BR Area Bridges

richyb83

With all the talk of the I-35 Bridge collapse in Minneapolis I thought this may be thread worthy:

The Hwy.190 bridge had the lowest score; I-10 Bridge best.

Rating bridges

How the state rates three local Mississippi River bridges:

*U.S. 190 BRIDGE(built in 1940)

5 of 9, >fair <

Average daily traffic, 17,800

*INTERSTATE 10 BRIDGE(built in 1968)

7 of 9, >good <

Average daily traffic, 85,000

SUNSHINE BRIDGE(built 1963)

6 of 9, >satisfactory <

Average daily traffic, 16,417

Source: Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/9049697.html

Said Gauteau,"Baton Rouge area residents should feel good about overall bridge conditions"??

The four-lane old bridge, also known as the U.S. 190 bridge, got an overall score of 5 out of a possible 9 after an October review. The formal name of the bridge over the Mississippi River is the Huey P. Long Bridge.

The state says that score fits bridges in fair condition. It means that all primary structural elements rated are sound but it may include minor section loss or cracking.

You are welcome flatiger :thumbsup: they are in bad shape.

The Florida Blvd. (Hwy. 190) Bridge was actually be the next thing I wanted to bring-up...you ain't kiddin', I drove under the rusty caged structure yesterday and we were just saying how "nervous" this old bridge makes us.

*pic compliments of NCB

Looking west, the rusty structure(right) was actually the original bridge; before they added the east-bound bridge(left). Niether bridge looks in very good condition

img2070np8.jpg

Sorry> :( I have not been able to locate the older news article/rendering from months back on the(BR-D.S.) Hwy.190 Bridge replacement. It will be a 100% needed improvement! They are going to build the new span just "north" of where the current bridge is. It will be much higher/taller in elevation(for floods) and much wider too. They also will straighten out that big curve between the river & basin. Traffic will continue to flow on the old bridge as the new bridge is being built. No word of the starting construction date??

Edited by richyb83

• 8 months later...

Work has been started on the US 190 Bridge on Florida Blvd. over the Amite River. Built way back in 1932 it has a "Rating of only 2", it's in critical condition and need for repair is urgent. The new bridge will be a dramatic improvement! That bridge as well as some of the smaller bridges over creeks and bayous need replacing or serious work too.

In Old South BR the bridge on E.McKinley Street is still closed over the Corporation Canal

Crazy enough that EBR has more bridges than any other parish in the state.

BROKEN BRIDGES

There are30 area bridges in East Baton Rouge Parish that are

Edited by richyb83

• 1 year later...

Old Mississippi River Bridge to receive a makeover

The Mississippi River Bridge on U.S. 190 is the subject of an $80 million rehabilitation project. The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development awarded part of that project, $1.5 to $3 million to TRC, a Massachusetts-based engineering, consulting and construction management firm. TRC will serve as the prime consultant for the rehab project, which is scheduled to begin in two years.

Old Mississippi River Bridge to receive a makeover

The Mississippi River Bridge on U.S. 190 is the subject of an $80 million rehabilitation project. The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development awarded part of that project, $1.5 to $3 million to TRC, a Massachusetts-based engineering, consulting and construction management firm. TRC will serve as the prime consultant for the rehab project, which is scheduled to begin in two years. "TRC has collaborated with the LA DOTD on numerous projects throughout the state and is honored to continue our relationship on such an important project for the state of Louisiana," says Durk Krone, TRC's project principal. DOTD officials stress that the project helps develop a critical link between East and West Baton Rouge parishes.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

Awesome.

I was told that the old Aluminum plant that used to be right there at the foot of the bridge (on the BR side) spewed out red dust all the time when it was running at full capacity during the early 20th century. The original color of the bridge was a darker green/black, but the aluminum in the air dyed it rust-colored, so when the state had to re-paint it in the 1960s, they just painted it the strange rust colored we see now. There also used to be little 5" iron fleur de lis on the original road railings, but they were removed within a year by motorist (who figured out that they were not attached very well) driving by for souviners. You can find one at most art and antique stores in the area.

