Charlotte Weather

As of a couple hours ago, the Charlotte Douglas Airport has hit 90 degrees or above for the 19th consecutive day. This puts the current streak in fourth place knocking out 7/4/77-7/22/77 (19 days) as the old fourth place streak. This only leaves three 90 degree day streaks ahead of the current one. They are; 8/31/25-9/21/25 (22 days), 7/4/86-8/3/86 (31 days), and 6/28/93-7/30/93 (33 days). The weather forecast tomorrow may make it pretty close as the high is expected to be right around 90 degrees, however, after that, it looks like all next week should be in the 90's as well. We will see if the current streak holds. Also, the atmosphere looks like it may get a little more active and unstable this week, giving a higher probability of much needed rain. So far, the airport has only recorded 0.01" this month. The record for least rainfall in August is 0.61" in 1972, and there is a good chance we will break that as well.

So far, the airport has only recorded 0.01" this month. The record for least rainfall in August is 0.61" in 1972, and there is a good chance we will break that as well.

that's not good news. we definitely need rain. I've cut back on water usuage and hope everyone else has done as well (wishful thinking).

It got pretty interesting last night when those storms rolled through. The wind kicked up so much dirt and mud from the patchwork of construction sites, that I could barely see the skyline from SouthEnd...

storm01.jpg

storm02.jpg

storm03.jpg

4 minutes of rain was preceded by pea size hail. It did a pretty good job of knocking the temperature down from 100 degrees.

storm04.jpg

storm05.jpg

storm06.jpg

storm07.jpg

THE STREAK DOESN'T END!

As of 6pm today the high temperature at the Charlotte Douglas Airport was 90 degrees, which continues the streak of days with a temperature of 90 degrees or above at 28 days. The four week (28 day) record, is a new third place in the longest 90-day streaks ever since records have been kept (1879). If we can hit 90 until Thursday, we can break the 2nd place record of 31 days. We also still have a shot to break the least precipitation ever during the month of August. The old record is 0.61, so unless the airport picks up another quarter inch of rain or so in the next four days, we will set the all time record for least rain in August in any given year. I will keep track of that one in the next few days.

Edited by mediamongrel

OTHER RECORDS SET TO BE BROKEN!

There is another interesting record which might be broken by August 31, 2007. This record is the average temperature for August. The record for highest average August temperature is 81.9 set back in 1900. Currently, the average temperature to date in Charlotte in 84.1 Unless temperatures take a massive dive and lessen the average by 2.2 degrees, then we will also set a record for highest ever average temperature in August.

RECORD #1 BROKEN;

HIGHEST AVERAGE AUGUST TEMPERATURE = 83.7 (2007)

OLD RECORD = 81.9 (1900)

RECORD #2 BROKEN;

2ND LONGEST STREAK WITH TEMPERATURE 90 DEGREES OR HIGHER = 32 (2007)

*NOTE THE FIRST PLACE RECORD IS 33 DAYS BUT WILL PROBABLY NOT BE TIED TOMORROW.

RECORD #3 BROKEN (TENTATIVE)

LEAST RAINFALL FOR AUGUST = 0.41" (2007)

OLD RECORD = 0.61" (1972)

*NOTE THIS RECORD IS VALID UNLESS THE AIRPORT RECEIVES 0.21" OF RAIN OR MORE THIS EVENING

CERTAINLY, THIS AUGUST WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS WE BREAK THREE ALL TIME RECORDS, AS WELL AS SETTING NUMEROUS TEMPERATURE RECORDS THIS MONTH INCLUDING 104 DEGREES, WHICH IS THE HIGHEST EVER.

• 3 months later...

Remember New Year's Eve last year? When it actually got warmer as the night went on? Every time we stepped out onto the deck, it seemed better than the last time. By midnight, we were all sitting out there like it was a Fall mid-day.

Low of 52 at 11:00am, up to 66 by 11pm.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airpor...eq_statename=NA

I'll take that again this year.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if there are other weather geeks out there, but something fairly bizarre happened yesterday morning.

I checked the airport temp (on wunderground.com) before leaving for work and it said 40. Yet my in-car thermometer said about 56 down in Ballantyne. As I drove to the uptown, it gradually fell to right around 40.

Checking some "personal weather stations" down near me, there was a very odd bubble of warmth. Check this one from 5am to 8am (the little graph shows it best):

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation...3&year=2008

Or this one, a little further west, shows it even better from 4:30am to 6:30am:

This isn't totally unheard-of, but the strange thing is, there was no similar bump at the airport:

You'll notice on the first two that the bump happens when the pressure bottoms out. The same bottoming is seen at the airport, but no temp bump.

Peculiar.

Don't know if there are other weather geeks out there, but something fairly bizarre happened yesterday morning.

I checked the airport temp (on wunderground.com) before leaving for work and it said 40. Yet my in-car thermometer said about 56 down in Ballantyne. As I drove to the uptown, it gradually fell to right around 40.

Checking some "personal weather stations" down near me, there was a very odd bubble of warmth. Check this one from 5am to 8am (the little graph shows it best):

Or this one, a little further west, shows it even better from 4:30am to 6:30am:

This isn't totally unheard-of, but the strange thing is, there was no similar bump at the airport:

You'll notice on the first two that the bump happens when the pressure bottoms out. The same bottoming is seen at the airport, but no temp bump.

Peculiar.

I don't know about all of the meteorological speak but methinks your in car thermometer wasn't reading right. It was 32 in Matthews at 9:10 this morning and a 24 degree swing between here and Ballantyne doesn't seem possible. I could understand a 5, even 10 degree (that's really pushing it) drop from one side of town to another, but 20+ degrees?

Edited by Raintree21

I don't know about all of the meteorological speak but methinks your in car thermometer wasn't reading right. It was 32 in Matthews at 9:10 this morning and a 24 degree swing between here and Ballantyne doesn't seem possible. I could understand a 5, even 10 degree (that's really pushing it) drop from one side of town to another, but 20+ degrees?

Its very possible. I saw a 15 degree drop between the intersection of N. Tryon and Eastway, and the intersection of Eastway and shamrock, thats less than 5 miles. This was also reported in the paper. In fact yesterday it was reported to be 39 in downtown charlotte, and 59 in downtown monroe.

Yeah, that was really quirky yesterday morning. I spoke to my sister who lives in Union County who said that she was listening to a Charlotte radio station as she got ready for work around 6:30 AM and they said it was 39 so she dressed accordingly. Then once she got in her car the temperature gauge on her dashboard said 58 and she was like, "huh??"

As dramatic as cold fronts are when they blast through and drop the temperature, warm fronts typically move very slowly and can often shift back and forth over an area throughout the course of a day and cause huge temperature variances over a very small geographical area.

Regarding the snow, what a bummer that Charlotte got missed by that little surprise storm. Greensboro picked up a quick 2 inches!