Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowerdeck

Fox News edits Wikipedia articles for self, rivals

26 posts in this topic

^Or rather the juveniles that believe in said network. Fox gets its ratings by appealing to the worst emotions in people, fear, greed, hate, etc, and it's obvious that at least a 1/4 of the USA is addicted to this line of thinking now. Thank God the rest of us are moving on.

While it is bad that they did it from their workplace and definitely wrong if what they posted is incorrect, remember that ANYONE can add or edit to Wikipedia articles. The only quality assurance is the reading and editing by other users. Not to take sides but since these people apparently have a TON of free time to look up this stuff, have they looked at both sides of the fence to see if any Democratic leaning groups/networks have done the same thing? I have no clue but I definitely believe in equal treatment or harassment.

While it is bad that they did it from their workplace and definitely wrong if what they posted is incorrect, remember that ANYONE can add or edit to Wikipedia articles. The only quality assurance is the reading and editing by other users. Not to take sides but since these people apparently have a TON of free time to look up this stuff, have they looked at both sides of the fence to see if any Democratic leaning groups/networks have done the same thing? I have no clue but I definitely believe in equal treatment or harassment.

Is there any proof that this was some organized effort by the Fox network or is this just some lone employee?

Please. An organization that claims to be a "fair and balanced" news outlet has no business making blatantly partisan statements, particularly in a forum like Wikipedia that is supposed to be free of editorial content. If any of the few left-leaning media outlets have taken similar actions, you can be sure we'll hear all about it from the likes of Bill O'Reilly very soon.

Which would mean someone at FNC made the changes. Probably someone low on the totem pole, probably told by some mid level who was bored and gave the kid something to do to spin for the conservatives.

^ OK, so is Fox News going to do anything about such misuse of its computers? I doubt it. This fits a long track record of glitches, technical difficulties, and "lone employees" at Fox that serve to boost the right, attack the left, or both.

There were also changes made to Robert Byrds entry taking out that he was a former KKK member. Someone else changed Condoleeza Rice's, from concert pianist to concert penis. Should we include these in the discussion or just make a big deal and try to pin this on Fox?

^Were either of those changes made by someone using an IP address of a major liberal media outlet? If not, they are irrelevent.

^Were either of those changes made by someone using an IP address of a major liberal media outlet? If not, they are irrelevent.

It's not irrelevent as it shows just how easy this sort of thing is done. If there is no proof that Fox itself did this then deamonizing them with it is baseless.

I agree but it's not much different from one of us being on UP while at work. Employees use company computersto do all sorts of things they shouldn't. Whose to say Fox isn't working to fix it?

I agree but it's not much different from one of us being on UP while at work. Employees use company computersto do all sorts of things they shouldn't. Whose to say Fox isn't working to fix it?

Does anyone on here have the time to go to wikipedia and look at every single post and each IP address that goes with each and track it down to see if any of them belong to any other news agency?

I've already said I think it was wrong to do it from their work computer but what I really hate is the witch hunt that some people go on just to find anything to gripe about when it comes to political parties.

My apologies for suggesting that Fox News has anything to do with politics or political parties as so many have done before especially when much of this thread deals with criticizing a right leaning organization. That is the whole point behind my post. I'll change those two words to keep it directly related.

I've already said I think it was wrong to do it from their work computer but what I really hate is the witch hunt that some people go on just to find anything to gripe about when it comes to opposing opinions.

It's not irrelevent as it shows just how easy this sort of thing is done. If there is no proof that Fox itself did this then deamonizing them with it is baseless.

There are plenty of more important reasons to demonize Fox News, but why would any media outlet that claims to be neutral allow its computers to be used for partisan means? A person who works for an organization, using that organization's equipment, is representing that organization. Unless Fox makes an effort to address the issue, they are implying their consent and firther eroding their credibility.

There is no such thing as "the liberal media" in the USA as all of the major news programming here is quite conservative and won't rock the status quo at all. While I will rank CNN a bit higher than Fox and MSNBC, it is essentially nothing more than a tabloid just like its major competitors.

There is no such thing as "the liberal media" in the USA as all of the major news programming here is quite conservative and won't rock the status quo at all. While I will rank CNN a bit higher than Fox and MSNBC, it is essentially nothing more than a tabloid just like its major competitors.

Wasn't the owner of CNN married to Jane Fonda?

I'm not a Fox News supporter, but I think we should take note that there is a lot of bias in every news network. CNN just happens to lean more towards the liberal crowd who all say that Fox News is too right.