Schuler Books goes downtown

Rizzo

I think the best thing about this great addition to DT is the fact that it's a local institution. As much as I love the growth DTGR has experienced I hope we can avoid the 'everycity' feel of Starbucks/Barnes & Noble, etc. It's great that a local company is diving in and hopefully others (cough, Meijer) will follow their lead. This would make DT a unique location and also assure that we're reinvesting in the local community rather than sending our $s outstate. It'd be a definite win-win.

Locally owned, yes, but your money still gets sent out of state - I think the major vendor supplying Schuler Books is Amazon. Not exactly how it works to amass buying power, but aren't they partnered with someone else for their music as well? Seems I have seen labels on some CD's indicating who, but the name escapes me now. Locally owned and operated, but in retail money always leaves the state to pay vendors and suppliers.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Locally owned, yes, but your money still gets sent out of state - I think the major vendor supplying Schuler Books is Amazon. Not exactly how it works to amass buying power, but aren't they partnered with someone else for their music as well? Seems I have seen labels on some CD's indicating who, but the name escapes me now. Locally owned and operated, but in retail money always leaves the state to pay vendors and suppliers.
I don

The confusion about Amazon may stem from the fact that Borders.com was (for a time) owned and operated by Amazon.com

I think I read that Borders severed that relationship to bring online sales back in-house.

As for shopping, I really like Schuler Books and feel they do a better job at staffing book-geeks than B&N. On the note of distribution: Even if Borders is their distributor, your money is still best spent at a local seller (like Schuler Books) than at B&N. At least the executives of the company are spending their restaurant, car-dealer, grocery and whatever-else dollars here in GR instead of far away. What's more, don't all independents need a distributor (who is likely out of state) to buy their books?

Unless the retailer is buying only Made in Michigan products, some money ends up going out of state. (There are lots of publishers here, but probably not enough to stock all the shelves.)

As an example, I like what Fred does with his disposable income, so I spend my hard-earned dollars there. Kroger is based in Cincinnati, and they probably have a Kroger arena or Kroger Gardens or Kroger Heart Center. I'm sure there are many Walton projects in Arkansas and other places that I'll never visit, let alone reside in.

[former retailer, used about 50 wholesale accounts, recalling only about three vendors in-state]

As an example, I like what Fred does with his disposable income, so I spend my hard-earned dollars there.

Exactly!

I am a big fan of the global economy but until Wal-Mart spends about $100 million in pure philanthropy in GR, it's Meijer (and Spartan) for me. All things being equal (or even a little unequal) I'd rather the Fehsenfeld's get the owner profit from my book purchases (whatever that amount is) than it get shipped someplace else.

DJL

Stranger, that was going to be one of my comments as well. The Schuler cafe is great - and we sure could use it DT. Also, anyone know if they are planning to grace the new DT location with musicians and small concerts? I really love that about Schuler's. I know Opera GR sometimes does small previews at the other locations, and it would be perfect to do that downtown. I don't reall any set aside room for that in the DT space, but I sure hope they consider it. And meetings for book clubs. Getting excited!! :w00t::w00t:

I was hoping that if Schuler's DID come downtown, that they'd maybe anchor 2nd Story's Fulton @ Division project. RiverBank's location to be flat out honest, STUNK. I went in there once, and the first thing that popped in my head was "Why do I feel like I'm walking into an office building, and not a storefront?"

If you're entering off M.C. you walk into a foyer with a few guards, and some offices being leased. Then you enter the book store in the last space at the back (or what appeared to be) I'm not shocked that it failed. I hate to say it, but when I enter a store, any store I don't like to be greeted by a foyer I'd rather just walk right into the store. This is why I hate shopping malls.

I hate to say it, but when I enter a store, any store I don't like to be greeted by a foyer I'd rather just walk right into the store. This is why I hate shopping malls.

But, they need to adapt retail to downtown's existing structures. If was the setup you desribed above, wouldn't it be more of a big box store versus urban retial. Besides, it has a storefront on Fountain. Although that is not exactly a pedestrian friendly street.

Does anyone have anymore information about when the store will open? I know the article says October but is there anything more specific?

It seems like they could open it in a matter of weeks, all they need is a sign installed and some staff trained, right? Isn't everything else all ready there for the most part?

Borders' HQ is in Ann Arbor, so the money really doesn't move out of state. Borders severed the Amazon/Borders.com relationshop as apart of their restructuring. So you buy Schuler's you support a locally owned company who buys their books from another Michigan company based out of AA. A win/win versus B&N.

