Current housing (condo, downtown, huouse, suburbs) discussion

orlandonative

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have spent the last two months searching for something to rent downtown and what people are charging for places around here absolutely amazes me.

It would be nice to see a reasonable price point for those who desire to live downtown and don't make $200k+ per year.

I have spent the last two months searching for something to rent downtown and what people are charging for places around here absolutely amazes me.

It would be nice to see a reasonable price point for those who desire to live downtown and don't make $200k+ per year.

Eh...I don't know. It's by far the worst thing I've seen in my short career, but I wonder if others in the development world see it the same. Locally it's almost as if you have two seperate camps. On the one side there sits the folks who have taken off the rose colored glasses and have started to come to terms with what is going on and are generally becoming more skeptical. To little suprise these folks seem to be the ones that have taken the hardest blow. The other camp seems to be just meandering around and paying very little attention to what is going on. Things are going pretty well for these people, they're still buying homes, cars, etc. and all in all are generally insulated from loss. These types scare me. These seem to be the people that continue to drive the machine while the others seek correction.

All in all I still hold out hopes on some various projects around town. I have been taught to recognize the cyclic nature of things and as such I feel comfortable when I observe the wheels of change around here. Along with everyone else here I look forward to seeing the immeadiate and long term affects that our new venues and rail have on downtown. This is as an imporant time as any skyscraper boom that we could ever hope to experience. We are very fortunate.

Yeah, but HD Supply (formerly Hughes) is on the block and HD has lowered the asking price recently. Probably will be sold to a private equity firm where it will be put through the "efficiency" squeeze, which inevitably means job losses.

As far as the housing goes, it is all cyclical. This may be a longer down cycle than normal due to the excessive upturn we had the last few years, but it will come back at some point. In the long run, this may end up being a good thing for Orlando metro. Perhaps the glut of inventory sitting unoccupied on the outskirts of town will give local leaders an incentive to reduce further sprawl the next boom cycle? The cynic in me doubts it, but one can always dream...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived