Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerbeer

Criminal investigators search Perez's house

15 posts in this topic

Even worse, most people who have commented on the article are sticking up for this guy and think hes the best thing ever to happen to Hartford.

Even worse, most people who have commented on the article are sticking up for this guy and think hes the best thing ever to happen to Hartford.

Putting aside personal feelings for a moment (pro or con), it is the responsibility of the licensed contractor to take out the building permit. I really thing that Perez's hiring of a contractor that has done work for the City is not much of a story unless somebody can demonstrate a "quid pro quo" (which doesn't seem to be the case here). The universe of contractors that are willing to put up with the requirements and aggravation of working for the City isn't that large but it may be the only universe of contractors with which Perez is familiar. As for the larger issue of has he done good things for the City, it does seem that the City is on a somewhat positive track and for that he deserves some credit (as does his predecessor Mayor Mike). Are there problems? Certainly.

Think of the big picture and imagine that we are all following our compasses in the same direction on different paths.

By the way, WFSB left the City because they felt their interests were better served from a different location. Get over it - they are going the way of buggy whips anyway

"By the way, WFSB left the City because they felt their interests were better served from a different location. Get over it - they are going the way of buggy whips anyway

Putting aside personal feelings for a moment (pro or con), it is the responsibility of the licensed contractor to take out the building permit. I really thing that Perez's hiring of a contractor that has done work for the City is not much of a story unless somebody can demonstrate a "quid pro quo" (which doesn't seem to be the case here). The universe of contractors that are willing to put up with the requirements and aggravation of working for the City isn't that large but it may be the only universe of contractors with which Perez is familiar. As for the larger issue of has he done good things for the City, it does seem that the City is on a somewhat positive track and for that he deserves some credit (as does his predecessor Mayor Mike). Are there problems? Certainly.

Think of the big picture and imagine that we are all following our compasses in the same direction on different paths.

By the way, WFSB left the City because they felt their interests were better served from a different location. Get over it - they are going the way of buggy whips anyway

Just face it man Eddie is corrupt plain and simple.... It amazes me how people still defend this guy. Honestly if he gets elected again I can't see the city of Hartford progressing to better things.

8,000 lost jobs is 8,000 lost jobs and no amount of "he's been nice to me" justifies that performance.

Without defending him, I can only say that I have never seen that side of him in anything that I have been involved with. For that matter I have never (in something approaching a billion dollars worth of construction projects - almost exclusively private sector) been approached by anybody in the City for graft. I have had exasperations at times with understaffing and on rare occasions competence issues but for the most part, the City has good people that care about Hartford. That is not to say that that graft doesn't exist, rather to say that I have no personal experience with it.

On the other hand, I can say that local television and newspaper have been consistently inaccurate in reporting of anything that I have been involved with (neither good or bad, just inaccurate). As an example, we had a tradesman take a 4 foot fall on a downtown project which resulted in a few cracked ribs. That accident was represented as a 35 foot fall by local TV, which in turn precipitated a special report on jobsite safety and the reckless disregard for life that contractors share and in turn became a trailer for exclusive their news coverage and reporting prowess. I personally presented the facts to the reporter to no avail. I should note that OSHA's investigation support the 4 foot fall as the only way to get to the 35 foot mark would have required scaling the adjacent building and jumping.

Perhaps my personal experiences are atypical, but when I see a week's worth of press coverage about $500. worth of unpaid building permit fee (that the licensed building contractor is responsible for) at a time when a person is dealing with a gravely ill spouse and functioning in a high profile position I start thinking kangaroo court.

Maybe I am inclined to accept the apology (and perhaps remain vigilant in the future).

I think you are missing the real allegations. The permit issue was raised by Perez and his spin team after the fact as a diversion to the real issue. The States Attorneys Office I'm pretty sure could care less about permits. The real issue is that the work was done on his home and apparently paid for by the City as part of the billing for Costa's work on city projects. Only after an investigation into corruption was well under way and Perez realized investigators were getting close did he attempt to make it look legitimate and write a check for the work.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, much more will be coming

And to bring his wife's illness in as an excuse is deplorable, even for someone as low as Eddie Perez.

I think the real issue here is the delay in payment and the lack of permits. Those are very questionable "mistakes" for the Mayor to make. We all know that the best way to avoid a paper trail is to not get the permits. That way nobody even knew that Costa was doing work at Perez's home. Now to make it even worse, the work he was doing on Park St. was being criticized by Public Works, who threatened to inform his bonding company and remove him from the project, all while he was working on Perez's house, apparently for free. Most of his contracts were with the city at the time, and his sub-contractors billed him for supplies for Eddie's work and Park St. on the same invoices, begging the question of who was paying for Eddie's materials? I have a feeling it was me and the rest of Hartford's tax payers footing the bill for his hot tub. That's what makes this so terrible. I really hope he goes down for this and loses the elections as I agree with others that this is merely the tip of the iceburg.

The work was completed in his house in 2006, he just paid the bill last month. Maybe T52 can correct me, but I've never met a contractor that waits over a year to collect a bill as big as $20grrr.

The work was completed in his house in 2006, he just paid the bill last month. Maybe T52 can correct me, but I've never met a contractor that waits over a year to collect a bill as big as $20grrr.