Charlotte Weather

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

You scoff at the idea of more trees, but there was a story in The Observer several years ago that tracked average temperatures within the city. It found that, on average, Myers Park was five degrees cooler than the rest of the city due to the foliage.

My electric bills are lower at my house on with a heavily wooded backyard that blocks the summer sun than a small condo I own at the beach with no shade.  Yes trees do lower temperatures for sure.   Not to mention the CO2 they produce.   We need a tree canopy in this city and need to work to keep it up replanting when old trees fall  or die. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

You scoff at the idea of more trees, but there was a story in The Observer several years ago that tracked average temperatures within the city. It found that, on average, Myers Park was five degrees cooler than the rest of the city due to the foliage.

Not scoffing at all.  The trees I planted are just too small to provide much shade at this point.  No doubt trees can provide their own little microclimate when there are enough of them.  Luckily we got some rain today, so a welcome break from the dry spell!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, grodney said:

We might have a high in the 60s today.  In the last 20 years, I only have record of 2 days in June with a high in the 60s......so this will be quite rare if we do stay under 70.

All the heat is in California this week. Records falling all over the place out there.

• 2 weeks later...

We all joke about the power lines in all the photos we take off the new developments. But seriously, this is why power lines need to be buried. Not for aesthetics, but weather. We have way too many weather events through every season not to. You can't tell me that this right here, fixing lines multiple times a year, year after year, with all the overtime and fixins is cheaper than just putting them underground. Screenshot_20190623-044732_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1a50c60e9cc323c726c2e5cee36185b9.jpg

I also might be a little biased cause I've had little sleep over the last 72 hours and my wife and kids are home still without power. Guess I'll be cranking the generator when I get home in the morning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

. . .this is why power lines need to be buried. Not for aesthetics, but weather. We have way too many weather events through every season not to. You can't tell me that this right here, fixing lines multiple times a year, year after year, with all the overtime and fixins is cheaper than just putting them underground. 

If only Duke shareholders rate payers didn't have to foot the bill for $10,000,000,000 (that's $10 billion or $10,000 million) in coal ash cleanup, maybe they'd have the money to bury the lines. Count the peeves in that last sentence. I think burying the lines would be a capital expense. I'm not sure where fixing them when they fail is accounted for but through creative accounting and a somewhat compliant rate board, I'm confident over the long term, it's a win for Duke (heads they win, tails you lose).

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, A2. said:

Just remember, When life gets too hot! Banner Elk is less than a two and half hour drive away. Ain’t it amazing that we live in such a great state!

70’s in the middle of the summer !!!! Can you say awesome!

:tw_blush::tw_heart:

I camped in Pisgah outside of Brevard at 3200' two weekends ago and needed a fire to take the chill off at night.  At 3pm, it was 70 degrees at my campsite (according to my car thermometer vs the 84 it was at Sierra Nevada just 10 miles away).   

Pisgah is just amazing in the summer.

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 3

Change in temperature due to elevation is 3.5-3.7º F per 1000 feet change. Sources vary but this is the standard range. This is sometimes called the "lapse rate". A 3,000 foot rise=drop in temperature of  ~11º just for altitude. Increase temperature with descent. This is with all other conditions stable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't around for Hugo but man that ice storm sucked. We didn't have power for almost THREE weeks. And I was in Columbia during the floods of 2015 caused by hurricane joaquin. Half the city was cut off from other places. More than half didn't have water and even more lost power. Not having water was new and that was awful. USC students had to use portapottys for over a week. Anytime stuff is getting crazy with weather, I prepare. 

Batteries, lights, gas, generator, nonperishables, and cash.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, Cadi40 said:

Just curious, can anyone who lived here during Hugo tell me what it was like? Recently I’ve been really interested as it’s one of the larger weather events to strike Charlotte. 

Since the storm was at night, there wasn’t much to see. We sat up and listened to the wind howling over the sound of the radio broadcast. They kept reminding people not to go outside during the eye of the storm and a few stations actually went down during the worst part of the storm. When we emerged the next day  it was pure insanity. Up on Independence, there was a gas station beside what is now Papa Johns that had its cover blown out into the road completely blocking the Eastbound side. 

There were a dozen trees down in our yard and school was canceled for 2 weeks, but most of us kids didn’t mind. We just met up every day and made sweet forts all over the neighborhood. 

Chainsaws were singing a song pretty much everywhere you went, all day every day. A few of our neighbors actually got injured in the cleanup efforts. A guy 2 houses down from us had a tree laying over on his roof so he walked up the trunk and started cutting. Once he had cut the top off, the trunk stood back up and catapulted him ragdoll-style down an embankment. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Miss Dorian the hurricane did some remodeling of the Outer Banks so to speak.  Bigger inlets, overwash areas, barriers that shrunk.  Some beaches near Wilmington actually grew in size with more sand.

Before and after photos

https://www.mooresvilletribune.com/news/trending/photos-satellite-aerial-images-of-n-c-before-and-after/collection_b1b071c7-93de-5aa4-9912-e0ac29ce3d08.html#40

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 years ago I was awake all night here in Charlotte as Hurricane Hugo was hitting.  My memories are above.   Bad times for Charlotte.   Landfalled north of Charleston and barreled right into the piedmont and eye went over the Charlotte area as a Cat 1 landfilled as Cat 4.   Thank God it was moving fast that night. 

Brad Panovich tweeted out the image.

EFB06DZXsAIDY7t?format=jpg%26name=900x900&key=3f7de79f9d5461d03cbaac0033468c8df0105a9731a11627ecfcfb1abffa4c8e

Hugoimage.thumb.jpg.7c1b1c20add240857222528f33a4b44a.jpg&key=7b1390581f6f18caa9080e2ff9331754e2ef046125e6f5daac15c9f3db357573

slept through the whole damn thing, been chasing storms ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw this mentioned on the news tonight so I watched it about Hugo.  A WSOCTV report on how it was reported Hugo.  It was a shared experience of everyone in Charlotte at the time rich and poor, black and white, northside southside. Lets hope this was a once in 100 year event and never seen again in my lifetime.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/must-watch-wsoc-tv-legends-reflect-on-hurricane-hugo/834209009

WBTV remembers

https://www.wbtv.com/video/2019/09/20/hurricane-hugo-th-anniversary-special-preview/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I just saw this mentioned on the news tonight so I watched it about Hugo.  A WSOCTV report on how it was reported Hugo.  It was a shared experience of everyone in Charlotte at the time rich and poor, black and white, northside southside. Lets hope this was a once in 100 year event and never seen again in my lifetime.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/must-watch-wsoc-tv-legends-reflect-on-hurricane-hugo/834209009

WBTV remembers

https://www.wbtv.com/video/2019/09/20/hurricane-hugo-th-anniversary-special-preview/

My wife still talks about it. Said she was without power for eight days. I grew up in the Hurricane State - Florida, and I was never without power for more than four days.

• Like 1