Dick Cheney in 1994 in explaining why we should not go into Iraq

monsoon

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You keep saying "the situation changed." What about the situation in Iraq do you believe changed bwtween 1994 and 2002? Whatever changed, it obviously didn't affect the issues Cheney was referring to, because everything he predicted in that video has come to pass. His statement is as relevent today as it was when it was made.

Tragic but not unexpected. Do you think the terrorists don't watch the news? They know exactly the liberal spin that has been placed on this war since day one.

The Democrats will walk around with serious somber faces on camera but be giving each other high fives behind closed doors as this news benefits their chances for re-election. (Although their approval ratings are laughably lower than even President Bush's).

I've talked to soldiers and marines who have served over there and they all say the media is not reporting anything close to accurate about the success we are having and that they only target the bombings. The terrorists know that the general public will feed on this negative news, that they / we have become soft, and that congress will be under pressure. So they respond by killing more and more of their own people along with our troops whenever they can.

On one hand it's being said that these are not terrorists but different tribes that hate each other and only Saddam was able to control them. Then it is being alleged that the violence is being caused by us being there and if we leave it will stop. See the contradiction here?

I guess the only real solution in some peoples eyes is to have another ruthless dictator take over in Iraq, then send these same troops into Darfur or other hot spots to stop their violence. Again, do you see the contradiction here?

I remember a time when liberals wanted to stop ethnic cleansing no matter where it may be, that is why we went into Bosnia. Now they only want to do it in places they perceive to be easy. It is a noble cause and desire, by why the double standard? Now we have the same people lamenting the fact that Saddam is no longer in power. Can someone explain this dichotomy?

On one hand it's being said that these are not terrorists but different tribes that hate each other and only Saddam was able to control them. Then it is being alleged that the violence is being caused by us being there and if we leave it will stop. See the contradiction here?

Just yesterday I said somewhere on here that the only two solutions to the current quagmire are to install another Saddam-style dictator or to divide Iraq as was done in Yugoslavia. Unless you can offer another viable alternative, I think we agree that the latter is far preferable to the former.

I guess the only real solution in some peoples eyes is to have another ruthless dictator take over in Iraq, then send these same troops into Darfur or other hot spots to stop their violence. Again, do you see the contradiction here?

I remember a time when liberals wanted to stop ethnic cleansing no matter where it may be, that is why we went into Bosnia. Now they only want to do it in places they perceive to be easy. It is a noble cause and desire, by why the double standard? Now we have the same people lamenting the fact that Saddam is no longer in power. Can someone explain this dichotomy?

I don't speak for the Bush administration so don't try and put their decisions on me. I didn't send our troops to war and I highly doubt I would have as president. There are double standards on both sides but there is no need for me to repeat what has been said over and over again about this administration or conservative republicans in general. Both extremes of this country have completely taken over the political process and it's a shame that candidates like Biden and Paul can't get elected nationally. Dick Cheney flip floped on this issue for what ever reasons, but I doubt it was to get his buddies even richer. Perhaps he will speak for himself on this subject and then we can decipher why he did.

I am surprised that you are not demanding they do something about it, but I would guess that really isn't the point of your posts. Don't accuse people of a double standard when you are clearly participating in one yourself.

I finally got to hear this interview on a local radio show. It seemed to me that he was trying to make excuses for not driving on into Baghdad and removing Saddam; the fact that they didn't, made a lot of people angry. The real reason is that we were obligated NOT to go any further after Iraq agreed to remove their troops from Kuwait. For some reason, I reason I don't understand, that wasn't made public at the time. Cheney's excuses were an attempt to get around telling the truth, IMO.

As to what Gusterfell said above, I believe that dividing the country is probably going to be the best alternative. No one wants another Saddam style dictator.

This biggest point I feel should come out of this (thread) was that our administration got us into a huge mess, that they at least, at one point, understood, but later jumped into anyway. Anyone with a base knowledge of Middle East history could have predicted this. I guess a C student didn't study the Middle East. They wanted and still want to see this in simplistic terms and that just doesn't work in the real world.

Something this complex should not have been attempted without examining the many scenarios that could come about other than a jubilent Iraqui people tossing roses at us for bombing their country.

Archived