I need directions

torgo

I would have posted this in the Illinois board, but that one doesn't have much traffic.

I need some help. I am going on vacation in a few days and I gotta get from GR through Chicago and on towards Madison, WI. What is the best way to get through Chicago? It looks like there are several different freeways to choose from, but I want to avoid traffic and construction as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have posted this in the Illinois board, but that one doesn't have much traffic.

I need some help. I am going on vacation in a few days and I gotta get from GR through Chicago and on towards Madison, WI. What is the best way to get through Chicago? It looks like there are several different freeways to choose from, but I want to avoid traffic and construction as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Chicago is fine in the middle of the night.

I've done the drive to Madison and back during the day and it's a nightmare. When they were redoing the tolls, it took me 4 and 1/2 hours to get from the Wisconsin line to the Indiana line. In that case, it would have been better to take 39 down to 80. Not a straight path, but less traffic.

I might be too late here...but I used to drive from Kalamazoo to Madison at least 3 times a year.

My advice: Buy an iPass ($30), take the tollways (they have open-tolling now) and stick to I-90 the entire way.

Chicago is a crap-shoot either way (though not in the middle of the night so much) but I-90 never did me too wrong and it cuts off a good 15 miles from your trip compared to I-94.

If you were driving at night you shouldn't have had much of a problem. Best route would be to take the Skyway back to 90/94 and then 90 into Wisconsin. I-Pass is great, but don't think you could get one on short notice. Skyway overnight should have shaved about 30 minutes off your drive into Chicago. Unfortunately there is no real easy way to get through Chicago.

Archived