Univeristy of Memphis Football

Rural King

I thought a thread dedicated to the upcoming season of the University of Memphis football season might be enjoyed by forumers who follow the team.

So feel free to start discussions regarding the team and its season here. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

PS - I plan of starting a Memphis Grizzlies season and UofM basketball season threads when their seasons begin. If I forget, remind me!! LOL

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought a thread dedicated to the upcoming season of the University of Memphis football season might be enjoyed by forumers who follow the team.

So feel free to start discussions regarding the team and its season here. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

PS - I plan of starting a Memphis Grizzlies season and UofM basketball season threads when their seasons begin. If I forget, remind me!! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Any comments on the Ole Miss game? :dontknow:

I didn't see it, but it sounded like a pretty sorry appearance for the Tigers.

I was hoping last season was a fluke, and they'd build on the recent momentum of the past few years to finally turn the football program around. Hopefully, they'll get it together for the next nine games.

The biggest problem we had was not being able to keep Ole Miss's DLine from pressuring our QB. It caused at least 3 of our 5 turnovers. When our OLine held Ole Miss back (or Ole Miss's Defense tired) we moved the ball easily and made much fewer mistakes. And by pressure, I mean hitting as he threw and changing the course of the ball.

On the whole, our Defense was solid, save 2 or 3 drives, but they did only allow 1 TD and 1 FG (but that was a stop for our Defense--Ole Miss returned an interception deep into our territory).

Save for extremely poor OLine play for much of the game, the team looked very good. I don't think many reasonable people think that Ole Miss played the better game. Ole Miss got great bounces, and if it wasn't for their ability to destroy our OLine, we would have won handily. Our Offense overpowered them and our Defense held them and their All-SEC caliber RB in check.

Hopefully, we'll be able to fix our OLine's struggles, because if we do, our spread Offense can do a lot of damage to a lot of teams. An unlike last year, our Defense appears it has the ability to hold teams and give our Offense a chance to win games.

Not trying to put down Ole Miss's team or their victory. Their DLine was clearly superior to our OLine for pass rush, and they did fairly well defending the run. Their pass coverage was not very strong, but they did a good job of finding the ball for interceptions when it was deflected. Offensively, they should be better than last year, having not a great, but a more consistent QB who makes less mistakes. But I do believe, if we had it back, Memphis would win.

Archived