Bliss Market Backing out of Hartford 21

grock

*TRIVIA TIME!*

1.) What was the last proper grocery store in downtown Hartford?

2.) Where can you buy a gallon of milk in downtown Hartford?

3.) When was the last time you could buy kitchen appliances in downtown Hartford?

4.) Where can you buy kitchen cutlery in downtown Hartford?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been to Bliss's at Wethersfield. It has two bakery cases facing the front door greeting customers coming in. On either side of the bakery cases are deli cases. Against the wall there are meat counters and against the other wall are the cold cuts deli cases. I don't remember the layout for seafood and produces. When I went in tho check them out, I did not pay attention to the square footage, but I would estimate it to be about 7,000 square feet. After seeing their operation, my wife and I both concluded there is no way they can make any money in Hartford if they are going to do something like their Wethersfield's operation. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I think or what you think or what Northland think. The only one who matters is the grocery store owner. Bliss's took a hard look and decided it is not worth the risk, that is all there is to it.

you say that the only one who matters is the grocery store owner and that "it doesen't matter what i think or you think or what northland think". and then you say, "Bliss's took a hard look and decided it is not worth the risk, that is all there is to it". Isn't that what you think?

A grocery store by itself would not survive in today's downtown Hartford. First, the downtown residential population is too low. Second, it's still pretty easy to travel from downtown out to the chain stores in the suburbs, especially on the weekends.

I know I'm not the only one who has concerns that Northland seems to have bitten off more than they can chew. I think it's great that they're so aggressive in Hartford, but I feel it's being counter produtive. I wish someone could find out what they're occupancy rate is for the apartments and their retail throughout the city. Based on my last visit (which was a while ago) and posts on this board it seems they're losing more tenants.

I have my doubts that Northland will run any store that goes in there, I'm sure they're actively looking for tenants and I hope they come up with a few who are interested. They're better off waiting for somoene to move in than to open one on their own, because if it fails who will want to move into that space?

Again I think it's great they're so bullish on Hartford, but there's a reason why other projects are shrinking or being delayed. I think Northland's at the point of no return, they have so many oars in the water they can't stop now. Their proposal for the tower on the park has gone silent leaving the Y building empty, which would have been better served staying open until concrete plans were in place. Now we have a large building casting a shadow over the park that serves no purpose.

Sorry this turned into a rant, but it's frustrating seeing so much progress downtown and some apparent momentum (partly due to Northland) just to have it slowed down by forcing out good tenats and an over abundance of retail and housing space open.

I know I'm not the only one who has concerns that Northland seems to have bitten off more than they can chew. I think it's great that they're so aggressive in Hartford, but I feel it's being counter produtive. I wish someone could find out what they're occupancy rate is for the apartments and their retail throughout the city. Based on my last visit (which was a while ago) and posts on this board it seems they're losing more tenants.

I have my doubts that Northland will run any store that goes in there, I'm sure they're actively looking for tenants and I hope they come up with a few who are interested. They're better off waiting for somoene to move in than to open one on their own, because if it fails who will want to move into that space?

Again I think it's great they're so bullish on Hartford, but there's a reason why other projects are shrinking or being delayed. I think Northland's at the point of no return, they have so many oars in the water they can't stop now. Their proposal for the tower on the park has gone silent leaving the Y building empty, which would have been better served staying open until concrete plans were in place. Now we have a large building casting a shadow over the park that serves no purpose.

Sorry this turned into a rant, but it's frustrating seeing so much progress downtown and some apparent momentum (partly due to Northland) just to have it slowed down by forcing out good tenats and an over abundance of retail and housing space open.

Well, one perspective on the YMCA deal is that the proceeds from the sale of the aging tower building downtown is helping finance planned state of the art expansion facilities in the North and South Ends which will surely be a boon to those communities.

Archived