Schuler Books goes downtown

Rizzo

The textbook market is a good market to go into; students have to buy that and a place that would be more competitive would be great. However, it'd be nicer to have textbooks for all schools in one location and I have rarely seen that. (And by all I mean all in the area.)

IMO, the textbook market would be really hard to get into. Most students I know--including myself--are buying most books online where the prices are hard to beat.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duuuude! I love bookstores. Open open open open... :)

Yeah! Btw, great pictures. And I love bookstores too. I could live in a bookstore. I want to be a writer but really, I'd love even more if "reader" was a profession. I come as close as possible to being a "reader" as a job; I'm not a book editor but that would be fun too. When does it open exactly? I'm so busy and get double booked but this event, top of my itinerary!

IMO, the textbook market would be really hard to get into. Most students I know--including myself--are buying most books online where the prices are hard to beat.

True, it should be competitively priced and well, I didn't want to be discouraging but admittedly, I only bought one book from my tiny college bookstore. I bought another online and from now on I will shop online for textbooks but I'm a little wary of that because then I don't know for sure if it's the best quality textbook; I try to buy used.

Yeah! Btw, great pictures. And I love bookstores too. I could live in a bookstore. I want to be a writer but really, I'd love even more if "reader" was a profession. I come as close as possible to being a "reader" as a job; I'm not a book editor but that would be fun too. When does it open exactly? I'm so busy and get double booked but this event, top of my itinerary!

I believe the 29th (Monday).

I mentioned it at the beginning of this thread way back when but I want to bring it up again. I pledge that the Schuler's downtown will be my primary source of books from now on. If my fellow UP-ers would also take the pledge, it would go a long way to securing their future and possibly be a catalyst for further downtown retail. I was walking Monroe Center Friday evening with friends and we all commented on the Ottawa/Monroe Center intersection - the GRAM store and the old VanHoeks/Two Choppers spaces would make an ideal starting point for the retail ripple effect. Foot traffic in and out of Schuler's can only help - I plan on stopping in this Wednesday and getting a jump on my Christmas shopping. (And what better day to shop for Christmas than Halloween.) My thanks to the folks at Schulers for pulling this one off and best wishes to them.

I mentioned it at the beginning of this thread way back when but I want to bring it up again. I pledge that the Schuler's downtown will be my primary source of books from now on. If my fellow UP-ers would also take the pledge, it would go a long way to securing their future and possibly be a catalyst for further downtown retail. I was walking Monroe Center Friday evening with friends and we all commented on the Ottawa/Monroe Center intersection - the GRAM store and the old VanHoeks/Two Choppers spaces would make an ideal starting point for the retail ripple effect. Foot traffic in and out of Schuler's can only help - I plan on stopping in this Wednesday and getting a jump on my Christmas shopping. (And what better day to shop for Christmas than Halloween.) My thanks to the folks at Schulers for pulling this one off and best wishes to them.

I'm in. :thumbsup:

Between Schuler's, Stray Dog and Literary Life there should be no need to venture very far from the core. :)

I mentioned it at the beginning of this thread way back when but I want to bring it up again. I pledge that the Schuler's downtown will be my primary source of books from now on. If my fellow UP-ers would also take the pledge, it would go a long way to securing their future and possibly be a catalyst for further downtown retail. ... Foot traffic in and out of Schuler's can only help ...My thanks to the folks at Schulers for pulling this one off and best wishes to them.

Although I tend to not buy books (the library is my best buddy), I do pick up magazines (and not the National Midnight Star variety as mentioned in the M@C commentary). At RB, I used them as a source for my Sunday Freep until their extra copies stopped coming. (The Freep had many delivery issues in this neck of the woods last year.) Once they turn on the fireplace, I'll be happy to pledge them my Sunday Wifi and lunch/coffee biz.

Although I tend to not buy books (the library is my best buddy), I do pick up magazines (and not the National Midnight Star variety as mentioned in the M@C commentary). At RB, I used them as a source for my Sunday Freep until their extra copies stopped coming. (The Freep had many delivery issues in this neck of the woods last year.) Once they turn on the fireplace, I'll be happy to pledge them my Sunday Wifi and lunch/coffee biz.

Hi all-

This is Bill Fehsenfeld again. Thanks for all your support. We officially open tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10:00. Tonight we are having a ribon cutting and reception starting at 5:00 and you are all welcome to come. I think the store is looking great inside, but of course we will have a lot of fine tuning to do over the next weeks and months (magazine vendor screwed up this week). I look forward to seeing you all there!

Again, thanks for all the enthusiasm - it makes us feel good about taking this leap.

Hi all-

This is Bill Fehsenfeld again. Thanks for all your support. We officially open tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10:00. Tonight we are having a ribon cutting and reception starting at 5:00 and you are all welcome to come. I think the store is looking great inside, but of course we will have a lot of fine tuning to do over the next weeks and months (magazine vendor screwed up this week). I look forward to seeing you all there!

Again, thanks for all the enthusiasm - it makes us feel good about taking this leap.

Hi Bill,

Bummer about the magazine vendor! Jess and I will be there for the ribbon cutting ceremony... We were anxious to get down the store today :( but we will have to wait till Tuesday (believe us it is worth the wait). The window signage appears to have given you a bit of exposure and presence. Also the drop down sign on MC looks stellar. Does it illuminate at night?

best,

Justin

I won't be there today... but with a Schuler's downtown, I have a new first-choice for bookstore! Hooray!

I'm probably not their target (I only shop at Schuler's anyway....usually the 28th St. location, but prefer to go downtown during business lunch instead of 28th St. after work).

Hi all-

A buddy in the bicycle club (who works at the 28th Street branch) says this is printed invite only. So I'll be printing out Bill's message on here. Just thought I'd mention it...

Archived