I can't wait to visit Schuler's DT location. I certainly hope they have a used book section like they do on the 28th st store.

Does anyone have anymore information about when the store will open? I know the article says October but is there anything more specific?

It seems like they could open it in a matter of weeks, all they need is a sign installed and some staff trained, right? Isn't everything else all ready there for the most part?

I don't know. Schulers is a pretty well run organization, so I'm sure there is a lot that needs to be done regarding: staffing, training, AP/AR, inventory management, setting up their computer systems, phone systems, etc, etc.. I think a 30 - 45 day ramp up is pretty aggressive.

But, they need to adapt retail to downtown's existing structures. If was the setup you desribed above, wouldn't it be more of a big box store versus urban retial. Besides, it has a storefront on Fountain. Although that is not exactly a pedestrian friendly street.

Every other storefront on Monroe Center works like I described earlier... When I go into Grand Central Market, I enter Grand Central Market, not the building foyer. or any other establishment not the police station.

Two things:

1. When facing the MC entrance, the bank is on the left and Blue Cross is on the right. It would be nice if Schuler Books get a big display window facing MC. That may be a problem since Blue Cross may occupy the space where a window display could go. I'll have to walk by it at lunch...I don't remember if there is a window.

2. What is the purpose of those security guards in the lobby? It's even more ridiculous when they put up that small "jail cell" looking device when they are gone.

The lobby could be more inviting...that is for sure.

Two things:

1. When facing the MC entrance, the bank is on the left and Blue Cross is on the right. It would be nice if Schuler Books get a big display window facing MC. That may be a problem since Blue Cross may occupy the space where a window display could go. I'll have to walk by it at lunch...I don't remember if there is a window.

2. What is the purpose of those security guards in the lobby? It's even more ridiculous when they put up that small "jail cell" looking device when they are gone.

The lobby could be more inviting...that is for sure.

Part of the deal that Rockford worked out is that Schuler's will get one of the window displays along MC.

It is an unusual layout, but at least they have access to MC, considering the retail space is technically on Fountain.

That's great. I am sure the window exposure will help a lot.

Part of the deal that Rockford worked out is that Schuler's will get one of the window displays along MC.

It is an unusual layout, but at least they have access to MC, considering the retail space is technically on Fountain.

The news stand idea is great!

I am really looking forward to the magazine/newspaper section Schuler Books will have.

In each of their stores they keep a very current and diverse section.

I know there is another store in the downtown area that has a large selection of magazines but if you are looking for something other than muscle car and sports magazines there is not much of a selection. I tend to look for; business, world news, politics, etc...

I believe a current and diverse selection of magazines/newspapers bring people in on a daily basis. Since most book stores do not make any profit from these items, I always purchase a cappuccino and cookie when I buy a magazine/newspaper from Schuler Books;)

I wonder, does the space that Schuler's is moving into have any room for expansion? I have a feeling that 8,000 square feet will just be a start! I have dreamed of something like this for a long time and now I really don't have to go to 28th street for anything :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is Bill Fehsenfeld. My wife, Cecile and I own Schuler Books. Thanks for all the enthusiasm and support! We're really looking forward to giving this a try.

To answer a few of the questions... we are shooting to open right at the end of October - probably on Halloween! There is, indeed, a lot to do. No one has touched the inventory since December 2006. There are lots of hardcovers which are now out in paperback. We need to do a lot of weeding and ordering. We need to hire and train a staff. I'd like to make some changes to the layout to make it more friendly. We are working on figuring out the systems. And so on.

As pointed out, the access to Monroe Center is not ideal. However, this was a unique situation where the bookstore was built and filled with inventory - everyone involved wanted to make some kind of deal work out. As noted in our press release, we and Rockford are committed to giving it at least a 3 year try. I'm sure we will be experimenting with a number of changes over that time. Hopefully it will work out for the long haul. Blue Cross has agreed to give us one of their windows for display on Monroe Center, which should help. We'll try to have good signage on that side. Still, you need to walk through the foyer to get to the store. The security in the foyer is required for Blue Cross because of all the privacy regulation on health insurance. Any ideas you have for more of a presence on MC, or to make that entry way more inviting would be most welcome!

We will have a Chapbook Cafe there. With the equipment in place, and a few small additions, we will be able to do most of our menu.

We plan on offering used books. I'm thinking of shelving them in with the new books, like Powell's in Portland does. The inventory system there is capable of showing used books on hand, which the inventory system at our other stores is not.

Thanks again for your interest and enthusiasm. Anything else you were wondering about?

Archived