Charlotte Weather

As we’re having these days with lows of 62 and highs of 92,I’m wondering about temp variance in a day.

In the last 10 years:

The average difference between High Temp and Low Temp on a given day in Charlotte is 21 degrees.

The min difference was 2 degrees, on Dec 4 2003 (high 35,low 33) and Jan 17 2008 (high 34 low 32).

The max difference was 45 degrees, on Mar 12 2005 (high 75low 30).

Therehave been 21 days with a swing of 40+ degrees, with 7(!) of those dayshappening this year, and no other year having more than 3! All of thisyear’s happened Feb-Apr, with 4 of them in March alone, including 3 in a row on March 7, 8, 9!

Well how about that, the Observer has a Weather Guy:

"

Introducing: The Weather Guy

Starting today, The Observer launches a new blog, featuring Steve Lyttle, who writes about weather for The Observer. Lyttle plans to look beyond the daily forecast, discussing causes of weather conditions, long-range forecasts, and a look at weather oddities and trends around the world. You'll find it at http://obsweatherguy.blogspot.com/

"

Maybe he'll pick up some weather oddities or other discussions from here. We could be famous!

Though our high temps have still been hot, the dewpoint has been down. That means lower morning lows, and highs that don't feel as hot.

The change started about Aug 23 and got real serious Aug 30.

Here is data for this year. The three numbers are Avg High Temp, Avg Mean Dewpoint, and Avg Low Temp.

JUN: 91 - 67 - 69

JUL: 93 - 67 - 70

AUG: 90 - 69 - 71

SEP: 89 - 58 - 62

• 2 months later...

Observer Weather Guy () says: "This week's weather is the coldest air in the Charlotte area since an arctic outbreak that stretched from mid January to early February in 2009. It dropped to 9 degrees on Jan. 17 that year, and there were several morning lows in the sub-20-degree range."

For whatever reason, he must not be counting Jan 2-10 of 2010. In that span there were 7 days with highs in the 30s and 9 days with lows under 20.

ANYWAY, as for December cold, here are the number of December days with high temps not reaching 40:

2001 = 0

2002 = 2

2003 = 2

2004 = 3

2005 = 3

2006 = 1

2007 = 0

2008 = 1

2009 = 2

2010 = 3 already, and it looks like more to come on Mon and possibly Tue. Let's hope we get back closer to normal after that. Normal high for this time of year is 55, normal low is 36.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, CLT and the southern Piedmont/southern Foothills have been in a profound snow drought relative to the rest of the state and the Mid Atlantic for several years. Whereas RDU and the Triad have had some pretty snowy years in the last three years, CLT has been left out. Not only has CLT been warmer during the storms which has cut down on accumulations, it has received less precip than RDU and the Triad. The RDU area is blessed with a more Mid-Atlantic geographic location as well as a more northern location, which allows it to tap into Noreasters and have colder temps to support snow. The Triad benefits from a colder climate that often features all snow while CLT is still getting mere rain or sleet. Both RDU and Triad have had at least over 8 inches of snow this December alone.

Edited by DCMetroRaleigh
  • Like 1

Yeah, there were a lot of factors working against Charlotte this time around. There was a band of moisture (mostly snow) that set up in the foothills and NW Piedmont early Christmas day. This band stayed put almost all day and never really drifted SE toward the metro, allowing the temperature to rise into the 40's. By the time the moisture did make it into the area, it was warm enough for rain. The storm eventually gained strength over the Atlantic, but by this time the system was too far to the east to affect places this far inland. There definitely seems to be a pattern of storms quickly gaining strength over the Atlantic, giving places like Raleigh and the 95 corridor lots of snow. Oh well, there's still a whole winter season ahead so maybe Mother Nature can balance things out!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove around yesterday and this AM. Definitely more dicey today. I purposely sat down the stairs on my porch this morning . The steps and driveway were sheer ice . Then I all foured it to my car. Looked ridonculous but would rather crawl along over ice than fall down.

Had to get to the bank today. The BOA on East was closed when I went by so I headed to the one in Myers Park on Providence. It was open but my cars front wheels got stuck in the ice. Spun but no dice. One of the bank employees nicely sprayed salt to traction. Then a nice guy, complete stranger helped push my Civic as I hit reverse and i got moving again.

Its improved marginally this aft. Main roads are decent but I slided around Dilworth side streets a bit. Walk slowly and carefully!

• 4 months later...

Well this seems to be a repeat of last year. A cold winter followed by almost instant heat. It IS still spring out there but it feels too much like summer already. Can't we just have a span of nice (normal) weather? I know, it's all relative!

Well this seems to be a repeat of last year. A cold winter followed by almost instant heat. It IS still spring out there but it feels too much like summer already. Can't we just have a span of nice (normal) weather? I know, it's all relative!

As a native NCer, rest assured this is pretty typical of Charlotte weather. For some reason I still am never ready for it though. AS June-Sept unfold the only way to get relief is to go to the mountains.

Charlotte gets the extreme temperatures or just wacky weather, from extremely cold winters by our standards and actually have spring like temperature for a few weeks and jump straight to summer by May. I think it's quite unique but yet annoying, a few Decembers ago when I still in undergrad, it reached into the upper 60s in early December!