Your Georgia citys' trendiest neighborhood?

socaguy

What neighborhood in your Georgia city is the trendiest? Which area of Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Statesboro, Albany, Athens, or anywhere else have a somewhat high concentration of trendy, upscale shops, gentrified older houses, coffee shops, bars, etc.? Im thinking of someplace like Va-Highland in Atlanta or Five Points in Columbia.

In Augusta, probably the "closest" you can get to that is the Summerville area. Its quite a large neighborhood of huge old Mansions, smaller gentrified bunglalows and several commercial areas with more upscale shops.

The MonteSano/Central avenue node of shops is probably the most intersting commercial area in the district. It has street front retail with antique shops, drug stores, cafes, and some quirky little boutiques. Some of the architecture in this area is unique and it is within a walking distance to Augusta State University.

The Surrey Center area is on Summervilles' western edge and is a lifestyle center before its time. Its an older, (1950s?) multi-level shopping center with a New Orleans look to it, complete with fountains and wrought-Iron. It has some of Augustas best restaurants, (French Market Grille among others) and best nightclubs, (Vue) as well as some mall staples like Chicos, Talbots, Jos Banks, etc).

The eastern portion of Summerville, bordering the Harrisburg area is home to famed hotel The Partridge Inn as well as several other midrise buildings (Bon-Aire hotel and George Walton condos) giving the area a mini skyline.

So, lets hear, (or see) about some of your towns "coolest" neighborhoods?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Columbus:

By far, the nicest area is Green Island Hills. It is a large area in the NW part of Columbus along Lake Oliver. Many of Columbus' wealthiest live in that area. Bill Heard, owner of Bill Heard Chevrolet (world's largest Chevrolet Dealer), recently built a 25,000 sq. ft. home. Green Island is a mixture of new and old homes. Also, Tree Tops which is near Green Island is a very trendy/wealthy neighborhood.

Thanks Atlman1. Sounds like some interesting neighborhoods. LOL Spartan. Your probably right....I probably wouldnt consider any area of any city in South Carolina trendy....but the 5 pts. area seemed young and vibrant last time I was in that area (maybe 10 years ago?). I wouldnt go so far as to say any of Augustas neighborhoods are trendy either... I guess eclectic might have been a better word for Summerville. About as trendy as you can get in a mid-sized southern city in the shadow of a giant, (Atlanta).

I guess i should mention that Id probably consider DT Augusta the most vibrant area of the city for little cafes, large concentration of clubs/bars, Art galleries, coffee shops, etc. etc. It would probably be the youngest and maybe hippest area of Augusta but seems like most Downtown areas of mid-sized cities have become like this. The Summerville area just has alot more money and definately has the potential of becoming an area similiar to Va-highlands with cute little street front shops tucked away in a cozy, forested neighborhood.

For Columbus:

By far, the nicest area is Green Island Hills. It is a large area in the NW part of Columbus along Lake Oliver. Many of Columbus' wealthiest live in that area. Bill Heard, owner of Bill Heard Chevrolet (world's largest Chevrolet Dealer), recently built a 25,000 sq. ft. home. Green Island is a mixture of new and old homes. Also, Tree Tops which is near Green Island is a very trendy/wealthy neighborhood.

I must agree with you on Green Island, but i think that whole area of Columbus should really be included. Look up the street to the brookstone nieghborhood where the average price is a half million dollars for a home. and even across the river into Phenix City the gated million dollar nieghborhoods along the Alabama side of Lake Oliver Rock Island & St. Annes Bueatiful upper class homes priced well over the million dollar mark.

In MACON....

.....North Macon/Bass Rd. Area & Oakview/Sub-South Macon. Both areas have million dollar homes, heavily landscaped yards, golf, and you can find all the Bentleys, Ferraris, and Maseratis in these areas aswell. Providence in North Macon also has there own "Towne Centre" with office space, shops, amphitheatre, a lake, and more.

In MACON....

.....North Macon/Bass Rd. Area & Oakview/Sub-South Macon. Both areas have million dollar homes, heavily landscaped yards, golf, and you can find all the Bentleys, Ferraris, and Maseratis in these areas aswell. Providence in North Macon also has there own "Towne Centre" with office space, shops, amphitheatre, a lake, and more.

