Charlotte Weather

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I dunno, they were here before I was. Could be though. 

I'd imagine they are. My yard and most of neighborhood have the traditional azaleas that bloom in the spring, and none of them are even budding now. My 15-foot-tall camellia, though... that thing's covered in buds right now.

• 3 months later...

Note: For those with gas logs it is very likely that they can be operated manually if necessary. Even if the battery remote and receiver are inoperable there is a way to light pilot by lighter or match. Refer to your manual. Check your CO detector and smoke alarm now.

My set has a four hour time limiter for safety so in such an occasion relighting would be necessary. ALL heat will go to the second level in this situation so if there is a second level in the home that is the place for the warmth. My unit is a replacement for the original with my condo and produces 18,000 btu.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Same. I had power while all around me had none for two days, an artifact of line origin, and location, and luck. Then on Saturday after two lucky days power off as Duke de-energized lines to make repairs. For two days it was fireplace for warmth with steady firewood supply. Fortunately my Dilworth home had been built without central heat (added some years after) and each room a had fireplace and doors to limit heat loss from each room. Still, going in and out to wood pile was an obvious heat loss. Everyone within a block of me had decamped to second home, hotel or friends and acquaintances with electricity. Looting would have been an easy thing yet nothing happened. We had a vacant condo in SouthPark area with electricity and went there for showers and laundry but due to no furniture we slept in our house. Biggest problem? At 5:30 it was dark. No reading, no television, phones then had no bandwidth for video, just...sit by the fire and think of Daniel Boone and A. Lincoln. Two days later, power on. Gave a full understanding of the word "power". Do you have power?  I have power.

We had almost identical experiences.  I was living on Chambwood behind Van Landingham in P-M.  That night I could hear big branches splitting off the trees and crashing around.  I was awakened about 3A by a huge crash and went to the living room to see about 6’ worth of a huge dagger-like branch coming through the ceiling.  Chambwood is a small crescent shaped street and my house was the only one on the street to keep power.  I had orange extension cords running to a few neighbors and had friends stay with me who lost power, even with the giant tree  branch hanging through the ceiling.  I’ve never experienced anything like that before or since.  Surreal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Charlotte may have escaped most of the worst especially with power outages and freezing rain.   Charlotte has about 1000 outages according to Duke Energy but small Fuquay Varina in southern Wake County with 35,000 people has about 4000 plus outages.  They are getting more freezing rain there.  I only have had so far heavy sleet so much it slides off my steep roof and piles up including right in front of my garage doors.    Sleet is better than freezing rain.  Snow is better than all of them.  Only 1.5 inches of snow at my suburban home. 

• Like 4

Over 8000 outages in Wake County to Meck's 2000 outages but it has changed to just rain there now too. 

This storm dumped 12 inches in Arkansas, 6 inches of snow in Mississippi, snow in GA SC NC TN now VA and now heading north to New England.  in the end it will have brought snow from Arkansas to Maine! 

• Like 3

watching the last live coverage of the Weather Channel's coverage in Charlotte last night.   They were uptown in front of Legacy and showed scenes up Tryon and he even called it downtown then said uptown and corrected himself.  (I thought there were a lot more people out and about they I would imagine walking and driving up Tryon)   Then he pivoted the next shot over 277 the Tryon bridge and showed the light traffic.  About that time a glacier flew off a car heading towards 77 and of course he emphasized the need to clear off your whole car or those ice sheets could crack someone's windows.    lets hope the weather channel crew does not come back to Charlotte this year LOL!  We had their B crew the A crew like Jim Cantore was up in Asheville. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was terrible in PA along I-81 a major corridor to the Northeast.  5 people killed in this pile up.  Do not ever tell me people in a certain part of the country can drive better on snow or ice.  No one can and this is truly sad.  

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/pileup-shuts-down-interstate-81-pennsylvania-snow-squall/1163901

• Sad 2