Charlotte Weather

• 4 weeks later...

Brad Panovich just gave his winter forecast.  It will be a weak El Nino year which means cooler to average temperatures in Charlotte but wetter and increased change of BIG snowfall.  Details will be on the WCNC forecast.   With it being wetter just one cold front meets moisture and we could have a snowstorm bigger than our normal 3-4 inches.

Just his facebook page for the winter forecast.    BUY MILK and BREAD now and freeze it! LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I used to love snow (and still do to an extent). But as of last winter, I'm kind of over it. Mostly because I had to drive to work with snow on the roads for a few days in a row. Hopefully they'll be better prepared to clear the roads this year so I can love snow again.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Everyone get your milk sandwiches ready! Possibility of some wintry weather this weekend! 

VERY long ways out on this one, but liking the potential so far.

Euro and GFS op runs and ensemble runs both look good for some wintry weather this coming weekend. NWS has already bit on putting it in their discussion, which is very early for them.

Of course I won't hold my breath until Thursday or Friday. Good winter storms are so hard to get in the South.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DH17 said:

VERY long ways out on this one, but liking the potential so far.

Euro and GFS op runs and ensemble runs both look good for some wintry weather this coming weekend. NWS has already bit on putting it in their discussion, which is very early for them.

Of course I won't hold my breath until Thursday or Friday. Good winter storms are so hard to get in the South.

Keeping an eye on this one too. Euro has teetered north and south over the past few runs. I thought this was shaping to become an I-44 storm, but this seems to be taking shape of an I-40 special. Western NC may get pounded.

At the present time, I'm not expecting much here in Knoxville. I think the temps will be too warm on this side of the Apps.

51 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I've lived in Charlotte for three decades and I've never seen it snow once in December (except last year when it peppered). I'm not holding my breath.

My daughters want to know where you were xmas 2010, hahaha?!

Also, alleged snow incidents at Charlotte airport since 2001:

Date MaxTemp MeanTemp MinTemp Events Precip
12/1/2002 45 36 27 Snow 0
12/4/2002 37 32 26 Rain-Snow 0.6
12/14/2005 34 31 28 Snow T
12/19/2007 58 45 31 Rain-Snow 0.01
12/12/2010 48 39 29 Rain-Snow 0.31
12/16/2010 48 40 31 Rain-Snow 0.13
12/18/2010 37 34 30 Rain-Snow 0.07
12/21/2010 47 39 31 Rain-Snow T
12/25/2010 42 38 33 Rain-Snow 0.25
12/26/2010 33 29 25 Snow 0.11
12/16/2016 32 28 23 Snow T
12/8/2017 44 39 34 Rain , Snow 0.78
12/9/2017 37 35 33 Rain , Snow 0.03

xmas 2010:

2010snow.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I've lived in Charlotte for three decades and I've never seen it snow once in December (except last year when it peppered). I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly only lived back in Charlotte 30+ years myself and only flurries but we have had a major ice storm in Dec.  I remember I just got back from Aruba and lost my power with 12 hours of getting home LOL  Yes that "snow storm" started Christmas night and continued into the wee hours of 12/26 but it was not a lot of snow.   Some crack pot said 3-5 inches in charlotte no way and I stand by that! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Exactly only lived back in Charlotte 30+ years myself and only flurries but we have had a major ice storm in Dec.  I remember I just got back from Aruba and lost my power with 12 hours of getting home LOL  Yes that "snow storm" started Christmas night and continued into the wee hours of 12/26 but it was not a lot of snow.   Some crack pot said 3-5 inches in charlotte no way and I stand by that! 

I leave for Aruba on Friday and now I'm really nervous :tw_confounded:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

I leave for Aruba on Friday and now I'm really nervous :tw_confounded:

When I came back the ice storm hit power went off for 30 hours and I huddled around my gas fireplace for warmth.  Just about to give up then the Christmas miracle happened, my Christmas tree lit up and power was back on! 

• Haha 2

On 12/3/2018 at 10:01 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

When I was in middle school (late 90s), i remember it snowing very hard all day on November 18th. I remember it because that is my mother's birthday. Barely any stuck though because the ground was very warm.