Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

torgo

I need directions

13 posts in this topic

I would have posted this in the Illinois board, but that one doesn't have much traffic.

I need some help. I am going on vacation in a few days and I gotta get from GR through Chicago and on towards Madison, WI. What is the best way to get through Chicago? It looks like there are several different freeways to choose from, but I want to avoid traffic and construction as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I would have posted this in the Illinois board, but that one doesn't have much traffic.

I need some help. I am going on vacation in a few days and I gotta get from GR through Chicago and on towards Madison, WI. What is the best way to get through Chicago? It looks like there are several different freeways to choose from, but I want to avoid traffic and construction as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the day of the week and time of day. Most direct is 196 to 94W to skyway 80/90 toll road. Then stay on 90 through downtown becomes nothwest tollway into WI and into Madison.

I'll probably be driving through the middle of the night wednesday

If you're going through the night, stick with the 94 route. I've never had any problems at night with traffic and I've had a few early morning flights that resulted in late night drives through town

At night I would definately take 90, you will shave an hour easy from your time instead of taking 94.

Chicago is fine in the middle of the night.

I've done the drive to Madison and back during the day and it's a nightmare. When they were redoing the tolls, it took me 4 and 1/2 hours to get from the Wisconsin line to the Indiana line. In that case, it would have been better to take 39 down to 80. Not a straight path, but less traffic.

I might be too late here...but I used to drive from Kalamazoo to Madison at least 3 times a year.

My advice: Buy an iPass ($30), take the tollways (they have open-tolling now) and stick to I-90 the entire way.

Chicago is a crap-shoot either way (though not in the middle of the night so much) but I-90 never did me too wrong and it cuts off a good 15 miles from your trip compared to I-94.

If you were driving at night you shouldn't have had much of a problem. Best route would be to take the Skyway back to 90/94 and then 90 into Wisconsin. I-Pass is great, but don't think you could get one on short notice. Skyway overnight should have shaved about 30 minutes off your drive into Chicago. Unfortunately there is no real easy way to get through Chicago.

I haven't left yet... Seems like that majority opinion is 94 to 90 through DT, then 90 to into Wisconsin and onward. I assume there are no major summer construction disasters on that route?

I haven't left yet... Seems like that majority opinion is 94 to 90 through DT, then 90 to into Wisconsin and onward. I assume there are no major summer construction disasters on that route?