Fulton Street Farmer's Market

Sailor

I wouldn't say it was people driving poorly; it was more a combination of the mix of vendor vehicles parked willy nilly and shallow parking spaces on the outside that creates a lot of blind spots and pinch points (as you can see in the pictures).

I was only pointing out that it's a bigger issue than some people make it out to be. And it's a reality that most people drive to the farmer's market, not walk. We usually don't even try to park in the lots, and instead park in the outlying neighborhoods (which I'm sure those people love that, ha).

Daddy-

You've been hanging out with Jim Harger too much. It's the City. Parking's always a problem. We've done the best with the resources we've have, worked with the City on access points and traffic flow, and provided relief on site to assuage the 700' backups. But nobody involved was willing to sacrifice vendor and customer amenities for significantly higher parking counts or acquire and tear down houses to pave for parking. Ultimately, those are valid and principled positions by the Development Committee and The Neighborhood Association (the client in this project).

I'm heartened and excited that you are part of what Christine calls '...the market's very smart customers': you park off site, you figure it out. Part of life in the big city!

So how do you like the design?

yours in the public process,

ted

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if LA Dave remembers going there with his parents but I remember going there with my dad late 50's early 60's. He'd go there every Saturday morning from the early spring to late fall. Nothing has changed with the traffic & parking over the years. We would go early to beat the crowds (and get the best produce :whistling: ). I always had a good time walking from one end to the other :). Unfortunately it's 8 lbs of sugar in a 5 lb bag. The City had 3 farmers markets at one time, Fulton Street, Leonard & Front and one by South Field.

Daddy-

You've been hanging out with Jim Harger too much. It's the City. Parking's always a problem. We've done the best with the resources we've have, worked with the City on access points and traffic flow, and provided relief on site to assuage the 700' backups. But nobody involved was willing to sacrifice vendor and customer amenities for significantly higher parking counts or acquire and tear down houses to pave for parking. Ultimately, those are valid and principled positions by the Development Committee and The Neighborhood Association (the client in this project).

I'm heartened and excited that you are part of what Christine calls '...the market's very smart customers': you park off site, you figure it out. Part of life in the big city!

So how do you like the design?

yours in the public process,

ted

It's OK, not spectacular. Sorry.

And I've never even met Jim Harger! :D

• 9 months later...

Wasn't the original plan to have the market renovation done this year? Did it get pushed back or cancelled?

The plan has always been to start construction this fall after the market season and have it completed by next spring when the market opens in May. That is still the plan and I have been told that fundraising has been going well. Grand Rapids loves its most popular farmer's market.

I would watch for an official announcement in the next month about the kickoff of the public portion of the fundraising campaign.

The plan has always been to start construction this fall after the market season and have it completed by next spring when the market opens in May. That is still the plan and I have been told that fundraising has been going well. Grand Rapids loves it's most popular farmer's market.

I would watch for an official announcement in the next month about the kickoff of the public portion of the fundraising campaign.

Great! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

http://fultonstreetm...your-calendars/

"Friends and fans of the Fulton Street Farmers Market are invited to attend the public announcement of the market’s “Our Goodness is Growing Campaign,” to be held at the market on Wednesday, July 13th at 10am. The event will provide details regarding the planned market renovations, information about our $2 million fundraising effort to accomplish the upgrades and a highlight of several key charitable gifts to the campaign effort. Please help us spread the word and remember to bring your shopping bags so you can take in the bounty after (or before) the presentation."

So begins the public portion of the campaign. My understanding is that the "silent" effort has gone very well and they are on schedule with their funding goals to begin construction in late fall.

Capital Campaign website is now available: ourgoodnessisgrowing.org

The most exciting part of the event this morning (at least to me) was the announcement that the quiet side of the campaign has already raised about $1.5 million. I've been involved with the project for a couple of years, so it's pretty exciting to know that we're so close. Can't wait for ground breaking this fall and the grand reopening in the spring!

