COMPLETED: The Hollander Foundation Center AKA 410 Asylum

MadVlad

Driving into downtown via Farmington Ave. (best straight on view of Hartford 21, btw...), I had the "luxury" of getting stopped at the light in front of 410 Asylum. Anyone have any idea what they plan to do with that building? Awesome looking building, but jesus, get something going with it please!!!! :angry:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mayor has brokered a deal with the non-profit that had originally wanted to turn that property into a homeless shelter. The non-profit gets another bigger property in a more appropriate location in the city and 410 Asylum is now planned for a mixed use building that will include ground floor retail and a mix of middle and lower income housing. Not the greatest use in my opinion for prime downtown real estate, but better than a homeless shelter.

Actually, Common Ground never wanted to turn the property into a Homeless Shelter. They were attempting to convert it into supportive housing for the working poor, menally ill, and homeless. This would have been much different than a shelter, though I agree that 410 Asylum is probably not the best place for such a use.

What would constitute a better use than the current proposal? I can't think of a better use than moderate/low income housing mixed with 1st floor commercial. Downtown can't be all luxury housing.

Actually, Common Ground never wanted to turn the property into a Homeless Shelter. They were attempting to convert it into supportive housing for the working poor, menally ill, and homeless. This would have been much different than a shelter, though I agree that 410 Asylum is probably not the best place for such a use.

What would constitute a better use than the current proposal? I can't think of a better use than moderate/low income housing mixed with 1st floor commercial. Downtown can't be all luxury housing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I meant but whatever it may be that is not something we need downtown where there are currently thousands of employees working for such numerous major corporations. It is bad enough some people who work downtown despise the city so we do not need them hating the city even more.

Link on Common Grounds website about the Hartford project

http://www.commonground.org/replication/FAQ_conn.asp

• 1 year later...

From The Courant:

Landmark On The Mend / Courant Editorial - Monday, in a sweet moment of vindication for the city, Gov. M. Jodi Rell and the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority announced a package of state and federal tax credits, loans and grants worth more than $21.7 million that will permit Common Ground to begin restoring 410 Asylum in the fall. http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-410asylum.artaug15,0,4996142,print.story

I feel like we have been through this before, so I remain a skeptic, but nice to hear nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great news and I hope when this project is complete it will bring some more foot traffic and possibly even a new restaurant or two to that area of Asylum Street and High Street by the Holiday Inn and the Bond which can be kinda desolate sometimes...

• 8 months later...

I was just going to post this myself :)

Such a key location to add residents. Who wouldnt want to live right on the park and only steps away from Black Eyed Sallys?

The building, across from Bushnell Park and the Capitol, will contain 70 units of affordable and market-rate housing with retail and commercial space on the ground floor. It will be the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design-certified "green" multifamily building in the state, and will even have a green roof. It will be named for the Hollander family, which donated the structure.

56 of the units will be reserved for people making less than 60 percent of the area's median income

Just guessing here, but those 14 market rate units will be the ones facing the park.

The 56 other units will be available to persons making less than 30453 or about 14.60 an hour. based on The median income for a household in the county was $50,756.

I am thinking this might include some waiters and bar tenders and other service type jobs.

this number will likely go up to about 32k since they just raised minimum wage today.

I was just going to post this myself :)

Such a key location to add residents. Who wouldnt want to live right on the park and only steps away from Black Eyed Sallys?

It is absolutely key. A blighted property transformed into housing with retail - should go a long way with helping that area feel more urban.

http://www.commonground.org/?page_id=373

Hollander_exterior_250.jpg

their website gives the additional info. not sure if it is still acurate as everything costs more now, but here goes

PASTE

Fifty-six affordable apartments, consisting of studios and one- and two-bedroom units, will be available for households earning 60% of the area median income. Rents for the affordable units will range from $716 - $1,099 per month, with residents paying approximately 30% of their incomes towards rent.

The remaining 14 two-bedroom market-rate units will rent for $1,400 per month, with ground floor commercial rents averaging $12 per square foot.

The Hollander Foundation Building has a number of environmentally-conscious features including a vegetated roof planted with a mix of native and adapted plant species, high-performance windows, efficient lighting systems including LED exit signs and compact fluorescent light bulbs, low-emission interior finishes, low-flow bathroom fixtures, and Energy Star appliances.

• 1 month later...

What is the building across the street? It looks pretty dead.

I think there are offices on the upper floors in there, but the large space available for retail/dining on the ground floor is vacant. I called inquiring about it a few years back and they told me they did not want nightclub with loud music but rather a fine dining establishment for the space. Hopefully we will see some activity in there soon due to increased traffic and interest in that general area with the help of the common ground development.

• 1 month later...

Archived