Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor Development

beltwayboy08

ballston has many proposed and approved highrises for construction. mostly condo, but some office. however, rosslyn seems to be the hub of new highdensity development with new leaps in height with each new tower. there's turnberry, rosslyn central, 1812 north moore, etc. seems about every 1 year there is a new large scale proposal down there. other than the few i have listed, has anyone heard of anything else? I have seen many buildings that have billboards out front with a picture of a shiny new tower and its delivery date. how long will it take arlington to get the FAA to realize that airplanes are 3000 feet up by the time they get anywhere near rosslyn? how tall will the next one be?

-feel free to talk about anything you have seen, even if its not in the bal-ros corridor. how about that huge crystal city one! potomac yard. I'll try and get pix of this stuff... help me out!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Crystal City/Potomac Yard may see more growth than Rosslyn in the near future. The reason is simply that I do not anticipate a relaxation of the FAA rules in the forseeable future. These rules may not be entirely realistic, but they are likely to stay around. Reagan Airport is much too popular for anything to jeapordize its existence. A buildup of towers in Rosslyn might do just that- if only in perception.

There is much promise in the Crystal City/Potomac Yard area, and much land that has been left fallow. Fallow or not, it will soon be developed. I would like to see dense, urban neighborhoods created- not just clumps of towers near a Metro station. It's good that we are starting to think about building near the Metro, but careful planning is one area in which this region is fairly weak. Perhaps as the outer suburbs mature we will see greater thought given to creating real places. Northern Virginia has the economic clout to produce just about anything it might desire in the way of urbanism. Until the Tysons conundrum is rectified, it may continue to develop haphazardly. Not living in the suburbs, I'm a bit fuzzy in my comprehension of their thinking. I still get the impression that the area does not suffer the Balkanization which plagues Hampton Roads to some extent. What are your thoughts BB?

I think that Crystal City/Potomac Yard may see more growth than Rosslyn in the near future. The reason is simply that I do not anticipate a relaxation of the FAA rules in the forseeable future. These rules may not be entirely ealistic, but they are likely to stay around. Reagan Airport is much too popular for anything to jeapordize its existence. A buildup of towers in Rosslyn might do just that- if only in perception.

There is much promise in the Crystal City/Potomac Yard area, and much land that has been left fallow. Fallow or not, it will soon be developed. I would like to see dense, urban neighborhoods created- not just clumps of towers near a Metro station. It's good that we are starting to think about building near the Metro, but careful planning is one area in which this region is fairly weak. Perhaps as the outer suburbs mature we will see greater thought given to creating real places. Northern Virginia has the economic clout to produce just about anything it might desire in the way of urbanism. Until the Tysons conundrum is rectified, it may continue to develop haphazardly. Not living in the suburbs, I'm a bit fuzzy in my comprehension of their thinking. I still get the impression that the area does not suffer the Balkanization which plagues Hampton Roads to some extent. What are your thoughts BB?

One has only to look at McCarran in Las Vegas to see how this height limitation near the airport doesn't make a lot of sense. Still, I doubt that it will be changed here- Crystal City has a better chance of seeing it changed than Rosslyn. I don't know, but there may be other reasons for the height limitations around Washington. One never knows, but tall projects may have been stopped for reasons of security. I know it seems foolish, but I could see such reasons being trotted out by the government.

One has only to look at McCarran in Las Vegas to see how this height limitation near the airport doesn't make a lot of sense. Still, I doubt that it will be changed here- Crystal City has a better chance of seeing it changed than Rosslyn. I don't know, but there may be other reasons for the height limitations around Washington. One never knows, but tall projects may have been stopped for reasons of security. I know it seems foolish, but I could see such reasons being trotted out by the government.

The Rosslyn/Ballston corridor is built out. The only option available is to re-develope; meaning tearing down old ugly highrises and building modern ones. Rosslyn is doing exactly that except the new development are more in the upscale high price level. Most and probably all starting price for new residential developments in the Rosslyn are in the 500's for a bedroom and up to 7 million for a penthouse in the Turnberry Towers. Also, the Waterview Tower isn't cheap either, those units go for as much as the units at Turnberry. Height limitation in the Washington area has been around for many years, especially in Arlington. Because planes cannot fly over DC or parts of VA/MD, they have to follow a path along the Potomac river which curves around Rosslyn. The problem is that many buildings sits along the river and may block the pilots views when they turn towards the landing strip. There are only two ways to get in and out without having to fly over the restricted areas. The option is to fly along the river coming from the south end or north end.

• 1 month later...

As for people being willing to pay $7m for a condo in Rosslyn, I have seen stranger things. Overpriced in this market? I'd say yes until someone buys it- and someone probably will. I do think Rosslyn real estate will hold its value more than many other suburbs simply because of its proximity to the District. It's a very easy commute over Key Bridge.

Archived