Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twincity

ABA Announces Expansion to Winston-Salem

12 posts in this topic

the American Basketball Association announced that it has added an expansion team for the Winston-Salem market starting next season. great news for LJVM and the city. :yahoo: is Winston finally being viewed as a strong, sizable market that can support things of this sort?

The American Basketball Association (ABA) announced that it has added Winston-Salem, North Carolina to its roster of expansion teams for the 2008 season. According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "We are very pleased to be back in North Carolina - a great basketball state - and we have an excellent, well-qualified group of individuals leading the way.

Winston-Salem is also in the running for the 2009 ABA All-Star game!

link

http://www.triadaba.com/index.php?option=c...18&Itemid=1

name our team

http://www.triadaba.com/index.php?option=c...0&Itemid=27

Flash

Storm

Generals

Monarchs

Dynasty

which of these fits Winston?

Great News! I hope winston does better in attendance than Charlotte did with their ABA team. I think the team in Charlotte folded. I've actually talked with ABA commissioner Joe Newman online before when the ABA website use to have a forum.

Very nice (in a Borat voice)! I'm not too familiar with the ABA, but this will definitely help with LJVM's scheduling problems! :good:

Very nice (in a Borat voice)! I'm not too familiar with the ABA, but this will definitely help with LJVM's scheduling problems! :good:

I love sports as much as anybody, but I will be surprised if more than 1000 people show up forany of these minor league basketball games.

I love sports as much as anybody, but I will be surprised if more than 1000 people show up forany of these minor league basketball games.

That's a good point, this team is going to have to have one heck of a marketing team as well as be extremely competitive to survive in Winston, but I feel it will do alright.

theres 0 competition in the triad when it comes to pro b-ball so that shouldnt be a problem. its new, its the closest we can get to having an NBA team, W-S is a b-ball city as many locals say...i think it will do well.

One season tops.... W-S may be a basketball town, but college not pro.

(But I Hope I'm wrong!!!!)

I hope for the best but alot of teams have folded in this league. It think its great news for the city because it does shine a light that its a sports community but minor league basketball typically draws less fans than minor league hockey. Greensboro was presented the chance to get an ABA team 6 years ago but no ownership group came forward. After the first several home games, expect the attendance to drop down quite a bit below 1,000. but you never know. If team owners can come up with a great marketing strategy to attract people from the whole Triad area and rally alot of support and pride among Winston-Salem residents, the team can do pretty good

Wow, this is great news. I am skeptical, but maybe W-S is finally large enough to support this, and there should be some support from elsewhere in the Triad.

Why was this not in the W-S Journal, or did I just miss it?