Statistics

Rardy

Jeff Beals, in this week's City Weekly, breaks down the growth statistics for the Omaha MSA. There are some very interesting trends regarding net in-migration.

Between 2000 and 2005, the 8-county Omaha MSA gained 46,129 people, to push the population above 813,000. This growth is attributed mainly to better population retention (i.e. better jobs), foreign immigration, and to net in-migration (27,000 more people moved in than moved out).

However, the rate of in-migration since 2001 seems to be increasing (more people are moving to Omaha in greater numbers). Here's how the data breaks down:

City -- Net gain

Lincoln, NE -- 5,678

Los Angeles -- 3,506

Other top contributors:

Sioux City, IA

Sioux Falls, SD

Riverside, CA

Chicago, IL

Fargo, ND

Honolulu, HI

St. Louis, MO

San Diego, CA

Waterloo, IA

Gulfport, MS (this one's a shocker)

City -- Net loss

Phoenix -- 3,982

Kansas City -- 3,637

Dallas, TX

Las Vegas, NV

Denver, CO

Minneapolis, MN

Tampa, FL

Atlanta, GA

Washington, D.C.

Tucson, AZ

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some interesting stats Rardy, thanks for posting that. Poor Lincoln...what's going on(not going on) over their?? Interesting number leaving L.A. Is the trend for some to leave California? The co$t of living is outrageous.

Phoenix is a neat place. If I had to move a corporation out West; I'd choose Phoenix over California. The one negative is the drinking water. Kansas City seems like a cool place to go visit....major downtown improvements, "city of fountains"; all the parkways, etc.

Those are some interesting stats Rardy, thanks for posting that. Poor Lincoln...what's going on(not going on) over their?? Interesting number leaving L.A. Is the trend for some to leave California? The co$t of living is outrageous.

Phoenix is a neat place. If I had to move a corporation out West; I'd choose Phoenix over California. The one negative is the drinking water. Kansas City seems like a cool place to go visit....major downtown improvements, "city of fountains"; all the parkways, etc.

Archived