Ask not for whom the Road TOLLS, it tolls for thee

vicupstate

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think tolls are the way to go. While I am in favor of raising the gas tax, that would be a politically difficult thing to do when we already have high gas prices. Tolls tie the costs of building and maintenance directly on the use of the road. That way, people in Union County don't have to pay for an interstate in Jasper. NC is also considering tolls on 95, so there's a good chance the whole thing could be tolled some day, so we may as well get it out of the way.

Ummm...huh? :dontknow:

Why in the heck shouldn't we have lower gas taxes? Do you know how many people passing through SC from NC & GA stop here to purchase gas? A LOT! That adds money to the state coffers. Take away that incentive by raising gas taxes to national levels (insane!), and you will see gax tax income DROP. And don't worry, not a single state that I'm aware of has ever lower their gax tax on a permanent basis.

What's a fishing post? :dontknow:

I stand corrected on the national gax tax though. However, FWIW, gas is taxed at a national & state level, so you'll never have gas tax "equity". Plus add in distribution & formulation costs, and you'll see that different states will always charge different amounts.

What's a fishing post? :dontknow:

I stand corrected on the national gax tax though. However, FWIW, gas is taxed at a national & state level, so you'll never have gas tax "equity". Plus add in distribution & formulation costs, and you'll see that different states will always charge different amounts.

Gas is a commodity that only has a certain amount of elasticity. Higher gas prices will reduce some consumption, but it will never eliminate it or reduce it to the point that it actually impacts the environment significantly. The only way to truly reduce consumption is to have a built environment that doesn't require a car to get from point A to point B.

Gas is a commodity that only has a certain amount of elasticity. Higher gas prices will reduce some consumption, but it will never eliminate it or reduce it to the point that it actually impacts the environment significantly. The only way to truly reduce consumption is to have a built environment that doesn't require a car to get from point A to point B.

Archived