Strip District Open Market

NewBurgh

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...n/s_521663.html

I've been following this story closely over the last couple of months. While I tend to think it sounds like a good idea I'm having some reservations based on the complaints of the current tenants. I realize that the current tenants don't want to leave, but it seems like they could find other warehouse space in the city, or specifically in the strip if they wanted to.

Would this open market take away business from the current vendors on Penn and Smallman, or make the strip that much more of a destination and attract even more people? I don't have any data on business during the winter months, but I know that I shy away from the strip when it's cold outside.

I think the strip currently has more charm and authenticity than indoor markets that I've seen in Columbus & Philly, but I think the addition of this indoor market may make the strip an even bigger tourist destination (as well as shopping destination for residents in the region). Could it complement without taking away from the current strip?

Are "neighborhood concerns" simply more complaining from older residents who are suspicious of any new development (like the Mt. Washington crew objecting to any high-end condo development)?

But maybe this could be part of something much greater in the strip. Hopefully soon the Buncher parking lots will be developed, and maybe this market will help Strip residential development really take off.

What do yinz think?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard for me to swallow that certain businesses must be displaced to realize what would be a great addition to the Strip District. Neighbors in the Strip needs to be a bit more creative. Why the fixation with the one site? It stinks of residents trying to get rid of the truck traffic in the neighborhood or even shift Strip activity away from the traditional venues.

An interesting solution might be figuring out how to make Penn Ave into the market Neighbors has in mind. I'm sure this has been hashed before: Why isn't Penn Ave a pedestrian mall?

Archived