Current housing (condo, downtown, huouse, suburbs) discussion

orlandonative

Another short sighted person chimes in. By being discriminatory with regards to real estate taxes (something that very few states do) to none residents, you are hindering the purchase of property by non-residents, something that as we now see, is killing the real estate market in FL while more non-residents are buying property in the Carolinas, Georgia and elsewhere. New York City real estate is still booming thanks to foreign buyers (they pay the same rate as residents btw). If you want to stop Europeans, South Americans and residents from other states from buying in FL, you are succeeding. How many homes do people need? As many as they damn want and can afford to have and want to invest in, which, is none of your business thank you. By making taxes on investment property higher, you are also causing rents to be higher. There is no free lunch. Florida and Orlando thrives on tourism. Lets make them pay higher taxes if they like it here and want a second home and maybe eventually move down (which is what I was planning to do). That's a great incentive.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cry me a river, how many homes do people need? Your neighbor gets that discount because that's their main residence. It's not like you can't deduct those same taxes on your 1040 each year either, or deduct the depreciation/costs, etc. Taxes are still pretty low in FL. There's no income tax and sales tax is pretty low as well. Reals estate in FL has been a bargain for decades, now that values have actually come more in line with what they're really worth, so be it.

I voted against the SOH amendment, thought it was shortsighted then and now we're seeing why it was a bad idea. I agree it's unfair, but it's hard to work up sympathy for folks that have multiple homes. Frankly, too many vacation homes/properties can be bad for communities too.

Another short sighted person chimes in. By being discriminatory with regards to real estate taxes (something that very few states do) to none residents, you are hindering the purchase of property by non-residents, something that as we now see, is killing the real estate market in FL while more non-residents are buying property in the Carolinas, Georgia and elsewhere. New York City real estate is still booming thanks to foreign buyers (they pay the same rate as residents btw). If you want to stop Europeans, South Americans and residents from other states from buying in FL, you are succeeding. How many homes do people need? As many as they damn want and can afford to have and want to invest in, which, is none of your business thank you. By making taxes on investment property higher, you are also causing rents to be higher. There is no free lunch. Florida and Orlando thrives on tourism. Lets make them pay higher taxes if they like it here and want a second home and maybe eventually move down (which is what I was planning to do). That's a great incentive.

Well at least they haven't expanded it, yet. They were going to allow people to take their SOH savings with them when they move. First it was about granny getting kicked out of her home because of rising taxes. Now granny is TRAPPED! in her home because of that awful SOH.

Rayman, I agree, the residential builders have got to stop. I can't wait to see what everyone's tax bill is next year, I would expect some reductions.

Archived