I'll be in Charleston next week?

bobliocatt

I've made plans to visit the wonderful city of Charleston for the Memorial Day weekend, next week. This will be the first time I've been in about 5 years. I was wondering, what are some good unique restuarants to dine in? Is there anything big going on, that weekend, because just about all the hotels are sold out? What are the best plantations in the area? Finally, are there any areas that any of you would like to see pics of?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lakelander,

I'd love to see pics of the new bridge, its probably nearing completion by now, and of course the wonderful Battery district. And, if you make it out of the historic district, I'm curious as to what the CBD looks like these days, I haven't been in a while either. Have a great trip!

Thanks, I'll be sure to get a pic or two of the new bridge. I'm planning on visiting Patroit's Point, so I might even snap a couple of shots as I drive across it.

Does Charleston have a newer CBD? I always figured it was a part of the historic district. Anyway, I'll probably spend lot of time in it because this summer, I'm focusing my photo threads on each city's dense street scenes.

Spoleto is a huge tourist draw. The city will be teeming with everything you can think of. You'll definately need to go to the State Aquarium. You should be able to get some decent shots of the new bridge from there as well.

At Patriot's Point is the USS Yorktown, which is very interesting... it also allows for some exellent shots of downtown Charelston if you go onto the deck.

Alot of the neighborhoods near the Battery are very compact, and you will have a great chance to view the street grid which supposedly hasn't changed at all since the 1600s. You'll also be able to see the 'Charleston style' houses. You should also make a point to see Rainbow Row.

Ft. Sumter, Ft. Moultrie(on Sullivan's Island) and Castle Pinkney are great palces to visit if you like history and the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

Charleston doesn't really have a major CBD... not like most cities. It does exist though, but you will most likely go to King St. Meeting St., Marion Square and also Market St. (at Meeting) The Old Slave Market has recently been rennovated and is a very interesting place to see. King St is where the largest concentration of restaurants and shopping are. Not to say that there aren't some in other places. They might tend to cater to the tourists alittle, but they are still good :) My Favorites restraunt is called "Sullivan's" its on Sullivan's Island at 2019 Middle St. Saint Michael's (or maybe its St. Matthews) Church is interesting. The Four Corners of Law is as well. And the College of Charleston specifically the Rotunda (i think thats what its called).

Another thing that I have yet to do is to see the CSS Hunley being restored. Unfortunately you can't take pictures, but it would probably be worth it. Information about it can be obtained here.

Plantations:

Magnolia Plantation

McLeod Plantation (pronounced McLoud)

Other places of intrest:

Drayton Hall

Middleton Place

mainshot_home.jpg

Charlseton Metro Area

SC-Charleston.gif

Thanks for the replies. This Spoleto thing must be pretty huge, because all the hotels in the historic district were sold out already, so I had to reserve a spot in North Charleston.

I also never knew Charleston had an Aquarium. That's something I'll have to check out also. It looks like my weekend will be pretty busy. I plan to spend two days in Charleston and spend Memorial Day in Savannah. I'm bringing two digital cameras, so I should have a lot of pics to post.

Well, its still there, but its kinda crappy... it was severely damaged in Hugo, and I think it just recently got itself fixed up enough to where it can accept visitors again. But it was built in the area where the original Charles Towne was... the settlers moved over to Oyster Point where the Battery is today, and formed the current Charles Towne.

To be honest, I didn't know that there were other things besides Charles Towne Landing. All that happend before I was born...

I do know that at Charles Towne Landing there was a building that was supposed to be really futuristic.... but it was heavily damaged during Hugo, and I think that building has been replaced or at least rennovated. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I will look into this and see if I can come up with some info on it.

• 3 weeks later...

The SC Tricentenial was celebrated with 3 sites spread across the state in the three major cities. Each century of the 300 years was represented in a different location. Charles Towne Landing represented the first century 1670-1770. A second site in Columbia represented the second (1770-1870), and was on the sites of 2-3 historic houses and gardens from that era, that were in close proximity to each other. The houses are still there, but the marketing of them as part of the Tricentenial was just for that event. The third century was with a site in Greenville (where I currently live). I don't remember much about it, or if it still exists, but it represented the final century 1870-1970.

As for the Charles Towne Landing. Even though it was a historic park, the "Pavilion" was very futuristic and out of place. Hurricane Hugo did a number on it, and so it was closed to the public. A couple years ago, the state final torn it down, and either has, or soon will, replace it with something more appropriate to the era. Despite numerous visits to Charleston, I have yet to make it to Charles Towne Landing.

P.S. How was the trip Lakelander?

Glad you had a good trip Lakelander! Charleston is one of my favorite cities. You're right about the fact that there are as many things to do as in a much bigger city.

You can never see all the city has to offer, and it gets better all the time. They just added an aquarium last year and plan a major museum to African-American history in the same area.

• 3 months later...

They just added an aquarium last year...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been a couple years since I lived there (left in 2000), but was it then that they started the construction of the aquarium?? For some reason, I was thinking they were nearing completion back in 2000.... but I do recall being upset either way because I was leaving the city.

Archived