It's definitely unique. I have a soft spot for that old bridge and the history behind it. I kinda hope they keep the "old" rustic look of the bridge since the new (probably cable stayed) toll bridge is going up right next to it for the loop. I have weird tastes (I think the Exxon refinery looks awesome at night), but I think that would look so cool having a fancy new structure alongside of the old "Huey". It would kinda show the contrast of Baton Rouge and the state's industrial, blue collar, populist beginnings with a vision of the future.

I'm also pretty sure that the site of the aluminum plant is a "superfund" site, which is one of the reasons the new "loop" bridge will be placed where it is.....since it can be expropriated so easily by the state and it's essentially useless to anyone else else given the pollutants on the ground.

So hard to believe that the old bridge in North BR, with it's original 10' wide lanes, was the only way to get across the river, other than the Port Allen Ferry, before the Interstate 10 bridge was built.

Edited by cajun

• 3 weeks later...

04bridge.jpg

State to shut down Florida for bridge demolition

No vehicles will be allowed to cross the Amite River on Florida Blvd. Wednesday between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. during demolition of the old westbound span, according to the Department of Transportation and Development.

Explosives will be detonated in the joints connecting the upper metal arch and the travel lanes below, said DOTD spokesman Brendan Rush. The metal superstructure will fall into the river, and a crane will remove the pieces, Rush said. The old steel truss bridge was built in the early 1930s,

The old westbound span must be removed to make room for construction of the new eastbound bridge. The $30 million bridge replacement project started in December 2007 and is scheduled for completion in December 2010. The new westbound span opened in early September.

The old bridges are only about 28 feet wide and lack shoulders. The new spans will be higher than the old bridges, and wider. The new structures will be 40 feet wide, with two 12-foot lanes and a 10-foot outside shoulder. The inside shoulder will be 4 feet wide. The new bridges will be continuous spans, crossing both the Amite River and its floodway.

Edited by richyb83

• 1 year later...

Mayor Holden wants to replace aging bridges

Several bridges in East Baton Rouge are in deplorable condition - Mayor Kip Holden has said it before - but now he wants to do something about them.

Mayor Holden makes no bones about the way he feels about EBR bridges.

"The 78 bridges carrying an average traffic volume of approximately 250,000 vehicles per day," said Holden. "That does not say the number of people."

Critical bridge repair is part of Holden's bond plan to raise nearly $500 million over the next ten years for infrastructure, public safety and economic development.

"So I'll let you know now I'm not crying Chicken Little," added Holden. "The sky is not falling, but there's work to be done."

One of the bridges Holden says is rated a zero to one out of ten is on the way out of the Baton Rouge Airport.

"Bridges that are rated down like they are zero to ones, we look at them every six months," said DPW's Chief Engineer, Jim Ferguson. "We look for critical deficiencies that might occur on a day to day basis. That could warrant that dangerous unsafe conditions. But if we know of a condition that exists on a bridge that is absolutely dangerous, we're gonna shut it down."

Ferguson says the life expectancy of some of the older bridges is 40 to 50 years, which is how old they already are.

http://www.wafb.com/story/15153133/mayor-holden-wants-to-replace-aging-bridges

Gettin kinda hectic...they just shut down the North Flannery Rd bridge over little Lively Bayou...the little old bridge has seen better days; the 1965 timber componet is starting to fall apart; if I was a heavy truck I'd be nervous riding on it. Mayor Holden and some Councilman have really been at odds lately...they claim there are already fund$ in place for the bridge repairs??

Structure Closure Reignites Debate on Holden's Tax Plan

http://theadvocate.com/home/499564-79/officials-shut-down-bridge.html

• 9 months later...

Wonder how many of these small bridges over the creeks/bayous/canals/ditches are in need of repair??

Bridge over Jones Creek closed

Woodlake Drive Bridge over Jones Creek and near South Harrell’s Ferry Road has been closed because of “critical deficiencies,” said the East Baton Rouge Department of Public Works Friday in a news release.

Department of Transportation and Development inspectors found several deficiencies during an inspection of the bridge and alerted DPW officials who have closed the bridge to the public. The bridge was expected to be closed within the next few weeks, to allow for a scheduled replacement.

Tom Stephens, a chief engineer with the city-parish, said the replacement of the 240-foot bridge is scheduled to last about nine months.