If trendiest means most "up and coming" (rather than most expensive), then not sure what area of Columbus really qualifies. Columbus not really a "trendy" city -- at least in a artsy-craftsy sense. I think that trendiness for Columbus is still a few years off. With the next 5 years, I can see Bibb City, DT and Midtown starting to become trendy. Possibly spilling over into East Highlands. In those areas there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of underutilized but beautiful housing. If there is a reason to live close in (jobs, recreation) then those neighborhoods will really be popping. Assuming that whitewater comes on line (with new hotels, cafes, and jobs) that will help == as would expansion of TSYS and other businesses in the DT area.

Columbus seems to be slightly behind other 2d tier cities -- so I would expect the "trendiness" factor to catch on there shortly. But right now my opinion is that Columbus is still in a pre-trendy stage.

Socaguy pretty much covered the trendiest areas in Augusta (Summerville/Central Ave and Downtown/Artist's Row). However, crossing the river into SC, downtown Aiken is attracting increasingly "hip" businesses. 10 years ago, you could pretty much only dine and buy antiques/knick-knacks in Aiken. Businesses in DT Aiken today include several art galleries, a modern upscale furniture store (and a new furniture design studio), high-end women's clothing and shoe store, several trendy new restaurant/bars, an organic grocer, an upscale grocer, new performing arts center, etc... You'll still find plenty of elderly folk perusing the antiques, but Aiken's attracting a lot more young folk these days.

Topher, last time I drove through Downtown Aiken I noticed a few of the places you mentioned. Aiken seems to be drawing more and more of a hip crowd lately, (as opposed to the hip-replacement crowd who always seemed to predominate in the town, {its a big retirement area}).

Yea, wasnt really talking about expensive suburban areas. I was really going for intown, older neighborhoods with street front retail nodes, older gentrified homes, etc.

Another area of Augusta I would "look out" for is Harrisburg. An older area in between DT and Summerville, Harrisburg is still pretty scary at times but lots of students live in the area and Walton Way is gentrifying with the new Hospital, new restaurants and the like.

North Augusta seems HOT lately too but its Downtown is anything from trendy. The city is attracting lots of people with money and seems to have a fairly large gay population but Downtown is still very QUAINT...reminiscent of a small town with banks, pharmacy, diners, church's, gift stores, etc. In other words nothing very trendy or eclectic. Absolutely nothing wrong with this though, as its a cute Downtown and very clean. I do see some more "hip' places coming in the future though, especially since the new retail strip with lofts above was recently built and the expansion of Hammonds Ferry.

Thanks Atlman1. Sounds like some interesting neighborhoods. LOL Spartan. Your probably right....I probably wouldnt consider any area of any city in South Carolina trendy....but the 5 pts. area seemed young and vibrant last time I was in that area (maybe 10 years ago?). I wouldnt go so far as to say any of Augustas neighborhoods are trendy either... I guess eclectic might have been a better word for Summerville. About as trendy as you can get in a mid-sized southern city in the shadow of a giant, (Atlanta).

^^Look we are talking about Georgias mid sized cities here....None of them are going to be what id really call trendy. South Carolinas mid-sized cities (Greenville and Columbia and possibly Charleston) probably have trendier areas than Georgias (except Atlanta or MAYBE and thats a big maybe) Savannah. Lets just try to get as close as possible as we can, alright?

Im not sure why its not clear but Im thinking about intown areas with older, gentrified homes, retail at street-level (pedestrian activity) sporting trendy little boutiques, cafes, etc. Greenvilles West End comes to mind although its pretty much just an extension of Downtown. Im not talking about suburban areas but some could be considered trendy. I dont care for McMansions and gated hoods and most cities have these areas so leave those out.

I would not equate to Greenville or Columbia in any way as being more trendy than "a big maybe" Savannah. Savannah is not a big maybe, and thats pretty obvious. Yes, it is a tourist destination, but SCAD has influenced a tremendous development of a trendy scene in Savannah. Also, I actually think that downtown Macon has trendy components as well. I think we may all be talking about something else. Trendy needs to be defined at least for this particular topic.

Actually, all Providence has right now are homes. None of the other amenities have been added. Ground has been cleared for the commercial development and, I've been told, the amphitheater.

For Macon as a whole, I asked my wife. She's far more knowledgeable about all things trendy, and she laughed when I mentioned Macon and trendy in the same sentence. As for the higher-income areas around Macon, in her words, "money does not necessarily equate to trendy."

