Smart Growth Summit

richyb83

One the bad thing is the streetcar is not being done by CATS Baton Rouge and Federal government is paying for it. CATS tax was about making the system better and to making the improvements that was need, but they chose to give their CEO a pay raise with the money after only one year on the job. They done no improvement to the system so far that make the service better for the customers. Plus its different grant CATS could have applied for from the state and federal government that would have allow them to add light rail and new buses.  I was saying update infrastructure so it benefit the train whenever it is approve to happen.

Yeah but you can't expect CATS to do much with their current budget, including the tax.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they move to the burbs because the QOL is better. Although, that's not my point. History will repeat itself as those suburban communities will succumb to the same fate as the city has. No doubt it is safer, and gives better opportunities for students. I was one of those students. When the transportation costs soar to $4.50 a gallon, suburban growth with slow to a crawl and begin to retreat back to the city. It will soon cost more to drive to work, school, or entertainment attractions than it will to pay your mortgage, insurance, and other necessary expenses. For example, we moved to Prairieville about a decade ago. The Walmart was not there, Dutchtown High was not there, and the traffic was wonders better. Going home on Hwy 42 from Highland is a complete nightmare. The lanes on I-10 are grid locked, Highland Rd, Airline, Old Perkins Rd and Hwy 42 are as well during rush hour. All of this and the area isn't finished growing.

People move to the suburbs because it is impossible to live in such an expensive city. The gridlock and crime only reinforces the move. 

People move to the suburbs because it is impossible to live in such an expensive city. The gridlock and crime only reinforces the move. 

Baton Rouge is expensive? The crime doesn't effect southern EBR and most of the city below Florida Blvd. 

If that's the case the CATS tax need to be repeal and they stop taking tax payers money.

Where's the logic in this? Crappy system with little funding or no funding at all?

There budget is that big because of the tax. 

IMO, the CATS bus system is far too spread out to actually work. They need to strip it and make it smaller...make it work. 

Explain this. 

Where's the logic in this? Crappy system with little funding or no funding at all?

I say no funds at all if they can't make money that's CATS problem because service is bad. If they barely stand afloat with tax payers why keep paying them let them fall. If remember after Katrina state and federal money was going into that system, but money starting going "missing" then CEO mysteriously quit . When someone have a drug problem let them hit rock bottom helping when they don't won't help is only a waste of time.

Baton Rouge is expensive? The crime doesn't effect southern EBR and most of the city below Florida Blvd. 

Explain this. 

Yes this city is expensive. In particular for blue collar workers who can't afford to send every child they have to a private school, combine this with property taxes and the suburbs start to look very appealing. Crime in the city is everywhere, though most violent crime is above Florida Blvd. 

Baton Rouge is turning into a crappier version of New Orleans.  

As for CATS...the system just needs a complete overhaul, from head to toe. Their branding especially...it looks like a 12 year old with no art skills designed it. 

As for CATS...the system just needs a complete overhaul, from head to toe. Their branding especially...it looks like a 12 year old with no art skills designed it. 

Wish people never vote for the CATS Tax maybe another company be here or it would have been a Public/Private company.

I say no funds at all if they can't make money that's CATS problem because service is bad. If they barely stand afloat with tax payers why keep paying them let them fall. If remember after Katrina state and federal money was going into that system, but money starting going "missing" then CEO mysteriously quit . When someone have a drug problem let them hit rock bottom helping when they don't won't help is only a waste of time.

Why does it need to make money? I-10 doesn't make money but we dumped hundreds of millions into a project that's already obsolete. Should we cut off road funding because we still have the worst traffic in the country for a city of our size? Do you see logic in this? If so, at least remain consistent and want to pull funding from every failed piece of infrastructure. That would include EBR schools, roads, transit, etc. 

I mean, just look at this mess of a map:

It is a pure mess. 

I wouldn't know how to address this issue as I don't understand bus routes like rail routes. Light rail would get rid of half of those routes with only 2-4 lines. 

Why does it need to make money? I-10 doesn't make money but we dumped hundreds of millions into a project that's already obsolete. Should we cut off road funding because we still have the worst traffic in the country for a city of our size? Do you see logic in this? If so, at least remain consistent and want to pull funding from every failed piece of infrastructure. That would include EBR schools, roads, transit, etc. 