The construction contract is about $2 million, Stephens said. Woodlake Bridge was built in 1976.

http://theadvocate.com/home/2928250-125/bridge-over-jones-creek-closed

• 3 months later...

Old Mississippi River Bridge due for a nearly $100M facelift

Structural steel repairs and a new coat of paint are entailed in a $74.8 million facelift planned for the U.S. 190 Old Mississippi River Bridge connecting Baton Rouge and Port Allen. The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced the project today. The first phase, scheduled to begin later this month and be complete in fall 2014, will include cleaning, painting and performing structural steel repairs to the roadway portion of the bridge. A joint venture by Liberty Main/Alpha Paint was awarded the job at $74.8 million, which consists of 80% federal and 20% state funding.

The second phase will involve painting, cleaning and repairing the railroad portion of the bridge. DOTD anticipates accepting bids on this phase, which will likely cost between $15 million and $20 million, in late December. The bridge carries an average of 28,600 commuters daily. "These improvements will not only improve the beauty of this bridge, but also extend the life of the bridge for generations to come," says DOTD Secretary Sherri LeBas in a statement

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

Very much needed. It's scary to cross that bridge these days.

It could use some work.

I kind of like the gritty old orange color, though. That bridge use to have decorative trim but it was ripped off shortly after it was built.

It's got to be close to 90 years old now.

It could use some work.

I kind of like the gritty old orange color, though. That bridge use to have decorative trim but it was ripped off shortly after it was built.

It's got to be close to 90 years old now.

The bridge opened in 1940, do you remember when they tore it off, cajun? :silly:

Surprisingly, the Calcasieu River bridge is 12 years newer and feels even more dangerous.

• Like 1

The bridge opened in 1940, do you remember when they tore it off, cajun? :silly:

Surprisingly, the Calcasieu River bridge is 12 years newer and feels even more dangerous.

I'm nowhere near that old. My parents aren't even that old. :). I thought that bridge was built in the 1920s for some reason. Makes sense that it was later given its name.

I do have two of the fleur de lis that use to grace the railing of the old bridge sitting on my mantle right now. They are iron, but have an orange tint due to the aluminum plant that used to exist at the foot of the bridge. They just sat in place, and people would just lift them out of their bracket and take them. I found these two at an antique store in St Francisville. Their isn't a single one left on that bridge.

The bridge in Lake Charles is more dangerous. The old bridge in BR isn't an arch like the I-10 bridge. The top is fairly level to accommodate the railroad tracks....but it also reduces blind spots.

I've had to change lanes and slam on my brakes at least a dozen times on the I-10 bridge because I could not see the line of stopped cars "over the hump" about 250'' in front of me. Most cars, counting reaction time, take at least that much time to stop from 70 mph.

On the other hand, the old bridge is a very tight squeeze if you need to pass a large truck.

I like the details on the Lake Charles bridge too. Looks like two pistols? I've always been too nervous to take my eye of the road long enough to get a good look at them.

Sorry about spelling and grammar errors. Posting from a phone.

Edited by cajun

Haha. My grandmother was born in '39.

Thanks for the history lesson. I've never had to do that on the bridge, the incline is so steep most people slow down to 40-50 and don't speed up until they see it's clear (unlike the tunnel in Mobile). You would be correct, they are two crossed six-shooters. I believed they are or will be removed for the bridges renovation.

I too am posting from a phone. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Woodlake Drive bridge construction to take 275 days, yet start date unknown

When Mayor Kip Holden proposed his $900 million bond issue in 2008, one project on the list was to replace the bridge on Woodlake Drive crossing Jones Creek for a projected cost of $1.5 million. The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development closed the bridge in May; it is now projected to cost $2 million to replace. David Guillory, interim director of the city-parish Department of Public Works, says a construction timetable for the bridge is 275 days. But construction won't begin until the utilities—electricity, sewer—that it hoists are rerouted. "It wasn't easy just to start taking it down," Guillory says. He couldn't say how soon construction could start. There are more than 100 bridges that have been propped with wood and creosote poles for decades that need replacing, Holden noted in a mayoral forum earlier this month. Voters rejected Holden's $900 million proposal. Guillory says the Woodlake bridge was repaired with timber a couple of years ago—which "bought us some more time"—but the DOTD later closed the deficient bridge. For three years now, White Oak and Shenandoah residents have been navigating other Green Light Plan projects in the vicinity: on Harrell's Ferry Road, Jones Creek Road and O'Neal Lane. Guillory says the 220-foot, two-lane Woodlake bridge will include sidewalks when completed. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

• 1 year later...

