Charlotte Weather

26 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I still lived near Nashville when an F3 swept through downtown and across East Nashville neighborhoods. There was damage to the state capital building, and one person was killed in the park adjacent to the capital (Bicentennial Mall). The best equivalency I can give to Charlotte would be Uptown and Plaza-Midwood, with P-M taking the brunt of the damage.

https://www.tennessean.com/picture-gallery/news/2018/04/10/tornadoes-strike-downtown-nashville-in-1998/33701763/

I went to Nashville right after that for the very first time.  and the state Capitol had plywood on the windows.  as the cities in the south have gotten bigger and bigger they are more in the path of tornadoes.   Tornadoes have to be taken seriously even in Charlotte and the region.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

this happened in Charlotte though nothing on the scale of what happened in the big A.  My friends in Cobb County had their son abandon the school bus after 4 hour ride and walked the rest of the way home with his big brother.

#ThisDayInGAHistory in 2014 A snow and ice storm, aka Snowpocalypse, crossed most of Georgia. The storm caused massive traffic jams, particularly in and around Atlanta. Many motorists became stranded in their vehicles and many children had to spend the night at their schools

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-buford-calloway/n45830   this remains one of the funniest skits on SNL ever!  it speaks to my southern soul. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

this happened in Charlotte though nothing on the scale of what happened in the big A.  My friends in Cobb County had their son abandon the school bus after 4 hour ride and walked the rest of the way home with his big brother.

#ThisDayInGAHistory in 2014 A snow and ice storm, aka Snowpocalypse, crossed most of Georgia. The storm caused massive traffic jams, particularly in and around Atlanta. Many motorists became stranded in their vehicles and many children had to spend the night at their schools

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-buford-calloway/n45830   this remains one of the funniest skits on SNL ever!  it speaks to my southern soul. 

Many conversations in our house, to this day, begin with "ohhh setherly!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Enjoyed the 2014 storm, great time to live in Southend it was like adult snow day parties all week long.  Also my rescue pup who I've had since March 2014 was found by a lady who volunteered at North Meck Animal Rescue when he was out in wild with no tags up in Concord during those snow storms.  

Fond memories of that week :) 

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Tornado Warnings...Be careful people.  Hope the cranes Uptown are set accordingly for the wind.

the cranes I saw in Southend were all idle at Lowes Tech tower and the new one at the Square. 

flooding is our main problem right now.  Turn around don't drown is not just a catchy saying it is the truth.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from Brad Panovich and his twitter feed

According to this it started very near my new office (sadly not commuting to Uptown on the train for now). NOAA says it was fully contained in NC and I get that both of these maps are rough estimates of where it began. Still near enough to be sobering. Regardless, it was crazy out there and the site was without power on Thursday and Friday.

image.thumb.png.7b2a4a9350213bb4bc84aa9944a1a1bd.png

• Like 2