Charlotte Weather

I actually left for Boone on 321 at around 2:30 PM yesterday, right when the snow was at its heaviest. I stayed under flurries or bursts of thicker flakes basically all the way until the Big Climb begins at Kirby Mtn. Road, then they tapered off, but picked up again in Blowing Rock. About an inch or so stuck to the ground in Watauga but basically nowhere before there. Roads were all fine and barely wet.

Ah well, it was pretty at least.

IMG_20200208_174715168.jpg

IMG_20200208_174757890.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

All of these plants are going to get toasted by a hard freeze. 

Probably coming as soon as tomorrow night.

Keep an eye on late next week too, trend is colder and wet. Probably a cold rain, but good chance another deep freeze late in the 3rd week of the month which will hold off spring (and pollen) for a little while at least.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Look at this from Nashville and the surrounding areas from their F3 tornado that may have been on the ground for 50 miles.  TN is the most prone to tornados at night state in the country.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8074721/Terrifying-moment-man-gets-stuck-crane-Nashville-tornado-swirls-nearby.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8072107/Tennessee-tornado-death-toll-rises-25-including-children.html

I am glad tornados are rarer here and usually not as long lasting or strong.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Looks like this hurricane may landfall in southern Brunswick Co NC as a cat 1 now up 85 mph winds.  Heading to mid Atlantic and NYC and New England where it seems it will join a front and cause widespread wind and heavy rain up there.  Just watched Brad Panovich's special.  Prayers for my friends in SE North Carolina down in Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and Pender counties.   Good thing I guess is this storm is moving fast. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

first time I have seen the Charlotte area in tropical storm warning but this hurricane Zeta is moving fast and faster than they thought. 

Photos from New Orleans and Biloxi Monday which are getting lashed right now.   Beautiful weather before the storm and from the weather reports I saw down there quick clearing too. 

(lowest elevation I recorded was 8 feet below sea level in New Orleans near Lake Pontchartrain via my elevation app) 

IMG_7223.JPG

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7478.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

the incredible flooding today in Charlotte I have not seen here since TS Danny back in 1997.  4.6 inches of rain in quick time frame can many places to flood that usually do not.  I have never seen the interstates blocked here in Charlotte due to flooding have seen that in Atlanta before but not here.

Now you can see how a huge amount of rain falling can cause flooding.  Harvey dumped 44 inches on Houston and I have said there is not a single city in the country that could take that kind of rainfall.   Look what this 4.6 inches did to Charlotte today.  Saw lots of photos on twitter and people have some they should post them.  I live on a hill and not near any creeks so it all runs off my property. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised some corporate entity doesn’t want to sponsor a new radar system with the city. They love putting their names on sports arenas etc... free name calls every night on the tv “tonight’s weather brought to you by channel blah blah and the new BoA Doppler Weather Forecaster 9000!”

Wouldn’t a modern radar system also benefit CLT?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Surprised some corporate entity doesn’t want to sponsor a new radar system with the city. They love putting their names on sports arenas etc... free name calls every night on the tv “tonight’s weather brought to you by channel blah blah and the new BoA Doppler Weather Forecaster 9000!”

Wouldn’t a modern radar system also benefit CLT?

These aren't local tv station radars.  Back in the 90's when they put the current ones in, the cost was 3.1b for 121 of them.  That's about $27m each.   Probably safe to say they are closer to $100m now.   Plus these are all run by the national weather service and used for large areas, not cities.  Not sure the US government would be allowing naming rights. haha

Years ago I had a friend who lived with his family on property off Reames Road. He was a horticultural supplier. It would now back onto NorthPark Mall though that was unimagined at the time. The Charlotte airport wanted to put a doppler radar tower on his property as it was the highest elevation in the scope of flight operations. Previous to this he was quite aware of his situation as his home had numerous lightning strikes and damage due to the location. They had learned to throw the ALL-OFF switch prior to a storm arriving. The remuneration was considered adequate but the regular maintenance access and unknown potential for future enlargement plus the reduction in future property value made  him refuse the deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

while we have had cold rainy weather an F3 tornado hit Brunswick County in the SE corner of the state.  this is worst tornado in 15 years in NC and killed 3 people.  It travelled 22 miles which is a long way especially in NC tornado history.  Tragic  look at this brick home wiped away to the crawl space.  I was down in Charleston and they had some lightning and strong T storms that night but nothing approached this. 

Deadly tornado carved 22-mile path of destruction in NC | Raleigh News & Observer

Brunswick County tornado path released by National Weather Service (starnewsonline.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Seasonal snow so far this winter season:  

from ABC11 in Raleigh Durham and for Charlotte a big fat ZERO

Seasonal snow totals for cities along I-40: 
Raleigh/Durham: 1.6” 
Nashville, TN: 5.4”
Memphis, TN: 10.3”
Oklahoma City, OK: 22.5”

I think Charlotte technically had 0.30"of snow. That's still nothing though!

• Haha 1