Shuttle to Tigers?

Veloise

So a major corporation invited me to a Tigers game. (It's Tuesday.)

Being in Grand Rapids (a deliberate choice to move here from the 313/734), it takes more than some bazillionaire sporting event to persuade me to cross the street, let alone drive a couple hours. But I used to work for the Planning & Development department, have never been inside CoPa, and figured this would be a neat opportunity to experience some of the changes in the area. Kindof like dropping by DT during SBXL to check things out after all the sprucing up and with all the visitors. (Yes, I did that, too.)

So where's a good place to park and pick up a shuttle bus? My contact says there are restaurants offering a shuttle, and I would like to find one near, say, Northland. (Too many memories of sitting on the Lodge in fireworks/parade traffic.)

Riding the SBXL shuttle from Northland was a great fun time. I can sit in the car by myself whenever I want.

TIA!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SMART park and rides only opperate during AM and PM peak hours. You may be able to park in say, Royal Oak and take the Woodward Bus or in Fairlane and take the 200. You basically can only be served by, as SMART inappropriatly calls them, "line-haul" routes during the night.

As for the restaurants, those busses are for the most part only within the greater downtown area (Nemos, Sinbad's, Old Sheleighleigh, etc).

Best of luck!

SMART park and rides only opperate during AM and PM peak hours. You may be able to park in say, Royal Oak and take the Woodward Bus or in Fairlane and take the 200. You basically can only be served by, as SMART inappropriatly calls them, "line-haul" routes during the night.

As for the restaurants, those busses are for the most part only within the greater downtown area (Nemos, Sinbad's, Old Sheleighleigh, etc).

Best of luck!

For those wanting closure...I didn't go. The weather did not look promising and I figured, why drive five hours (round-trip) for a rain-out?

Rode my bike to DT Grand Rapids and enjoyed my usual Wi-fi experience at our YMCA. (Yes, they call it "Y"-fi.)

Thanks for the good comments...maybe I'll contact my buddy at SMART and suggest a game night party bus.

ETA:

"I did pass on your suggestion to the Director of Service Development, and I agree

that it's a great idea. Earlier this summer the Sierra Club had an outing to

the Tiger's game and to promote public transportation. We all met at the Royal

Oak Transit Center. It was the night that Verlander pitched his no-hitter, and

everyone was really in party mood especially coming home. The Sierra Club usually

plans two outings a year using the bus to go to the Tiger's game."

Archived