Charlotte Weather

7 hours ago, asthasr said:

Lightning seems to have killed my chest freezer. Goodbye, food.

Yikes several homes around town were struck by lightning I know.  A strike once fried the control board of an AC in one of rental properties. I think I read NC is #2 in lightning after Florida in USA

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hurricane Harvey hitting the TX Gulf coast will have an impact here in Charlotte not weatherwise but wallet wise. Gas has already jumped 10 cents as Corpus and Houston are major refining sources and ;provide almost all the gasoline for the Carolinas and southeast. Watch and see if there is huge flooding in the Houston Baytown Beaumont Corpus Christi areas and if so gas prices will rise rapidly here. What Texas makes the nations takes especially in refined gasoline, chemicals and natural gas. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Thinking of Houston and Harvey, can anyone recall the level of devastation in Charlotte region from Hugo in terms of rain? Wind I know was a terrible disaster, trees everywhere on the ground, transportation blocked, electricity out for weeks in some places. Rain? I cannot remember.

Not much. Looks like it was gone in a day, which was not the case with Harvey.

hugo1989filledrainwhite.gif

Yes Hugo was a huge wind event for Charlotte but not rain. I remember it well. It was moving so fast the problem with Harvey is that it just stopped then barely moved for days. Tropical Storm Jerry brought more flooding to Charlotte than the little bit of rain relatively Hugo brought. 

• Like 1

Speaking of rain we will probably get some from Irma early next week. what are people's thoughts on effects on the many new oceanfront high rises in Miami Beach Sunny Isle etc 400-500 foot condo towers.  If the storm makes landfall south of Miami that would make strongest winds to right side of eyewall. Miami has not been tested and even Andrew in 1992 hit much further south but close to Miami strike could bring unthinkable high rise damage. Hurricane Alison brought lots of glass in downtown Houston imagine what would happen along Brickell Ave in Miami. Miami;'s skyline has probably tripled in high rises since Andrew hit and it has not been tested by a strong close hitting storm. 

Just check this out only 4 out of the 50 tallest buildings in Miami were there in 1992! It hasn't tripled in skyline it has grown 10 fold. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Miami

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

The tallest 21 buildings in Miami Beach all built since Hurricane Andrew in 1992. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Miami_Beach and Sunny Isles which is north of MB is all new. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Sunny_Isles_Beach   if Irma hits just south a few miles south of Miami the damage to these high rises would be unbelievable! 

• Like 1

Miami-Dade building code is literally the gold standard for wind resistant building products and design. (Search for "miami-dade compliant")

I'm way not saying there wouldn't be substantial damage with a direct hit, but that area in particular is probably better prepared than any other stretch of coastline in the country. 

• Like 1

My main concern for south Florida is all the high rises with glass. As I discovered above almost all buildings over 400 feet have been built since Andrew.  They have never been tested with this much wind.  Also now we here in Charlotte need to be concerned as the track seems to moving east the Carolinas could be in line for a direct hit.  And I was here in Hugo and the devastation of trees here in Charlotte was extensive. We all need to keep an eye on this for sure. 

• Like 1

I remember Hugo pretty well. I was only 9 years old, and living in Hickory on a 7 acre plot of land in the country. We huddled downstairs in the center of the house early that morning and stayed put. The power didn't last long. A tornado literally went through our back yard and took down hundreds of trees. 300 yards or so closer, and it could've been our house. What once was forest, was no more. A tree fell on our house - luckily only hitting the front porch.  Power was out for probably 2 weeks, and so was school. We ended up taking a mini "vacation" to a hotel somewhere (don't remember where, but it wasn't exciting) just to have power. I don't recall the rain being an issue at all really - it was just the wind.

Irma is scary in that it could bring those same kind of winds to Charlotte and the surrounding area. Now that I have my own house in a nice wooded neighborhood, it amazes me when a relatively small storm can bring down some pretty large limbs. Kind of makes me want to park our cars somewhere without trees overhead if it ends up hitting us like is predicted now. I don't mind a little bit of wind and excitement, but I don't want to go through another Hugo.

^^that mass hysteria has broke out.  Bottled water is being reporting out at stores all over the area.  However there is new invention called tap water on demand where you can turn on a faucet in most every home and water comes out that you can fill milk jugs with, or pitchers and or even refill every water bottle you empty.  Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious LOL.  I have lived with community wells and have always stored water in my fridge in jugs.  I would use it when the water went out which happen occasionally. 

• Like 1

Yes the track seems to be interior of Florida after a SoFla strike which of course is terrible and more a track up through GA to east TN. Charlotte will be on the nastier side but lessen effects.  It is looking like today not to be Hugo event for SC or Charlotte but only God knows. 

• Like 1