Perceptions of FSU's DURP

jpl02

I've been wondering what the perception of FSU's Department of Urban & Regional Planning (DURP) is in our community and among people who've been associated with it in some capacity. What are your thoughts or thoses that you've heard from others with respect to DURP.

The reason I ask is because quite frankly, the more I continue in this program, the more I regret it. I've had some serious issues with the department earlier this summer, that were pretty bad and ended with some pretty awful results. While I still definitely want to be a planner, I think DURP is not all that it's cracked up to be. <_<

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been too long since I was involved in DURP over at FSU to offer you any perspectives that would be current. It's a whole bunch of new faces over there since my day. Besides I got my MURP out of state, but whenever I mentioned I got my undergraduate at FSU, good things were always said about the program.

That said I know two current faculty members. One shares the name w/an ancient city in Jordan and the other one lives on my street.....Thompson. I've got a feeling that based on your interest and his speciality, he maybe part of the problems you have described. Don't worry I don't know him that well, just in passing, so your secrets are safe w/me. :)

Oh yeah when I worked as a planner, I was always surprised at how many planners in government and the private sector did NOT have degrees in planning.

JPL, I feel for you. That being said, keep your eyes on the prize, since the end result (employment) is worth what you might have to deal with at this time. As a graduate of the program (yes I'm biased), the reputation is quite good locally, as well as in state and in the South in general. Of course, it also depends on what you want to do with the degree.

Archived