Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

A lot of debate here about what LR is akin to but that doesn't seem to matter a great deal. AA is in business to make money....which is something airlines struggle to do in good economic conditions. Now we're in a downturn and AA is chosing to reduce the costly regional jet service, but is attempting to maintain several available flights and their respective arrival times at DFW. Frankly, I consider that a positive because there are numerous international locations that are difficult to get to without flexibility in terms of arrival times in DFW. Having those extra flights also cuts down on my time wasted in an airport.

While I'd rather have RJ or mainline service than the loud and relatively slow turboprop, I certainly understand the economic conditions and am thankful that they are maintaining several flights.

Very valid points. I had been aware that fuel costs had "flipped" the cost advantage (per seat mile) of regional jets such that they had become tremendously inefficient equipment in this environment. As such, what I'd hoped is that this would be an impetus for airlines serving LIT to reintroduce larger mainline craft in lieu of what is apparently their opposite approach. I'd be quite curious how AA (and others) responses/changes have impacted other similar markets, such as Jackson, Des Moines, Tulsa (slightly larger) and others...

An article in today's DemGaz had the headline "American to expand flights at LR National" - so I read with expectation of upgrades, right?! Um...no. Apparently, they are adding ONE flight to Dallas, bringing the total to 12 per day, BUT THEY ARE CHANGING SIX OF THE TWELVE FLIGHTS TO ATR PROP PLANES!!! ARE THEY SERIOUS!?!?! This is totally a sham...a station as large as LR National (like 75th busiest airport by passengers in the U.S.) and they stick us with 3rd world equipment?! I refuse to fly American. I've been stranded by them more than once, and they stick us in the eye - likely because of the suit on their own MD-80 crash in LR.

If I was the airport manager, I'd been tempted to tell them to bring legitimate aircraft or don't even bother showing up. Honestly, do we really need TWELVE flights a day on jalopies, or 2 mainline and 6 regionals? I'd tell you which I prefer!

Gotta agree with you on this one Architect. I too was excited to read the headline that AA was going to expand flights at LIT, but was disappointed that half of the flights now will be on turboprops. I would have understood this last year when fuel prices were so high, but now that they are less than half of the cost as last year why switch to turbo props.

I too would prefer a switch to larger aircraft and less frequency to Dallas. 6-8 flights on a mix of regional and mainline jets would be fine with me. I refuse to fly on turboprops and I'm an AA frequent flier member. So I will fly on the non turboprop flights or fly on other carriers.

Delta is starting to reinstate some of the flights it has cut at larger airports. For example they are going to re-establish Salt Lake City service from Omaha. Hopefully they will add service from LIT soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

United Express is going to start service from Little Rock to Chicago beginning Sept. 2. Service will be on 50 seat Bombardier CRJ200 and 70 seat Bombardier CRJ700 regional jets. There will be three flights a day with departures from Little Rock at 6 am, 10:14 am and 2:43 pm. Departures from Chicago will be at 8 am, 1:10 pm and 8:15 pm.

United Express is going to start service from Little Rock to Chicago beginning Sept. 2. Service will be on 50 seat Bombardier CRJ200 and 70 seat Bombardier CRJ700 regional jets. There will be three flights a day with departures from Little Rock at 6 am, 10:14 am and 2:43 pm. Departures from Chicago will be at 8 am, 1:10 pm and 8:15 pm.

Very nice...especially in this current downturn (and associated traffic slowdown). They must be doing well with the Denver service, and are up to taking on AA and SW on the Chicago routes.

• 2 months later...

Random (nominally trivial) news:

1 - Just noticed that Northwest/Delta service to Memphis has downgraded to 2 mainline DC-9's and one CRJ, from what was not even a year ago 2 mainline A319's and 1 of the new, larger Embraer 190 passenger aircraft.

2 - Sadly, Delta still appears to be serving Atlanta with NO mainline craft, certainly breaking a 20-30 year tradition. Nine flights a day. All variants of CRJ's. It wasn't even four years ago (I remember it was post-9/11) that Delta decided to run ALL mainline to Atlanta, six a day from the nine mixed craft schedule before that included some regional craft.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Airliners.net, US Airways is going to be announcing very soon its intent to start service on the LR to DC (Regan National) along with about 15 other cities as a system wide upgrading of its Regan destinations.

If so, this is very good news.

Very nice. Mainline or regional (I assume regional)? At first, I had thought this was in direct competition with United, which used to provide service to Reagan (or Dulles?), but I recall that had been discontinued.

I love Airliners.net...great website.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen this conceptual drawing of a new terminal at LIT? It was at the top of this MSNBC column by Rob Lovitt. It can also be seen in a paper from Gensler titled "The New Airport" (from May '09) on page 11. However, I don't know that it's anything more than a dream at this point. Anyone else have any insight?

090728_LittleRock-Gensler_jpg.hmedium.jpg

Edited by arkansas_buff

Has anyone seen this conceptual drawing of a new terminal at LIT? It was at the top of this MSNBC column by Rob Lovitt. It can also be seen in a paper from Gensler titled "The New Airport" (from May '09) on page 11. However, I don't know that it's anything more than a dream at this point. Anyone else have any insight?

090728_LittleRock-Gensler_jpg.hmedium.jpg

I am pretty sure the Airport Commission voted not to build a new terminal because it is too cost prohibitive. Instead they voted to remodel. I could be wrong, but I think that is what I remember hearing.

I am pretty sure the Airport Commission voted not to build a new terminal because it is too cost prohibitive. Instead they voted to remodel. I could be wrong, but I think that is what I remember hearing.

