Charlotte Weather

• 1 month later...

Some of the best lightning bolts I have seen in a while. I was driving south from downtown around 9:45pm and had to pull over the rain was so hard. Now I am home and they are saying there is a tornado watch in York County although the rain seems to have tapered off. Looking at the radar it appears that round 2 is about an hour away though....

• 2 weeks later...

The National Weather Service has issued a code orange air quality advisory for today for the Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh/Durham metros. This is awfully early in the year to be seeing code orange days since the summer heat is not present to help fuel these type of bad air days. Its pretty deceiving since its such a nice, clear day out.

This is awfully early in the year to be seeing code orange days since the summer heat is not present to help fuel these type of bad air days. Its pretty deceiving since its such a nice, clear day out.

It is early to be seeing a Code Orange Day in all 3 metros. But the EPA has lowered the standard on what constitutes a code orange day this year and so we will be seeing a lot more of them (and all the other colors). So while the raw numbers on the air pollution havn't changed much from last year....the color coded scheme the EPA uses to measure the effects on humans has changed.

^Ahh....I was getting worried because I couldn't remember if we had ever had code orange in April. I guess it was a good idea to lower the standards somewhat, as it may bring more attention to the problem. Of course if we're hitting orange levels now, I'm afraid of what the summer months will bring. Hopefully we will have more rain this summer to help keep the ozone levels down, but summer rains are usually wishful thinking.

Some mean storms to the NW of Charlotte right now. Tornado Warning north of Shelby and in Lincoln Co. Mostly moving away from the metro area. However, those storms coming up from SC could get severe! Watch out Charlotte!

Most of the bad storms so far have missed charlotte. But areas just north of Shelby were not so lucky. Trees down, damage to a house, and several barns in Cleveland Co.!

Edited by RaleighHeelsfan

I was helping my folks out in Concord with a garage sale and yard work today. There was some pretty nasty hail and lightning in the late afternoon. My dog will pick fights with dogs ten times his size but he was curled up under the table shaking during this storm. I didn't see a lot of flooding, but power was out in a lot of Concord on my drive back into UCity a little while ago.

OK, I was busted!!! LOL

Honestly, I knew you guys would be smart enough to check the webcam but all kidding aside, the last 2 nights here have been quite a thrill with the hail, wind and vivid lightning.

RalHeelsfan, sorry to get you prematurely WOW. I was gonna PM you but it was too late. :)

Nice picture nonetheless.

Another note about the storm in Concord, I went to visit some friends further north of my parents tonight. They had a 2ft diameter tree fall over in their backyard. The part that broke off was so long that it reached two lots over. Thankfully it didn't hit any of the houses around.

Seems like the last few weeks have provided enough rainfall that our water-woes may almost be up.

My wife and I were having dinner and got caught up in the extremely heavy storm that hit Concord on Saturday evening. I took a picture of the hail from the restaurants window, notice the accumulation on the table outside.

2449257614_fc74ccd8fe.jpg

We noticed several trees (some large) down around Concord while driving around yesterday and the power in our neighborhood was out for a good four hours.

• 1 month later...
:( Jeez....June gets here and the heat gets turned on right away! I hope this heat wave is not a harbinger of the whole summer ahead of us. Last year we did not have to deal with this until much later it seemed. My mom mentioned today that her dog walker on Hilton Head is wearing a "cool collar", bought it at a tennis store. I may have to get one soon for my dog route.

:( Jeez....June gets here and the heat gets turned on right away! I hope this heat wave is not a harbinger of the whole summer ahead of us. Last year we did not have to deal with this until much later it seemed. My mom mentioned today that her dog walker on Hilton Head is wearing a "cool collar", bought it at a tennis store. I may have to get one soon for my dog route.

I hear that. I told someone else today that if the next three and a half months are like this, I'm moving to Canada.

After plugging back in all my appliances and electronics looks like a "round 2" is rolling in. Distant thunder and flashes of light through the trees.......so purrrrdy!!! These storms tonight are coming in from the southeast too, which is not a common direction for storms to entry Charlotte. But when they do come in from the SE, they really seem to be more potent. My guess is that they can build pretty rapidly over the flat eastern plains, and since there are no obstructions (like mountains), they hold together better and gain strength. Just my little guess but seems common sense. Oops! There goes a boomer! Anyway, found this rainbow on the Garrison Lofts webcam.

rainbow.jpg

After plugging back in all my appliances and electronics looks like a "round 2" is rolling in. Distant thunder and flashes of light through the trees.......so purrrrdy!!! These storms tonight are coming in from the southeast too, which is not a common direction for storms to entry Charlotte. But when they do come in from the SE, they really seem to be more potent. My guess is that they can build pretty rapidly over the flat eastern plains, and since there are no obstructions (like mountains), they hold together better and gain strength. Just my little guess but seems common sense. Oops! There goes a boomer! Anyway, found this rainbow on the Garrison Lofts webcam.

rainbow.jpg

That is a sweet picture of the Charlotte skyline with the rainbow!

How much rain has the area received?

How much rain has the area received?

Here in the P-M we got a decent shower but not nearly as much as many parts of the city. Not to sound like I'm whining but I watch this stuff pretty carefully and the last month or so our neighborhood seems to miss out on rain showers and thunderstorms that hit other areas of town. Boo hoo. :(

The last few storms before last night also missed my part or town (Arboretum area) but last night made up for that. This morning when I left for work I was amazed at all the downed tree limbs. I don't know how much rain we got here but there was a fair amount of steady rain for several hours.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the entire city got in on the act today as opposed to the spotty storms we have had the last 4 days. Down in south Charlotte, it was quite nasty especially around 5:40pm. It wasn't long after I was hearing the sound of fire truck sirens. The good thing is the sustained rainfall. Where I live, it started raining at 5:10pm and continued solid until around 7:30pm. I'm very thankful for that!