Charlotte Weather

42 minutes ago, Eightane said:

That's interesting, esp. since The Weather Channel's website doesn't seem to agree with that but I know data can vary or be reinterpreted.

Being in Gaston co.  and thus a bit closer to the foothills I worry less about lowland/flood plain water than some urban areas of Mecklenburg, but then again our creek ravines can be horrible floods that much easier, esp. in the north and west.

Yeah, there's different models and they don't agree yet. But it's at least within the realm of possibility, it seems.

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

When is the last time Wilmington took a direct hit? 

Fran in 1996 was the last big storm to hit and heavily damage Wilmington area beaches.

Floyd passed over in 1999 but it was just a cat 2 at landfall so it did very little damage in Wilmington. Unfortunately it later stalled over Greenville for days -- it essentially put  everything east of I-95 and north of US 70 under water.

NC has trouble with 'F' storms.

Edited by kermit

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

Fran 1996 was the last big storm to hit and heavily damage Wilmington area beaches.

Floyd passed over in 1999 but it was just a cat 2 at landfall so it did very little damage in Wilmington. Unfortunately it stalled over Greenville and flooded just about everything east of I-95 in NE NC.

Just disappeared into a Wiki hole. Fran made landfall at Cape Fear, and two months prior Hurricane Bertha made landfall just north of Wrightsville. 1996 was not a great year for the North Carolina coast. 

Per Google maps straight line calculator Raleigh is 65 miles closer to Wilmington than Charlotte is. 115 to 180.

Unless one refers to a globe it can be difficult to grasp how much closer Raleigh is to the coast and how storms from Atlantic funnel up to Carolina coast which juts out into the ocean with Raleigh as an inland target. Check a globe and see. Raleigh is 2.5 º east of Savannah though Savannah is ~10 miles from Atlantic

• Like 1

I just saw a rain fall estimate for Charlotte of only 3 inches or less but 12 inches in Raleigh Durham  it all depends where it landfalls and the direction from there.  If we are on the left side or sw side it wont be as bad for metro Charlotte but other parts of the Piedmont it will be huge rainfalls. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kermit said:

Floyd passed over in 1999 but it was just a cat 2 at landfall so it did very little damage in Wilmington. Unfortunately it later stalled over Greenville for days -- it essentially put  everything east of I-95 and north of US 70 under water.

And the same area was already saturated from Dennis, which just sat off the coast the first week of Sept, hanging out and doing loops, slinging rain onto the land.  Then Floyd made landfall Sep 16.

Dennis track and rainfall:

dennis1999filledrainwhite.gif

Interesting, quick article on what cranes do to handle strong winds (spoiler, they spin like weather vanes): https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article218145680.html

I was actually wondering about this last night so was happy to quickly find the answer.  I also imagine development professionals have advised construction crews to avoid pouring concrete?  Anyone in the construction biz know what other precautionary steps are taken when there is advanced knowledge of a strong storm?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Latest NHC rainfall forecasts show most of the heaviest of rain well east of Charlotte.   The strongest and wettest side of a hurricane is the right side. 

The latest Euro model run is insane--shows the storm pounding Wilmington, then turning around and heading for Hilton Head Island. 

Still no consensus about what happens other than it gets to the vicinity of Wilmington.

I have lived back in the QC since 1987 and this is the worst storm to hit the city since Hugo in 1989.  the widespread flooding tree damage and now even a death reported in Gaston county a 3 month baby killed when a tree fell on her home. 

Brad Panovich is reporting the NHC will undoubtedly retire the Florence name as they did with Hugo. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Sad 4

Dedicated to the indomitable Spirit of Wilmington, New Bern, Jacksonville, Washington, Fayetteville, Lumberton, Belhaven, all our historic & beautiful Tar Heel cities and towns.

Annie Tee and Bayou Cadillac (Treme) - This City Won't Wash Away ...

May 14, 2012 - Uploaded by Les Berenson MD
Annie Tee and Bayou Cadillac (Treme) - This City Won't Wash Away. ... The tune is a Steve Earle classic ...
This City
This city won't wash away
This city won't ever drown
Blood in the water and hell to pay
Sky tear open and pain rain down
Doesn't matter 'cause come what may
I ain't ever gonna leave this town
This city won't wash away
This city won't ever drown ...

Songwriters: Stephen F. (fain) Earle / Steve Earle
This City lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc
Edited by QCxpat