Alliance Center

Florida

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Alliance Center

I noticed a few interesting things about the prep for this new building. It seems that something is being done on the backside of it to the parking garage area. I didn't get a change to photograph it last night because my camera battery died on me. Fortunately I was able to capture these few images for our viewers.

Also notice that trees have come down almost entirely in front of the buildings.

AllianceCenterConstructionProgress.jpg

Now officially a construction area

AllianceCenterConstruction4.jpg

A quick glance at how close traffic is passing near this project.

MonroeStreetTheAllianceCenterMonroe.jpg

A view of the area from the Northern Side

AllianceCenterConstructionProgress3.jpg

A direct look at the front of the buildings.

AllianceCenterConstructionProgress2.jpg

On the sidewalks in front of the buildings about as close as I can get.

AllianceCenterConstructionMonroeStr.jpg

AllianceCenterConstruction3.jpg

Another look at those shaved trees

AllianceCenterConstruction2.jpg

Perhaps Advantis is the agent for this facility. I'll check their site for more information on the project.

AllianceCenterConstruction.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looky looky, the Democrat finally realizes that something is going on downtown on Monroe.

Alliance Center

Good news about the retail on the bottom floor. It would be great if they get a market/convenience store to open up there.

I am glad to read they didn't get hung up on nostalgic feelings w/these buildings. While I understand good times and great memories occurred in these bldgs. in the past, the bldgs. themselves did not exhibit any real historical or architectural features to be preserved. Often times we confuse nostalgia and memories w/historical significance. I'm glad to read it took the right course here. However it would be great if they could round-up some old photos of the businesses that were there before and line the hallways and public areas of the building w/these.

Now, what will be come of the nice bldg at the corner of College and Calhoun. I hope it doesn't stay vacant too long.

WOW! Demolished by Friday...they really aren't messing around for once. This is nice to see even though this is a short building. I wasn't aware that it would have a garage underneath, definitely a plus but it will extend construction time somewhat. Its funny that this Jenny Wells thinks THIS will turn downtown around to an extent not realized by the three projects of much grander scale recently completed or already under construction...

I surprised about the underground parking garage also. I thought it would be behind the building, not beneath it. But I like the concept none the less.

And like you Poonther, I'm glad the Democrat finally decides to cover it. The Florida Retail Federation office building and Floridan Office and Hotel project are next!

Downtown hasn't lost it's momentum.

The plan for this project includes a pedestrian bridge over College to the garage behind Regions (owned by the developers of Alliance).

If they are supplementing it with underground I would imagine that is incidental to the overall parking needs for the project.

Also, it does seem that they are moving fast now, but they were supposed to start demolition in January. I am surprised the buildings did not fall down under their own weight in that time. Though they were technically "historical" they were in such bad shape that it was not economically feasible to do anything with them.

The plan for this project includes a pedestrian bridge over College to the garage behind Regions (owned by the developers of Alliance).

If they are supplementing it with underground I would imagine that is incidental to the overall parking needs for the project.

Also, it does seem that they are moving fast now, but they were supposed to start demolition in January. I am surprised the buildings did not fall down under their own weight in that time. Though they were technically "historical" they were in such bad shape that it was not economically feasible to do anything with them.

I meant to get downtown yesterday to take pictures of this site. I was very excited to see it in the paper yesterday. I really makes me happy to see these things being reworked on or near Monroe Street. The Tennyson was very similar in the manner in which another abandoned historic building was torn down for it's construction. If this trend continues, we'll have a whole new Monroe Street in a few years.

How I long for the day when I can invite people to Tallahassee and use downtown as a true attraction! Restaurants, cafe's, libraries, museums & galleries, stores and more. We're not far...

TD - Southwood is great. I would recommend it to almost anyone. We have been here since 2003 and it is still growing fast. The close access to schools, grocery, and recreation are all great, and i rely on starmetro 80x to get to my office downtown.

TJ - I drove by today and you can see from Monroe St. that the facade is about the only thing left standing.

I agree about the "replacement" of the old buildings on Monroe that are beyond repair. However, I would hate to see a wholesale replacement of downtown buildings. Just across the street from Alliance, the buildings are old, but have been cared for and kept up and should not be in danger of replacement. They have character, and a place in our downtown at least for another few decades.

That being said, the blight from the run down stuff needs to go. I know that there are a few other projects planned, however far out, for some of the "old busted joints" (to quote MIB) like the buildings owned by the Seminoles close to the capital.

I'm with you TM. I wouldn't want to see a complete wipe out of the historic/old buildings for the same reason you named. It's just those "ugly" old ones that aren't in use that bother me.

I really feel that place at the corner of Jefferson and Monroe Street would make an excellent Internet Cafe'. It's location is perfect, right across from the Courthouse, State Capitol, and just down from City Hall. This place would be excellent if say.... Starbucks wanted to do something downtown?!

As for 80X, how many others are riding with you from Southwood to Downtown regularly?

Well put T-man! I agree completely and as I'm sure you were aware, these bldgs were beyond saving especially since they didn't have an architectural style like the one's you've mentioned in your post. I walked by, around and behind (in the alley) those now demolished bldgs. and they were hurting in a very bad way. I too was waiting for the day when they just fell in on their own.

Of course things can change, but TJ, Starbucks stated they wanted to go into the Floridan........but w/their delay...who knows?

Archived