Charlotte Weather

Map of damage from the tornado Wed evening: 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1hyhdaH-qBFF98KQysnH3LC3f6OA&ll=35.136767078028846%2C-80.8976729006958&z=14

Official preliminary confirmation is EF-1 with max width of 150 yards, 2.18 miles long, and max 90mph winds.  I don't have a map of the 2.18 official miles, but all that damage on the map above that is west of I-77 is about 2.5 miles.

• 1 month later...

We are due.  Last year all we had was a dusting with about 3/4" of sleet on top.  It was prime for sledding down the roads though! I live next to a short hill that has about a 20% grade and it was WILD sledding down with my daughter. 

I hate snow (I moved here from PA to get away from the cold) but I have zero issues with 3" on a Friday night.  As long as the beer fridge is full, school isn't cancelled and I don't have to go to work, I'm OK with a little bit.

• Like 1

Totally agree with InSouthPark!  I moved here from PA years ago and was glad to leave the snow behind.  I just don't like the fact that it is going to be single digit temperatures or in the very low teens for several nights.  That only means possible black ice for each consecutive morning.

But the Weather Channel's 15 day forecast has us back to 40's at night and 50's during the day as we head into mid-January.  That's more like it!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The scary thing is that weather like this can seriously disturb harvest patterns and cause crops to fail. For example, I'm from Florida and every few years it's in the news that citrus farmers are sweating bullets because orange trees and strawberry farms start to produce early due to abnormally warm weather. Then a last, late cold snap comes through and kills everything that has begun to grow. Crops significantly reduced and prices for what was salvageable go up. If winters like this start to happen every year then expect to see the number of hungry people to skyrocket until a solution is discovered. Really quite disturbing if you stop to think about it.

37 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

The scary thing is that weather like this can seriously disturb harvest patterns and cause crops to fail. For example, I'm from Florida and every few years it's in the news that citrus farmers are sweating bullets because orange trees and strawberry farms start to produce early due to abnormally warm weather. Then a last, late cold snap comes through and kills everything that has begun to grow. Crops significantly reduced and prices for what was salvageable go up. If winters like this start to happen every year then expect to see the number of hungry people to skyrocket until a solution is discovered. Really quite disturbing if you stop to think about it.

It will likely all smooth out due to this weather pattern. Crops sourced in the Southeast might spike in price (particularly Florida), but crops sourced in the west (particularly California) will drop in price as this weather patterns has resulted in a very wet West Coast this winter and warm Southeast. The West will have adequate water supply to ramp back up to more efficient production and increase supply. So net - net the cost of a basket of produce will probably even out. More expensive oranges from Florida but cheaper lettuce/nuts/veggies, etc... from California.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, grodney said:

Number of 65+ degree days in February:

2001 7
2002 4
2003 2
2004 0
2005 4
2006 4
2007 3
2008 10
2009 8
2010 1
2011 9
2012 8
2013 3
2014 8
2015 2
2016 7
2017 13 so far....maybe 6 more to come!

To follow-up on this, we finished at 18 days of 65+ in February.

I assume our very mild winter is tied to the la nina that is responsible for all of the rain in CA.  Whatever the reason, it has been awesome.  I'm not necessarily a climate change skeptic but I do believe weather is cyclical and the human impact is overblown.  I am skeptical of the dire predictions regarding the future.    

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JBS said:

I assume our very mild winter is tied to the la nina that is responsible for all of the rain in CA.  Whatever the reason, it has been awesome.  I'm not necessarily a climate change skeptic but I do believe weather is cyclical and the human impact is overblown.  I am skeptical of the dire predictions regarding the future.    

To that point. Look st the years for the other hottest February's 

IMG_5558.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, CarolinaCrown said:

Straight line winds... Tornadic would imply a rotating wind profile actually touched down, and could be tracked via it's debris field.  #Themoreyouknow

I get it. It was just my way of describing a freaking-scary wind.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why this popped up on my facebook feed today but it is worthy to remember Hurricane Hugo that devastated Charleston but also did a lot of damage here in Charlotte. 80,000 trees gone in one fell swoop. I lived near SouthPark mall and was able to drive my little Nissan Sentra across town to the University area even though the trunk was crushed by a fallen limb. Had to take interstates as most local roads were blocked.  My parents house did not have electricity for 2 weeks. I believe Uptown and right at the mall no power was even lost. Words to the wise: if you see a strong hurricane coming towards Charleston or Myrtle head on prepare here. Gas up your vehicle and get cash out of ATM. I did both and was glad I did..  http://www.wcnc.com/weather/hurricane-central/remember-hurricane-hugo-charlottes-wake-up-call/449243465   My parents had a gas grill which we cooked as much meat as we could the first few days. A marina at Lake Norman had piles of boats on top of each other. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an observation this is my 9th straight day of rain at my suburban home. Living in this south Florida like weather has its advantages and disadvantages. My grass looks like an untamed jungle but thank goodness I live outside of the HOA dominion. 

• Like 2