LR National (like 75th busiest airport by passengers in the U.S.) and they stick us with 3rd world equipment?! I refuse to fly American. I've been stranded by them more than once, and they stick us in the eye - likely because of the suit on their own MD-80 crash in LR.

If I was the airport manager, I'd been tempted to tell them to bring legitimate aircraft or don't even bother showing up. Honestly, do we really need TWELVE flights a day on jalopies, or 2 mainline and 6 regionals? I'd tell you which I prefer!

Augusta, GA's regional airport has only prop service and only to Atlanta and Charlotte. In a town as small as Little Rock we are lucky we have more than just a small regional airport with a few flights per day to Dallas and Memphis.

Well, label it as you will...but again, LIT is the 75th busiest by traffic. That's obviously not the case with Augusta, GA. Another comparison, XNA (Northwest Arkansas) handles less than HALF the traffic of LIT yet has American "mainline" service.

Well, label it as you will...but again, LIT is the 75th busiest by traffic. That's obviously not the case with Augusta, GA. Another comparison, XNA (Northwest Arkansas) handles less than HALF the traffic of LIT yet has American "mainline" service.

Will LIT remain as relevant with Alltel having been bought out and Dillards teetering over the edge of a cliff? Corporate presence as a lot to do with these things and is very likely the only reason LIT has so much more going for it than it's peers in Augusta, Shreveport, etc.

Will LIT remain as relevant with Alltel having been bought out and Dillards teetering over the edge of a cliff? Corporate presence as a lot to do with these things and is very likely the only reason LIT has so much more going for it than it's peers in Augusta, Shreveport, etc.

You know, from what I've read, LIT isn't really heavily dependent upon business traffic...it's pretty balanced (unlike XNA, which I understand is mostly business-centric, very little leisure). I think Alltel will hurt, but I can't seeing it account for substantial numbers. Little Rock's economy is quite diversified, and so is the traffic as I understand.

Shreveport is an interesting and valid comparison, though it's a poor comparison for air traffic. Shreveport has abysmal air service...less traffic than XNA. I don't follow the Augusta comparison? Des Moines (IA) and Jackson (MS), etc. seem more relevant as centrally located state capitals, similar size, etc.

You know, from what I've read, LIT isn't really heavily dependent upon business traffic...it's pretty balanced (unlike XNA, which I understand is mostly business-centric, very little leisure). I think Alltel will hurt, but I can't seeing it account for substantial numbers. Little Rock's economy is quite diversified, and so is the traffic as I understand.

Shreveport is an interesting and valid comparison, though it's a poor comparison for air traffic. Shreveport has abysmal air service...less traffic than XNA. I don't follow the Augusta comparison? Des Moines (IA) and Jackson (MS), etc. seem more relevant as centrally located state capitals, similar size, etc.

Because Augusta is the same size as Little Rock and its also similar in its relative distance from major cities. Jackson is quite a ways away from its nearest major cities and Des Moines is in a league of its own for its population. Little Rock could get by with minimal service to Memphis or Dallas from which people could fly to their respective destinations. I hope it doesn't happen that way, but with today's economic uncertainty I can understand it from a business perspective.

Because Augusta is the same size as Little Rock and its also similar in its relative distance from major cities. Jackson is quite a ways away from its nearest major cities and Des Moines is in a league of its own for its population. Little Rock could get by with minimal service to Memphis or Dallas from which people could fly to their respective destinations. I hope it doesn't happen that way, but with today's economic uncertainty I can understand it from a business perspective.

I don't consider Augusta a very good comparison to Little Rock on several levels, including population. The city itself is only about 50,000 - the only reason it reads that way is b/c the city and county merged in 1996 yet still totals less than 200,000. Pulaski County alone is 370,000, and the LR MSA of what will be near 700,000 in 2010 will probably exceed Augusta's by several hundred thousand people.

Jackson is just as close to New Orleans and Atlanta as LR is to Memphis and Dallas, and it is a central state capital in a similarly sized southern state.

Shreveport is similar to Little Rock in size, is in the same region, and is a twin-city, etc.

Des Moines is very impressive, very sophisticated, but I don't follow your comment that it is in a league of it's own in population as it too is not as large as LR.

In fact, not only is LR's effective MSA larger by a significant amount than all of these places, the median and household income is also measurably larger (though I cannot speak to income levels of Augusta). And back to the point, LIT's air traffic is also measurably larger than these markets, some by a factor of 2-3 times.

I don't consider Augusta a very good comparison to Little Rock on several levels, including population. The city itself is only about 50,000 - the only reason it reads that way is b/c the city and county merged in 1996 yet still totals less than 200,000. Pulaski County alone is 370,000, and the LR MSA of what will be near 700,000 in 2010 will probably exceed Augusta's by several hundred thousand people.

Jackson is just as close to New Orleans and Atlanta as LR is to Memphis and Dallas, and it is a central state capital in a similarly sized southern state.

Shreveport is similar to Little Rock in size, is in the same region, and is a twin-city, etc.

Des Moines is very impressive, very sophisticated, but I don't follow your comment that it is in a league of it's own in population as it too is not as large as LR.

In fact, not only is LR's effective MSA larger by a significant amount than all of these places, the median and household income is also measurably larger (though I cannot speak to income levels of Augusta). And back to the point, LIT's air traffic is also measurably larger than these markets, some by a factor of 2-3 times.

A lot of debate here about what LR is akin to but that doesn't seem to matter a great deal. AA is in business to make money....which is something airlines struggle to do in good economic conditions. Now we're in a downturn and AA is chosing to reduce the costly regional jet service, but is attempting to maintain several available flights and their respective arrival times at DFW. Frankly, I consider that a positive because there are numerous international locations that are difficult to get to without flexibility in terms of arrival times in DFW. Having those extra flights also cuts down on my time wasted in an airport.

While I'd rather have RJ or mainline service than the loud and relatively slow turboprop, I certainly understand the economic conditions and am thankful that they are maintaining several flights.