Victory Village

urbanvb

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to finally see this thing get moving. I spent a lot of my youth in that neighborhood, but it needed to go. It's time for P-town to grow up and show its potential. I'm amazed this land has stayed empty this long with such a great location.

I'm happy to finally see this thing get moving. I spent a lot of my youth in that neighborhood, but it needed to go. It's time for P-town to grow up and show its potential. I'm amazed this land has stayed empty this long with such a great location.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

15-story hotel proposed for victory crossing

I have serious misgivings about this. She's asking for money the city simply doesn't have. Victory Crossing is developing well enough on its own, I don't think we need to start tossing developer welfare at this one. I'd rather concentrate our efforts on more solid upcoming projects like the lincoln property mixed use development and the proposed north pier tower. Seems like there is a bit of a conflict of interest here as well.

15-story hotel proposed for victory crossing

I have serious misgivings about this. She's asking for money the city simply doesn't have. Victory Crossing is developing well enough on its own, I don't think we need to start tossing developer welfare at this one. I'd rather concentrate our efforts on more solid upcoming projects like the lincoln property mixed use development and the proposed north pier tower. Seems like there is a bit of a conflict of interest here as well.

Politics cloud merit on Lucas Center

In the late '90s, Portsmouth citizens readily consented to a big public investment in the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel and Waterfront Conference Center because they were so tired of taking their civic and social events to Norfolk and Chesapeake.

To accommodate those celebrations, the ballroom at the Renaissance was super-sized to seat up to 900, much more than would be justified for a small hotel.

Now, less than a decade later, and with the city still paying off the Renaissance mortgage, the same argument is being replayed to justify another taxpayer-backed hotel and conference center in Portsmouth. It could host events and corporate meetings twice as big as the Renaissance.

Archived