Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fear of Heights

New Orleans led nation in personal income growth (2005 to 2006)

4 posts in this topic

Hurricane Katrina was obviously an awful event, but it may have actually helped New Orleans a lot in their income numbers. Many low income residents were displaced by the storm thereby raising the numbers for the metro as a whole. Remarkable to go from 30,000+ to 20,000+ to 38,000+ in just two years. Going from 30k to 38k may be more impressive than the fact that N.O. jumped from 20k to 38k from last year to this year. Quite remarkable.

Some suprises came to light as well. Both New Orleans and Birmingham had considerably higher per capita incomes than metro Atlanta which suprised the heck out of me.

I knew wages had gone up across the region, but did not realize how much until now. That is a very impressive gain.

I knew wages had gone up across the region, but did not realize how much until now. That is a very impressive gain.

I mentioned this in a previous thread but a decade from now, N.O. will be less poverty stricken but it'll be at the expense of the poorer residents (the law-abiding ones). On the surface the income growth is a good thing, but when you really look at it it's not.