Schuler Books goes downtown

Rizzo

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible news - now the challenge is to support Schulers in their move downtown. I have a friend who loves the idea of a downtown bookstore (as well as other retail) and yet continued to shop at the 28th St Barnes and Noble while Riverbank Books was open. Let's put our money where our mouths are - I am committing to making the downtown Schulers my ONLY bookstore from now on. Thanks to the owners of Schulers for making this move.

Looking at their move from a pedestrian traffic standpoint (and per the article in the Press) - I think they are making a pretty good move. The art museum and the addition of more hotels will be a catalyst for more foot traffic into their store and will hopefully create opportunities for other small business in the area.

Now... if we could only get a grocery store down there... <_<

Incredible news - now the challenge is to support Schulers in their move downtown. I have a friend who loves the idea of a downtown bookstore (as well as other retail) and yet continued to shop at the 28th St Barnes and Noble while Riverbank Books was open. Let's put our money where our mouths are - I am committing to making the downtown Schulers my ONLY bookstore from now on. Thanks to the owners of Schulers for making this move.

Agree! Much thanks to the Fehsenfelds! Let's help them make it work!!! If Schulers succeeds, others will follow.

I second that!

Wow! This is the biggest news for downtown retail I've heard since living here. This is exactly the kind of chain store people have been saying downtown needs to draw people. Hopefully this will end up helping other retail spaces get tennants.

Not only excellent news, I think the fact that Schuler's has multiple locations and a lot of buying power (I believe they have an agreement with Borders - that is why you don't see Borders in GR) will give them the ability to survive (and eventually thrive).

I also like the fact that they get a window on Monroe. It was something the Downtown Retail Task Force discussed. I hope they add some signage too to help people know where it is on Monroe. I think the BCBS building is setup odd, so hopefully they can overcome some of the negative aspects with window displays and signage.

Bravo. This is what I had been hoping for all along!

Joe

As far as I know (was it mentioned here?), they are moving the 28th street location into Woodland (near Celebration Cinema).

Joe

This is great news!

According to their website, the 28th street location occupies 35,000 square feet. it will be interesting to see how they design this smaller location (8,000 square feet).

This is great for GR. We all need to make the effort to patronize and promote Schuler's whenever possible.

Hopefully other Grand Rapids based retailers will be watching and they will see that it IS possible to create a non-standard store format that is profitable and successful in downtown GR (Meijer, Family Fare - take note!).

I think the best thing about this great addition to DT is the fact that it's a local institution. As much as I love the growth DTGR has experienced I hope we can avoid the 'everycity' feel of Starbucks/Barnes & Noble, etc. It's great that a local company is diving in and hopefully others (cough, Meijer) will follow their lead. This would make DT a unique location and also assure that we're reinvesting in the local community rather than sending our $s outstate. It'd be a definite win-win.

While it stinks that people that bought giftcards to RiverBank got jipped, especially since I bet most of the giftcards purchased were done so by loyal customers interested in keeping the place open, it's really cool that Schulers may extend an olive branch to those same people. :good:

I will be sure to frequent the place often.

Archived