Ridiculous how long it's taking to fix that bridge!

This story was on WAFB last week....

They talked about all the bridges in LA that needed repairs.  One guy from DOTD was being interviewed and said he was advised by legal that they aren't allowed to disclose which bridges are in need of repairs (because of terrorism).  GRRRRR..   If someone is going to blow up a bridge, what difference does the condition make? Sounds like the default "terrorism" excuse.  How come this federal cheer leading group appearing under the guise as caring for the people have access to it?  I guess its just another "tool" in the "tool bag".

The three key components to a bridge are broken down into the substructure, superstructure and deck.  The substructure is what holds it up or the pilings in the water.  The superstructure goes on top of that and supports the deck.  The deck is the part people drive on.  If any of the three are rated four or less on a scale of 1 to 10, it is considered structurally deficient. 

This is the news story
http://www.wafb.com/story/24027547/iteam-bad-bridges

Stats based on parish
http://t4america.org/maps-tools/bridges/states//?state=la

Google map that is supposed to show bad bridges, but the overlay doesn't seem to be working ???
http://t4america.org/maps-tools/bridges/#?latlng=30.224947,-90.92475009999998&bridge_id=
When they showed this on TV, they showed around Baton Rouge, with overlay.  Kind of interesting the overlay isn't working.

Lastly, this Bridge Monitoring site...   Transportation For America has something called.... Map 21.

http://t4america.org/maps-tools/map-21/

Transportation for America is an alliance of elected, business and civic leaders from communities across the country, united to ensure that states and the federal government step up to invest in smart, homegrown, locally-driven transportation solutions — because these are the investments that hold the key to our future economic prosperity.

Smart Growth checking up on smart growth?   We cant get information from our state.. but some third party smart growth group has access to this data????????  Is this kind of like the ACLU protecting free speech?  lol... fox guarding hen house?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Reviving this Thread..Topic so old the photos don't show up from 08'

They could "OK" a new bridge tomorrow & it would still take a decade before were able to use it

Stop-and-go Baton Rouge bridge idea a 'go' again, but major hurdles loom

Erecting a new bridge across the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge is suddenly a hot topic. Backers say the need for a new bridge is painfully obvious. Even visitors to Baton Rouge talk about timing trips to avoid morning and evening rush-hour traffic, especially around the bridge.

Last Thursday, an early-morning truck accident on the bridge disrupted traffic for hours on interstates 10 and 12 and key arteries, including Airline Highway, Jefferson and Florida.

About 100,000 motorists use the bridge daily.

If a new bridge is financially doable, five locations are possible between the existing Horace Wilkinson Bridge — called the "new" bridge — and Donaldsonville. All five have been endorsed by the Coast Guard.

#rest of article

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/weather_traffic/article_e0f0663c-a1f2-11e6-90de-03e9fde0ce58.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

• 3 weeks later...

The closer to the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge the bridge is placed, the better it will be for the region...although St. Gabriel ( just south of Addis between Plaquemine and Donaldsonville).   It needs to tie into LA1 and I-10 somehow.   I thought my suggestion on the map I posted a few weeks ago is a pretty good solution for bridge placement, using Nicholson/30 as the eastern terminus.   Of course, that route needs to be upgraded SIGNIFICANTLY in parallel with the construction of a new bridge.   It would probably be even better if the bridge was even farther north, closer to Brusly.  I'm not sure how feasible that could be.  

There are rumors that the Trump administration will dump a lot of cash into infrastructure and infrastructure development.   That may mean projects like this bridge can at least get a significant portion of the design work completed with federal dollars.  

Traffic in Baton Rouge is like terminal cancer to the region's growth prospects.   It makes EVERYTHING harder.   

Edited by cajun