Ask not for whom the Road TOLLS, it tolls for thee

vicupstate

SC asks for Toll authority on I-95

Rather than do the sensible thing and rise the gas tax, we will soon be paying tolls on existing highways. NC, VA and other states will do the same.

Permission given to toll I-73

I-73 has gotten approval for tolls (the first time that has been approved in the US) also. I don't have an issue with that, since it is totally new construction. I-95 is a different story. More time wasted, more needless state emolyees working the booths, more pollution, all so that a politician can say "read my lips, no new taxes' all the while, the toll (on I-95) is just a back-door tax increase.

Tolls raised on I-95 should only go to I-95, IMO, if we must have a toll. But you know that won't happen. Raise the gas tax a few pennies and be done with it. That would be much more efficient.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit - I understand their reasoning with I-95, it is less driven by South Carolinians than I-26, I-77 or I-85. I would imagine with 95 & the new 73 they would be taxing mostly out of state residents pass through on their way to Florida or the SC coast.

All the more reason to raise the gas tax. I think that all interstates should be tolled. Interstates in Europe are tolled, and they work just fine. We will never seriously consider alternate modes of transportation as a society as long as we subsidize the automobile the way that we do today.

I would definitely raise the gas tax when prices decrease back to normal market conditions ($1.29-$1.49), then establish a special death tax for station operators who gouge the price and are willing to heavily pay for their demerits.

Tolling roads is also a good idea. Too bad the idea was not considered for Charleston's Ravenel Bridge.

All the more reason to raise the gas tax. I think that all interstates should be tolled. Interstates in Europe are tolled, and they work just fine. We will never seriously consider alternate modes of transportation as a society as long as we subsidize the automobile the way that we do today.

Tolling all interstates would at least be more fair. But raising the gas tax would have the same effect (increasing the cost of highway transit) without the added pollution and increased waste of time and gas at tolls.

The government does indeed subsidize roads in opposition to other forms of transit. I completely support stopping that.

Oh it was considered. It was a big political issue at the time, believe me. Vehement opposition by the folks in Charleston stopped it. Politically, Charleston is the top dog in SC and they used that considerable clout to kill the idea. Financial support from Charleston County via it's 1/2 cent sales tax filled part of the funding gap that NOT having a toll left.

Given the new Ravenel Bridge is in the middle of a major urban area, adding a toll stop would make for a traffic nightmare. I'm glad Charleston got there way.

• 3 months later...

The fed has granted permission for HOT lanes for I-95 and I-26 south of Columbia. The article doesn't elaborate on HOT lanes, but the acronym stands for High Occupancy Toll lanes. Its similar to an HOV lane, but you just have to pay to use it. This will be an effective way to increase capacity on these interstates and give drivers another option if they want to pay for it.

The Greenville News

I think since Columbia and Charleston are the states bigger cities and that is where a lot of the traffic is it would be a good idea for I-26 to have a toll between them. There really isnt too much traffic between Greenville and Columbia as compared to between Charleston and Columbia. I-95 definetly deserves to be tolled because so many beach goers use it.

-E

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20095291/

Due to pending highway fund shortfalls... we'll probably see a significant increase in the number of toll roads in the future. But I'd rather see the funds raised through increased gas taxes as it provides an incentive to be more fuel efficient. For most people traveling long distances, interstates are the most efficient and safest way to get from point A to point B. Do we really want to incentivize people to take roads that are less efficient and less safe?

Of course, with a toll we are effectively taxing out-of-state citizens... which is worth considering.

I think tolls are the way to go. While I am in favor of raising the gas tax, that would be a politically difficult thing to do when we already have high gas prices. Tolls tie the costs of building and maintenance directly on the use of the road. That way, people in Union County don't have to pay for an interstate in Jasper. NC is also considering tolls on 95, so there's a good chance the whole thing could be tolled some day, so we may as well get it out of the way.

I think that generally we are going to see a gradual shift towards alternate modes of transportation. The interstate system is "finished" according to the original plans, so now they ahve to figure out the best way to maintain it. I think one step would be to adjust the reallocation of state's tax dollars. Right now, SC gets back less than it sends to the Fed for transportation (92 cents on the dollar). With the 4th largest road network in the nation, it seems like that should be adjusted.

http://www.scdot.org/inside/HighwayPolicy/...alfunding.shtml

Archived