Jackson's growth heading north

Rural King

Here is a recent article in the Jackson Sun that details the growth potential between Jackson in Madison County and Humboldt in Gibson County. The immediate benefactor being the small city of Three Way that sits just north of Jackson between the two larger cities and the North Jackson area.

Reasons of Reasons Development LLC has purchased 130 acres along US 45 By-Pass north of Jackson, with the majority of the land residing in Three Way, for future commercial developments. This has sparked speculation about future growth in this area of Madison County due to its high local traffic count, the result of commuters from Gibson and other counties to the north commuting along the route to and from work within Jackson. The firm denied any contact with retail, commercial, or residential concerns at this time.

New Madison County Mayor Jimmy Harris speculated about another Kroger or other grocery chain for the city due to the residential projects in nearby North Jackson that could add another 1,500 to 1,600 residents to that area of the city. The Mayor cited the fact that business tends to follow roof-tops, which is a very good assessment, although North Jackson is already served by two Krogers - one being along the by-pass at Oil Wells not far south of this area. Other grocery chains or retail definintely could find the growth a catalyst to set up shop in the area and this area does seemed primed for future growth.

As more and more folks continue to move into south Gibson County (Medina, Humboldt, and Milan) to commute in to Jackson, and as more people move into the northern edge of the city, the economic potential of the north-side of the city, Three-way, and North Madison County appears to have its stock rising very quickly.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I drove through that area on my way to Murray, KY last month and was surprised at the amount of construction going on there. Medina especially caught my attention. I didn't realize that 45 between Jackson and Three Way (I hate that name!) was 6-lanes. That could be the catalyst here.

Milan, too, seems to have a lot of stuff going on with their new Lowe's and Wal-Mart. Totally not what I was expecting!

Nope. They upgraded US 412 to a four-lane highway to provide a better grade connection between the two cities, but its not closed access all the way. It does provide a good highway service route between the two that should be sufficient for any industrial or commercial needs.

The I-169 spur should provide a boost to Martin and Weakley County. TN 22 between the two is already interstate grade. Past Martin though the highway is limited access.

Archived