Charlotte Weather

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

What is fall? Charlotte seasons are hot with pollen, hot with humidity, hot and dry, and then somewhat cold with no snow.

Charlotte will reach peak fall color like it always does around Halloween and I am betting cooler weather will come in a few weeks.  To be honest we have 3 seasons here spring, summer, fall and a few days of winter.  

• Like 2

This is true:

5 hours ago, southslider said:

Fall colors seem to creep deeper into November with each year.

I noticed at my home where I lived for 40 years that the final time for raking leaves had advanced a week or so deeper into near winter from my early memory until the latest ones. From the last weekend in November to the first weekend of December. The tasks at the end of the season of preparing the machinery for winter storage, putting away tools and such were fixed in my memory as it took nearly a day, or a weekend, to accomplish all of it. My micro-environment changed little as the major trees that affected me remained healthy throughout the period. A tiny data point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte will reach peak fall color like it always does around Halloween and I am betting cooler weather will come in a few weeks.  To be honest we have 3 seasons here spring, summer, fall and a few days of winter.  

That's exactly what I tell people who ask me what the weather is like. We don't have winter, we have a few winter days. The rest is a long  fall/spring. 

I grew up in northern Wisconsin. They have winter.

• Like 1

Here in northern Gaston it's been just as hot but even drier, I think we missed out the last time there was a rain event. Lawns are about as dead as they get, and I'd sell my left leg for a good healthy dousing.

I guess we all knew last year/this year's wet period had to end sometime or another.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eightane said:

Here in northern Gaston it's been just as hot but even drier, I think we missed out the last time there was a rain event. Lawns are about as dead as they get, and I'd sell my left leg for a good healthy dousing.

I guess we all knew last year/this year's wet period had to end sometime or another.

I'm in Southeast Gaston County, and the water levels on the lakes are REALLY low.  I am trying to save water from the shower to warm up to use on some of the plants outside.  Luckily, I have bermuda grass in my yard, so I'm not so concerned that it will go by the wayside.  But I still toss some water on it when I get a chance.  I guess I'll do it from time to time until we have a restriction.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 4:01 PM, KJHburg said:

That’s what the mountains are for, lol. You want winter,  head for higher ground  my friend. 

As hot as it’s been all summer, Banner Elk has only had a handful of 80 degree days. I don’t think Beech, Sugar, Grandfather, or Mitchell have even seen the mercury out of the 70’s all summer. That’s the beautiful thing about NC. Awesome cities, beautiful Beaches, and the Highest peaks in Eastern North America! 

Oh to be in Carolina!!! :rolleyes:

http://averyweather.com/Archive/Beech+Mountain

^Hottest temp I could find all summer was last month at 76 a mile up on Beech. Considering that, I would bargain to say our 6000’+ peaks stayed comfortable in the 60’s all summer as they are that much higher up. Not to bad considering all the heat everywhere else this summer. 

A2

Edited by A2.
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, A2. said:

That’s what the mountains are for, lol. You want winter,  head for higher ground  my friend. 

As hot as it’s been all summer, Banner Elk has only had a handful of 80 degree days. I don’t think Beech, Sugar, Grandfather, or Mitchell have even seen the mercury out of the 70’s all summer. That’s the beautiful thing about NC. Awesome cities, beautiful Beaches, and the Highest peaks in Eastern North America! 

Oh to be in Carolina!!! :rolleyes:

http://averyweather.com/Archive/Beech+Mountain

^Hottest temp I could find all summer was last month at 76 a mile up on Beech. Considering that, I would bargain to say our 6000’+ peaks stayed comfortable in the 60’s all summer as they are that much higher up. Not to bad considering all the heat everywhere else this summer. 

A2

Hiked Art Loeb over the 4th of July long weekend and it was refreshing to be in a hoodie and pants every night.

Summers down here really make me miss my years living in the mountains.

Edited by a2theb
  • Like 2

Beautiful hike a2theb! I just finished the Grandfather trail a few weeks back, wore me out, but I was in a sweatshirt for the first half (until I worked up a sweat due to the challenging hike, and not the heat). I think it was in the mid fifties when I started and topped out around 68 when I completed it at the swinging bridge. That was in late August, so it’s quite refreshing to “elevate your game!”

I’m somewhat spoiled as I live above 5000’ nowadays. The only negative for me is winter. But it’s ok since the other 6-8 months are worth it when it’s hotter than hades off the mountain.  :) 

A2

Yesterday, October 2nd, had a high temperature of 99 degrees making it hottest day ever recorded in October and also the hottest day of the year. Today was much more pleasant with an official high of 98.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/weather/record-breaking-heat-grips-the-charlotte-area-in-october/275-5af836b6-dfe8-4262-a0dd-5c70aa93ae37

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

In Fort Worth last night Dallas tonight but my hotel in north Dallas  is closed due to loss of power. It was about 1/2 mile from the F2 F3 tornado's path across the heavily populated north Dallas area .

Lesson for Charlotte:  big cities are not immune to tornadoes and with our suburbs spreading out and heat islands that develop over the cities this kind of damage can happen.  

The area hit in Dallas would be like hitting south Charlotte around SouthPark mall and the path was 17 miles long 

Here are 2 photos from I-35 E in Dallas of a new tilt up warehouse under construction and what is left of it.   This particular tornado went across 3 interstates and 1 toll highway. 

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5694.JPG

• Sad 3

I still lived near Nashville when an F3 swept through downtown and across East Nashville neighborhoods. There was damage to the state capital building, and one person was killed in the park adjacent to the capital (Bicentennial Mall). The best equivalency I can give to Charlotte would be Uptown and Plaza-Midwood, with P-M taking the brunt of the damage.

image.png.784fd35daa0bd2effa8b08ba5039c111.png

https://www.tennessean.com/picture-gallery/news/2018/04/10/tornadoes-strike-downtown-nashville-in-1998/33701763/

• Sad 1