That is correct. However, it's just a different approach to what will ultimately be an essentially "all new" experience. It will be rebuilt/renovated in place...a different means to the same end. I believe I heard it will be a multi-phase, $200M plus project over the next 10-12 years.

• 3 weeks later...

In July of next year, AA will upgrade 4 of its flights to MD-80's from the ERJ/CRJ type of aircraft. There will be 4 mainline and 3 regional.

Very, very, VERY nice! I had heard this rumor last week, but was (and am) uncertain on which routes. Is this DFW only?

As an aside - though I'm not complaining - that the timing seems odd. Boardings are flat, the economy has been battered, the airlines are struggling, and NOW they decide to upgrade?! They must have confidence in both this market and the economy in general. Plus, I imagine this has something to do with the fact that the economies of CRJ's are not what they've been cracked up to be. Anyway, awesome news!

Very, very, VERY nice! I had heard this rumor last week, but was (and am) uncertain on which routes. Is this DFW only?

As an aside - though I'm not complaining - that the timing seems odd. Boardings are flat, the economy has been battered, the airlines are struggling, and NOW they decide to upgrade?! They must have confidence in both this market and the economy in general. Plus, I imagine this has something to do with the fact that the economies of CRJ's are not what they've been cracked up to be. Anyway, awesome news!

No to mention the fact that MD80s aren't cheap for AA either because of their relatively thirsty engines. Does seem odd, but good news nonetheless.

In July of next year, AA will upgrade 4 of its flights to MD-80's from the ERJ/CRJ type of aircraft. There will be 4 mainline and 3 regional.

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Did you hear that LIT received a $5 million grant to upgrade the closed circuit surveillance system? Apparently they are still using VCR's. Yikes! Full story here.

Some where I read that US air was going to add non stop to Washington national sometime in 2010. I dont know if its still going to happen, but that would be really nice.

So far in 09, we have:

AA mainline returning in 2010.

United to Chicago O'hare.

.............. am i missing anything else? Even though this isn't a lot, i think its pretty good considering the economy fell of a cliff.

AA to Dallas and Chicago

US to Charlotte

DL to Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit and Cincinnati.

SW to Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Las Vegas, Phoenix and Baltimore.

CO to Houston and New York.

UA to Denver and Chicago

Still no LAX, Florida or Washington DC. These are the holes missing form the LIT network.

Some where I read that US air was going to add non stop to Washington national sometime in 2010. I dont know if its still going to happen, but that would be really nice.

So far in 09, we have:

AA mainline returning in 2010.

United to Chicago O'hare.

.............. am i missing anything else? Even though this isn't a lot, i think its pretty good considering the economy fell of a cliff.

AA to Dallas and Chicago

US to Charlotte

DL to Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit and Cincinnati.

SW to Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Las Vegas, Phoenix and Baltimore.

CO to Houston and New York.

UA to Denver and Chicago

Still no LAX, Florida or Washington DC. These are the holes missing form the LIT network.

Okay - so here's a quick compilation of '09 service changes:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - so here's a quick compilation of '09 service changes:

� USAir to Washington Reagan (still on track)

� SWA resumed direct service to Phoenix

� United began service to Chicago

� AA mainline returning to DFW (announced for resumption July '10)

Questions I have:

- why did Delta/NW cancel Minneapolis service? This would seem more important that Detroit.

- why did Delta cancel mainline to Atlanta? Any expectation this could return? Mainline still available to Memphis.

- would be nice if Delta would resume Salt Lake City.

- LAX service may be around the corner...saw a LR Chamber poll being conducted about interest.

Looks like Delta/NW is downgrading equipment on the LIT-MEM route next month. While the thee daily trips had been an Airbus A319 (mainline), a DC9 (mainline) and one regional, it appears a regional is replacing the A319...so, we're down to ONE mainline jet daily on Delta/NW. Yikes...it's like Delta is sinking while AA makes plans to return to significant mainline service. But frankly, I've always been baffled that the short hop to Memphis was ever mainline, and strangely, it was ALL mainline - even three A319's per day at one point about 18 months ago. I guessed this would probably happen once Delta was calling the shots. We apparently had an advocate at NWA!

Looks like Delta/NW is downgrading equipment on the LIT-MEM route next month. While the thee daily trips had been an Airbus A319 (mainline), a DC9 (mainline) and one regional, it appears a regional is replacing the A319...so, we're down to ONE mainline jet daily on Delta/NW. Yikes...it's like Delta is sinking while AA makes plans to return to significant mainline service. But frankly, I've always been baffled that the short hop to Memphis was ever mainline, and strangely, it was ALL mainline - even three A319's per day at one point about 18 months ago. I guessed this would probably happen once Delta was calling the shots. We apparently had an advocate at NWA!

I think the NWA memphis flights would continue onwards to places like Washington, NYC and maybe even to a hub. It was a like a direct flight with a stop at the memphis hub. I too think its crazy that the MEM flights were mainline while flights like Detroit and Minneapolis were regional. I think with delta now calling the shots, i bet we will see a totall downgrade to regional to memphis, but i could see mainline making a comeback on the Atlanta, Detroit and Minneapolis flights. Delta and NW have a very loyal following in The LR area, Especially Delta. They have been one of the major player in LIT for a long time.

I think a delta schedule like this would do well with LIT

Atlanta: 4x MD-80 or DC-9, 2x CRJ/ERJ

Memphis: 1x DC-9 2x CRJ/ERJ

Detroit: 2x CJR-900 (These include First Class in them)

Minneapolis: 1x CRJ-900

Salt Lake City:1x CRJ-700

Cincinatti will soon be gone as a delta hub. Its only a matter of time!

This is of course, only if the economy gets better! and btw, Business Week named LR the 4th best southern metro for business.