Mellon Orchard South

NewBurgh

http://www.popcitymedia.com/features/greenneighb0815.aspx

This is great news... a "green" housing development on that huge, ugly stretch of parking lot on Penn Circle near the Police Station. Because I live nearby, I tend to follow the East Liberty development news closely, but I'd never heard about this. I like that it's entirely residential, focusing on green space and energy efficiency. I like mixed-use developments and I think the East End can support plenty more office space, hotel, and residential, but with so much of this happening I worry that we will be oversaturated without significant new housing developments like this one. I wonder if these will be purely market-rate housing or partially subsidized.

I think development like this would also be a great idea for the Reizenstein area across from Nabisco, and for the other stretches of parking lot around Penn Circle (across from the Home Depot and by the old Pizza Hut near the Whole Foods).

On a related note, does anybody know anything about the Lofts on Baum Project? It's been just sitting there with a fence around it for a while, with no signs of action. I wonder if they need more buyers before they can start building, or if they may be reconsidering the project.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived