Downtown Lansing

economics1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, downtown Lansing is missing the livable retail component. Downtown Lansing's residential situation reminds me a lot of Detroit's, before this recent resurgence-in the way that there is not easy access to the everyday necessities of downtown dwellers.

Just as it was in Detroit, this is very much a chicken/egg scenario...if you bring in the retail, who knows if it will survive until the residents follow. Or, if you bring in the residents, will they stick around until the retail options come?

I'm not sure what the solution is, but the area bounded by 496/MLK/Shiawassee/Larch has a hell of a lot of potential to be a great mid-sized urban center. I think mayor Hollister was on the right path to downtown revitalization back in the day. I would be curious to see if mayor Bernero has any strategic plan to bring residents downtown.

A few things that just instantly come to mind for me...

- Bowling alley, small movie theater, etc...basically, anything besides more bars, which can only pull in so many people for 'entertainment'.

- electronics store

- small grocer

- pool hall

- shoe and clothing stores

- yes, even a few chain restaurants

- etc...

I'm for all of the hipster type stuff, too, like coffee shops and the like, but a downtown needs to cater to as many groups as possible.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, basically a thriving downtown. Like clothing stores, restuarants etc.... Also the last few times I've drove downtown the riverfront view was not that attractive, so maybe better landscape there. Although I think improvements in that area may already have a start, due to the new city market layout.

There are a good number of buildings downtown that need remodeling (such as paint, windows etc...), they might be vacant though.

• 2 weeks later...

A grocery store is key, I like the bowling alley and movie theater ideas. Museums and other cultural centers are also important. Another idea would be some sort of a large-scale community recreation center with a pool, basketball courts, tennis courts, a track and weight rooms.

The biggest thing that needs to be down there first are more well-paying jobs, preferably dealing with banking, technology, etc. A college with dorms so there are younger people actually living downtown would also be great.

Archived