Because CATS is business and that means a business have make money like every other transit system in this country. EBR School System and the State government have elected officials CATS board members are not elected that's the difference. I would love to see CATS board become a elected position I think would be the best thing for system. 

I wouldn't know how to address this issue as I don't understand bus routes like rail routes. Light rail would get rid of half of those routes with only 2-4 lines. 

I agree with all of this. 

We need to expand how much we spend on transportation; including CATS

Because CATS is business and that means a business have make money like every other transit system in this country. EBR School System and the State government have elected officials CATS board members are not elected that's the difference. I would love to see CATS board become a elected position I think would be the best thing for system. 

CATS should not be elected, people suck at electing. More often than not we elect bad people before we elect good ones

No, CATS is a government program just like every other one. And very few of them turn a profit. 

I don't know about that, I don't like the idea of having a turning door like the election process. Just do it like every other competent metro area can. 

I agree with all of this. 

We need to expand how much we spend on transportation; including CATS

CATS should not be elected, people suck at electing. More often than not we elect bad people before we elect good ones

Right now CATS "Bus system"  is being run by tax payers money at this point. I don't know if you live in Baton Rouge right after Katrina CATS system was receiving state and federal money lot of the money disappeared.  Reason I say it should be elected position because at the point the way they selected board members is not good.

No, CATS is a government program just like every other one. And very few of them turn a profit. 

I don't know about that, I don't like the idea of having a turning door like the election process. Just do it like every other competent metro area can. 

If the CATS tax payer/shareholder had a choice to vote to for CATS board members it could change the system in many ways. Board Member selected the CEO and CFO with problems that this system had the over years something gotta be done. Public company, but the CATS tax payers/shareholders have no say on what improvement that they want to see. Past and as of few years ago they had problem with board members and other stealing money. The system don't work for the people too many times they made decision that will not help the system, but hurt it. Instead of using the CATS tax to make simple improve updating technology, fix the GPS problems on the bus and have more transit shelter with lights. State and federal grants can be gain for modern forms of transit, but that's something they seem not to care about.

If that's the case why Baton Rouge Metro Airport have to make money its public company as well? Both companies are owned by  City of Baton Rouge/Parish of East Baton Rouge, but both set prices like business that make it a business.

If the CATS tax payer/shareholder had a choice to vote to for CATS board members it could change the system in many ways. Board Member selected the CEO and CFO with problems that this system had the over years something gotta be done. Public company, but the CATS tax payers/shareholders have no say on what improvement that they want to see. Past and as of few years ago they had problem with board members and other stealing money. The system don't work for the people too many times they made decision that will not help the system, but hurt it. Instead of using the CATS tax to make simple improve updating technology, fix the GPS problems on the bus and have more transit shelter with lights. State and federal grants can be gain for modern forms of transit, but that's something they seem not to care about.

Could be true, it's just that I don't like the idea of CATS becoming more political than it is. It should ultimately be dissolved into a regional transit system, that's what needs to be done at this point. 

If that's the case why Baton Rouge Metro Airport have to make money its public company as well? Both companies are owned by  City of Baton Rouge/Parish of East Baton Rouge, but both set prices like business that make it a business.

I don't know how BTR or airports generally work but the airlines need to make profits,  wouldn't imagine the airport itself would need to do more than break even. But don't quote me on that. The new plan for BTR is to offer airlines a kickback if they don't make enough on a particular flight. 

There's just too many routes when many could be and should be streamlined into a few with centralized stations. 

They need 2-3 hub and spoke nodes with commuter buses going between the hubs.

I don't know what the hell you call what they have now. 

Airport makes a good bit of money leasing land and space on their property.   It may not seem like it to you, but there's actually a lot of income that it brings in.   The Coke plant, the Chevy dealer, and a lot of private hangers generate revenue for that airport.   

There's a plot of land that they own on the north side that would be perfect for a small plane or helicopter manufacturer.  It looked like Beechcraft was going to bite 5 or 6 years ago but they ended up getting a huge tax incentive from Kansas to stay there.

Archived