OK lets see. How would I define trendy? Young, hip, cutting edge. Artsy wouldnt be trendy and neither would having alot of money...BUT there are places that are a combination of all three.

I guess trendy was a poor word. Maybe hip? What is your Georgias cities hippest neighborhood? The one that is being gentrified by young buyers? The one with the cool little strip of walkable, urban shops and cafes kind of like Virginia Highland in Atlanta.

Is it that hard to understand this??? I know none of Georgias cities can even compare with Atlanta or bigger cities but at least try to come up with something and quit being so freakin picky!!

Its not hard to understand, but you need to be specific about what you are asking for. There are plenty of trendy suburban areas too. I also didn't meant for this to turn into an SC thread. Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

Providence sounds exactly like what would fit in the trendy neighbohood category. I'm wiling to bet that a part of Savannah's historic district is particualrly trendy. I'm also sure that Columbus and Valdosta, maybe even Athens has some of these too.

Was I not clear enough in my first post? Gentrified older houses and my comparison to Virginia Highland was close enough I think. Anyway, when most people think of trendy areas they dont think of suburbs....I know I dont. BUT if that is all a city has to offer then go for it!

At the risk of being redundant, I am inclined to put Columbus in the "pre-trendy" stage. The focus has generally been on an expanding suburbia -- especially in Lee County where taxes are lower and and is cheaper. Tract homes with strip centers serving for retail.

Maybe, being generous, however, I suppose that there are certain areas of town that might be considered as early-trendy or trending-trendy.

There is Mid-Town where there is an active and ongoing attempt at regentrification. Plans are announced for new trendy-type retail (cafes, boutiques, etc) along a several block stretch of Wynnton Rd (with a streetscape project). This area has great potential but probably still a few years away from true trendiness. In its favor are a slew of old gorgeous homes (mansions even), new library and the Museum/garden. Overlook is a particularly beautiful residential area -- but it exemplifies the downside of the area as well. Immediately adjacent to Overlook -- without any buffer -- is a slummy area with lots of crime/drugs. Unless and until this seamier side of Midtown is dealt with, the trendy plans for the area may prove to be lipstick on a pig.

A short distance away on 13th St -- closer to the St Elmo-Lakebottom area -- there is already in existence what I would call a trendy-looking little shopping area with a Loco's bar/grill, cafes, art galleries, and other little shops. Immediately across 13th St is a strip center (same owner) which is now being redeveloped along the same trendy lines --it includes a great grocery (carrying all the trendy gourmet items), florist, etc. There is additional retail, a Red Lobster, banks etc. in the immediate area. However, 99% of clientele for all these retail establishments use their cars -- so the area is really just an urban strip mall. The trees along 13th were even recently cut to expand the grocery parking lot! Hardly a sign of trendiness! At the other end of the park there is the quaint little vintage St Elmo shopping center -- art gallery, deli, boutiques. This area around the park too may have great trendy potential -- but the majority of homes in the area are still owned by the geriatric set (present company excluded!). Until a new set of younger folks moves in and takes over home ownership, I would be hesitant to classify the area as anything other than simply trending trendy.

DT is probably as far along the trendy path as anywhere else. Thanx to CSU, TSYS and Synovus -- and especially WC Bradley Real Estate. The new Eagle & Phenix development will really start the trendy bandwagon rolling (condos, cafes and retail). If the 2 highrise condos announced along the river in PC -- Phenixian and Phenix Rising -- are built then trendy would certainly be an appropriate adjective. The Sculpture Walk is already announced for a 2 block stretch along B'way -- adding to the artsy, Bohemian feel. Because of CSU, the area is filled with young musicians, artists and drama students -- a small version of DT Athens. White water --- if ever approved and finished -- will -- in my opinion -- seal the deal on DT trendiness. Will be a magnet for new visitors and all that that entails -- shops, bars, cafes, hotels. In fact -- this may sound like hyperbole -- but whitewater has the potential of making the whole stretch (1 mile + ) of 2d Ave from DT to Bibb City hip and trendy.

East Highland/RoseHill (around Medical Center/Doctors Hospital) is less far along. However, with Ashley Station Townhouse now on line, Talbotton Rd set for widening and the new Rails-To-Trails coming right thru that area, and the large tract along 12 Ave where the Jordan Mill stood, then it has to be considered a possible trendy contender in the future.

Archived