Charlotte Weather

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the remains of TS Fred are upon us and according to Brad Panovich big storms yet come through Charlotte later this evening.  He even pulled out his cupcake message which believe it or not simplifies it for many the difference between a watch and a warning.

Watch ingredients for a tornado.    Warning means there is one in the area! 

See the source image

• Like 2

I have to say, as a resident of Gastonia who works in Stanley and had to drive home through the final squall line, this was no joke, no matter how paltry totals were in the central and eastern QC metro. I have NEVER driven through rain that hard in my life, and I've been in 6-hour downpours in the mountains that registered double-digit inch totals. I couldn't see two feet in front of my windshield at any time.

If we were abnormally dry in any way before, we sure aren't now.  :tw_lol:

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Look at these rain totals esp. in the mountains from TS Fred

May be an image of map and text that says '631.85 35 6.01 5.19 1.69 82 2.69 1.43 SLICK Hurricane Frances Precipitation (800 AM Monday 9/6 through 800 AM Thursday 9/9) Preliminary updated 2004/10.08 Total Precipitation less than inches Total Precipitation of inches Total Precipitation to nches Total Precipitation inches Total Precipitation of inches Total Precipitation of inches or more Precipitation amounts reported inches. Analysis based on observed rainfall and adar estimates 2 2 Data analysis- Gail Hartfield & Mike Strickler Graphic Jonathan Blaes NWS Raleigh, NC www.erh.noaa.gov.rah'

And just like I heard Brad Panovich say the other night, this is all going to flow downhill, so be prepared for the Catawba and South Fork to rise over the next several days!  Stay safe!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

And just like I heard Brad Panovich say the other night, this is all going to flow downhill, so be prepared for the Catawba and South Fork to rise over the next several days!  Stay safe!!

If there's one saving grace for us (which sadly doesn't help those in the mountains and what they're dealing with) it's that the Eastern Continental Divide which runs all down the Blue Ridge divides up the watersheds. About everything in the light pink there and west will flow towards the Mississippi, not our local rivers. Everything east of there though will definitely have to make its way down the Yadkin, Catawba, Broad rivers etc.

Also it's odd that the text in that rain total map says Hurricane Frances, and the wrong year as well.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly this is a national emergency that a city and most of the metro area has no power and is cut off.  Watch this report from local New Orleans tv.   I guess I wont be stopping for lunch in New Orleans when I pass through in a few weeks.  This is a terrible situation for the city and its suburbs. 

An island without power: Why a massive Entergy transmission tower crumbled and all 8 sources of outside power were lost | wcnc.com

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...