Media coverage (maybe not as heavy as it might have been due to everything else going on around town):

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/farmers-market-restoration-begins

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/171694/14/Fulton-St-market-launches-overhaul-campaign

There was other media there, so there will probably be more later.

I for one am very happy to see this awesome place get modernized! But...................... along with that it sure would be nice if they actually had hours that matched the real world. The majority of the world works during the day so they are missing out on people who would frequent 2-3 times a week not just Saturdays.

I for one am very happy to see this awesome place get modernized! But...................... along with that it sure would be nice if they actually had hours that matched the real world. The majority of the world works during the day so they are missing out on people who would frequent 2-3 times a week not just Saturdays.

The vendor's committee that sets the policies and direction of the market (elected by the vendors) has discussed this and there has been some support for doing evening hours on at least one day. I think it's something that should be looked at further, as I know other people feel the same way. I will mention it to the market manager and bring it up at the next meeting.

I represent the Midtown Neighborhood Association on the vendor's committee.

• 4 months later...

Construction has begun, and is VERY obvious if you drive by. However, the Capital Campaign still has more funds to raise in the public portion of the campaign to meet their goals.

To that end, you can now buy your engraved bricks online and/or make a monetary donation. Just visit the Our Goodness is Growing webstore at:

http://ourgoodnessisgrowing.myshopify.com/

Please help us spread the word. Bricks make great gifts for someone who may be hard to buy for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are REALLY coming along on the main structure.

Didnt get a photo, but I've got to say that this thing looks massive from the street. At least far more grand than the simple setup they've had.

I posted way too many photos on Facebook a few days ago (they are public, no account req'd):

https://www.facebook...135317019846843

Also, a friend of mine who lives next door made a cool time lapse video:

One last shameless plug to buy a brick to support the renovations. We are still fundraising to complete the 3rd phase and build new bldg on the north end as designed and we need your support. Only two days left in the brick campaign. It's REALLY easy to buy one in our online store: http://ourgoodnessis....myshopify.com/ Please share with anyone you know who frequents or loves the market.

• 4 months later...

Was at the grand opening of the new market today.

First of all, I would have never imagined that this many people could fit into that space. There must have been well over 1000+ people there! And not all that packed where you could not move either.

Admittedly some of the charm of the old setup seemed missing. It felt a little less cozy than it did in the past. Being as chilly as it was, I guess that might have played a part in it. However, having such a impressive space (the permenant canopy was actually pretty breathtaking) more than compensates for the other stuff.

The only thing I don't like is all the exposed white PVC piping used for the water runoff from the roof.

But I do love the vantage of standing down near the Fountain Street entrance and looking up the hill inside the market, and seeing all the crowds.

https://fbcdn-sphoto...524924893_n.jpg

I can't remember who I was talking to, but I believe they said part of the final plan is to paint the PVC a different color. Not sure if/when that might happen, though. I'm sure that PVC was not the first choice, but I'm also guessing it's the most economical for a project like this where pennies are being pinched.

Here's an amazing video from opening day by local photographer/videographer Ryan Gajewski:

Also, a time lapse from 20ft up:

My photos from Opening Day (Facebook login not required):

https://www.facebook...11523286&type=3

Lastly, for anyone wondering based on the footage of the tables being setup, there was a last minute change to the permanent table fixtures they decided to order, so they did not arrive by opening day. But I think they should be installed sometime in the next few weeks.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not really a thread for these, but these two projects near FSFM are going full speed. Can't remember what this first one is, a distillery?

16195232748_7b1b2f67b4_c.jpg

And this office building turned apartments is shaping up.

16195231608_694ed23213_c.jpg

The top photo is going to be Mad Cap Coffee's 2nd GR cafe and main roastery.  And the extra warehouse space, last I heard, was going to be used by Brewery Vivant for storage to free up some space in their brewing area on Cherry/Lake.

Archived